Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: Door County in August

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Door County in August

Headed up to the Peninsula State park early August. I'm not sure what there is I plan to scout the area till I find more then just pebbles. The lake will make for good scaler pictures.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #2

Just spent the w/e up in Door County. Instead of Peninsula, we stayed at Potowatamy. One of the sites I stayed in had a perfect crawl spot. As soon as I find the camera, I'll post a few shots of what I saw. PotStPk also has about 8 miles of MTB trail there. I know you ride, so you can get the double hit there.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

Thanks

I plan to crawl on the way to the park. There is a few areas along the lake that others have posted that look inviting. Once I arrive though I'd be on the hunt for rocks I know last time it was sort of sparse. I was sort of thinking 1.9 scaler pic action down by the lake I know it was like cobble stone down there.

I was really planing on MTB'ing but cracked my frame this weekend on a down hill rock garden section.:neutral: I've got a free replacement one on the way but no way to get it together in the time as I upgraded to their higher end All Mountain frame and stuff is different. Oh well at least I'm getting a higher end bike for free.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Definitely post if you find some good spots. We're headed up that way later in August.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have hiked the EAGLE trail and there is a LOT of crawlable rock on/off that trail.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
MWRCA'er

Thanks for the tips..

I leave around 2:00 saturday night, if the hotel has internet I'll get a trip highlights thing going here in this thread.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #7

Here's shots of the camp site/crawl site from Potowatomy St. park.

Take this as a grain of salt - but I don't even have a crawler yet, so I don't know if there are lines here or not.

Too bad about the bike - at least they're replacing it for you. What is it?

Last edited by martini; 08-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
MWRCA'er

Bike is a Ibex Ignition 3 www.ibexbikes.com They have the best bargins of the industry and their customer service reps are excellent to deal with. I'm a larger rider 230 6.3 so I'm a bit rough on my stuff. Ibex took care of me though and mailed me their higher end Atlas frame free. In the process of the swap I have to order tools and things to get the cranks changed out.

Anyways had a great time! I'm not usually much into the touristy vacations. I mean give me a fishing pole on a lake or drop me off in some rural adventure location where I can put dirt on tires and I'd have blast. So I wasn't totally into the crowds of people raiding and blocking the very lame gravel bike trails on walmart bikes. Or the mass chao's of shopping or driving much around town. But, it was a break from work and and good family vacation experence.

The top 3 highlights of the trip went like this.

1. Met up with Schmenzer and a few New York vacationers in Milwaukee on the way up and crawled some of the best terrain in the midwest. Schmenzer was really a terrific guide leading us from wonderful beach front to wonderful beach front. Wish we had pictures, we forgot the camera in the car. Schmenzer took some along with the New yorkers so there still maybe hope of getting some pics posted. We will make a trip or two yet this year back to those rocky beach locations. It was great meeting up with people to crawl, nothing beats it.

2. Found a good crawl spot in the park that was fun to drive on. Wasn't fantastic but wasn't bad either. Was nice to take a break from the tourist people activitys. Pics later in the thread...

3. Had a good beer at the fish boil restraunt. Went with the pork rib meal this year. Totally blew the fish meal out of the water. I had the fish last year it was pretty bad, bone filled ect. The ribs and fries were some of the best I've ever had. Maybe I just haven't been out much or it was the alcohol but some of the women there, Wow!

Worst parts of the trip.

1. Nearly got in fight with a tourist who seemed to think his slow block the whole trail family owned the bike trail.

2. Hotel was like half the size the internet pictures showed. Was the size of my computer room. With 6 people we were roughing it.

3. Truck got 14mpg's on the highway up. We were certainly loaded down with gear though. Dropping 3 mph on the way back we got 16mph.

This is what we found in the park. I'm sure there are several same or better areas along the water. This was one of those drive by, oh that looks good.

It had a pretty loose hill climb.

I just can't describe how much fun it is to drive the little Tamiya XC. The realism really puts you in the driver seat.

Zach brought his freshly bought and rebuilt FJ out to the romp. I guess it was in the car action mag a while back. He got such a good deal on it he would have been totally insane to pass it up.

Staircase had a cool crawler hill hand rail.

Scalers are so much fun to drive as they don't require much for terrain to have fun with.

There was a good R/C truck trail system along the beach. At least it seemed that way. It was sort of grassy so I was always on the look out for snakes.

Tacoma Jero climbing a smooth boulder. Those Trail doctors really snatch.

In the woods was also fun. The trees were really close making for some fun lines.

Of course you could always drive on the rocks in the water for even more fun.

After playing around a while Zach decided to hit the tougher sections of rocks.

The Tacoma Jero was soon to follow with plastic driver Jim behind the wheel.

Jim needed a clean pair of shorts.

Thats all for now if the video is good enough maybe I'll get around to uploading it...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Here's shots of the camp site/crawl site from Potowatomy St. park.

Take this as a grain of salt - but I don't even have a crawler yet, so I don't know if there are lines here or not.

That looks like great spot. We checked that park out on the way home the boat launch had some great rocks.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

We're headed to Peninsula State Park next week, thanks for the pics. You just solidified the packing of the Honcho and the kid's AX-10!
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote