Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: a cure for the common beadlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default a cure for the common beadlock

well, for the 'likes to strip out' venom variety at least.

a 2mm x 10mm S/T screw will perfectly replace the 1.5mm fine tread screws in the venom beadlock ... and do one thing the stock screws won't ...

... tighten down solid without stripping.

I got mine from duratrax pt number DTXQ0201 it's an assorted bag of various sized 2mm self tapping (S/T) screws. It has 5 x 10mm, 5 x 6mm which both work and 10 other screws in shorter lengths. The bag is something like a $1.89 at tower so I bought 9 bags to get enough for my needs. If anyone has a source for just the 2mm x 10mm S/T screws I'm all ears (I could use some spares without all the extra sizes).

Anywho ... just thought I'd post up and pass it along ... maybe a Venom CS will see it and they'll make a good decision about their choice of beadlock screws

Last edited by Rockfrog; 09-17-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You could always try the local hardware store...for those out there that don't like metric screws,you can also go standard.use 2-56 cap screws.I think .375" in length is the right length or maybe .500"
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It's highly unlikely to find a screw as small as a 2mm S/T thread in a hardware store. Best I've ever found was 4-40 machine thread or a #4 wood screw ... both far too big.
he problem with even a 2-56 is the thread depth and seperation is too shallow/narrow to fully bite into the plastic ... thus the reason the 1.5mm screws strip out so easily. By usuing a self tapping (S/T) thread you solve both those issues at once.
Now, with the 2mm x 10mm S/T screws I can tighten the rings again and the grab fully without any hint of stripping.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Its just as easy to drill and tap for a 4-40 screw.....I'm a machinist and we use standard size screws in the shop.so they are always available.that's why I like standard over metric.I'd rather not pay for screws that I don't have to
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

yea thats y i dont want to mess with mine i put them togather than i took them apart again for the wheel weights than thay started to strip so i dont want to mess with tham anymore but i was crawling the other day and the ruber tire started to come out of the bead lock so i dont ant to mess with it so im scrude lmao get it ahahah no but yea
green venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by green venom View Post
yea thats y i dont want to mess with mine i put them togather than i took them apart again for the wheel weights than thay started to strip so i dont want to mess with tham anymore but i was crawling the other day and the ruber tire started to come out of the bead lock so i dont ant to mess with it so im scrude lmao get it ahahah no but yea
Try 2-56 thread screws,,much courser threads but similar in size. Or,,go to a small pitch button head wood screw or sheet metal screw
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

what i did was abit over kill but i havent had a problem since i did it. i took the bead locks and drilled them with a 1/8 bit. then i countersunk/resessed them. then i took the rims and drilled the 1.5mm holes to 2mm. then i took a 3m counter sink screw and screwed them into the holes. haved had a problem since with striping or the beads coming out...i found this to be a cheap and easy fix...you can see pics of them in my build thread...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

SEARS

they probable have what you want
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I use M3 hardware. No stripping so far. They have been off a lot of times too.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote