Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Just about to buy need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Just about to buy need advice

OK I canceled my order for my venom at ckrc. I did not get the right electronics. Now I was going to get the crawler, fireball 50t, sidewinder sv2 and programming link. Does this sound ok. I will only be using a regular 7.2v 4200mah battery and have a 2.4 ghz radio. I also will not be going into any comp with it. None around here anyways. Any advice or changes.
gates59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

traxxas shafts xvds(with some time to clean up tp make them better)
RMD parts man you cant go wrong i would say pinlox and creeper link and the most

and you not going to run a servo (i would run Hitec thats al iv used 7955 or 7950)
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have a couple of all metal servo's. 15kg. Not the best but I have them so will use it. So my pick of a 50t motor sounds ok. How would that compare to my rs10 that I got rid of. I had both the rs10 and xt model. I found the xt to be way too slow.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

dont know about the rs but i run a 55t but used to run a 35t and there is not a hole lot of difference in wheel speed but in torque there is but i run 3s and 17t
if you say those servos are 15 kilograms thats a lot of torque but 200 - 300 for bashing and 300- 500 for comps

get a bec as well from castle
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Why do these esc still need a bec. That is sad that they are not designed to run without them. What a pain in the ass to solder wires and buy even more crap. The esc and programmer alone cost more than the whole venom and now a bec. You have me thinking about giving up. Too much dam crap to shove in there and wires all over. Someone needs to invent a receiver that has a esc and bec in one. That would be awesome.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you need a bec for your steering these crawlers take alot of abuse and voltage. when you wire the bec the correct way it sends volts straight to the servo thus giving you more run time and prevents servo glitching.
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

How many amps should I be looking for. Also should it be 6v or is 5v ok. Also does anyone know if the castle sv2 built so no need to cut or splice wires.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Anyone have a better idea for a esc. I dont think I need a programmable one. Also one less thing to buy.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well if you get the Castle Creation 10amp BEC your going to need the Castle link. With that said you might as well get the Sidewinder V2 as well, you can use the link to program both. Only thing you would have to do with the sidewinder is solder the battery wires and the BEC wires to a set of plugs for your battery. I would say get deans plugs for the battery and the ESC. Also grab a set of male deans plugs if your charge doesn't have deans on it.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 03-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

best thing what i think is tekin fxr 7 amp bec hi tec 7950 and on the bec 7 amps all the way the fxr has a great break hold and easy to use one of the best
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

im going to give my opion that is going to counterdict everyones elses opion...

i personally run a sidewinder v1 in my creeper with a bec, set at 6.3 volts and this savox servo http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1256...avsc1256tg.htm with a home brew bta steering setup.

now my friend WAS running his creeper with the same servo, novak rooster esc and NO bec. he also had stock steering. now with that being said, both speed controllers put out about 5.2ish volts. my friends would steer just fine. have the same amount of power as mine does with the bta steering as this setup requires more power. now he put on the ckrc bta and then tells me that is has way less power...then i tell him to buy a bec and set it to 6 volts. he did and its still not quite the same power wise...

to get to the point. if your not comping where you need every ounce of power you need dont worry about getting a bec. you will be fine with out it. im probally gonna make somebody mad about saying this but some peeps on here think because you buy a creeper, ax10, bully....automatically assume you want to get the best of the best to bash or comp with.... i say the set up you got going will do you fine for what it sounds like you want to do...when i first started crawling i used a hitech 645mg and i think it has around 150ish oz of torque and it worked fine for me untill i started comping...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #12

one thing i want to add is i would go away from the fireball 50t i just took that motor out of my creeper. I had it in for one run and damn could you smell it burning but i also was on 2s lipo but just wanted to put that out there.
super-maxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
RCC Addict

i know some one who runs fireball motors in his xr10 and there fine the motors fine and if you do not get the bec you will
1 : not get all out of your servo
2 : if you get in a bind then it might be drawing so much power for the reciver that it will shut the servo off the reciver off and the you have to lift the front end so its out of the bind and then you will get power again ask me how i know this (my dads bully did it)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys for all the replies. I was up all night reading and still do not know for sure what I should get so ended up getting almost what I first ordered. Got the red venom, venom fireball 50t and a duratrax intellispeed auto-sport esc. I know it does not have a drag brake but I don't think I will need it for what I want it for. Also did not want to mess with programming. I also read that there are some glitches with the sv-2.