Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Let's define 70% body..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
2006 2.2 National Champ

Arrow Let's define 70% body..........

I was thinking about this rule the other day and thought it should be discussed/defined in more detail.

From the RCC rule book:
1. The body must be 1/10th scale or larger.

Does this mean any 1/10th scale body? What about a touring car or bug body, as long as it's 1/10th?

2. The body can be cut/modified but must retain 70% of it's original form, the width of the cab must be the factory width.

Are fender flares freebie's or considered part of the body? Can the nose and tail of the body be narrowed, as long as the cab is untouched?

I wanted to go back to my original Jeep body on my TXT, but I don't think it qualifies as 70%.
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I personally think flares should be a freebee as they are not part of the fender on a 1-1 rig; they are just there to keep the driver legal.

That said I think even with the flares not counting I think that is a little past 70%
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i think its past 70%
roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Does everyone have access to a postage scale?

Weigh the painted body at 100% size with wheelwells cut out.

Start cutting. Weigh the body as you go along.

When you get to 70% of the original weight, stop cutting.

Someone could post a sticky with the 70% weights of popular bodies if he were ambitious and had a bunch of them laying around (and were sure of their legal status).

While it's not an ideal solution, it's universally enforceable. If the rules say an HPI Bronco has to weigh X ounces and Joe Bob's Bronco is X minus 1/2 ounces, then it's illegal and he'll have to find a new one (or slap a few stickers on at the last minute).

It's the sticker issue that could screw things up. You could have a body cut to 50% with a pound of stickers all over it that would still be "legal" under this definition.

Anyone got a better idea?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thats a tough one. I would say limit the sticker usage and the paint thickness. If it is obvious that the weight is being padded, call the shot and DQ it. There really is no cut and dry method that I can think of since paint and stickers both add weight.

I got it, only allow unpainted and unstickered bodies!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I am building a rig using the remnants of a 1:6 scale Nylint body. Weight wise, the plastic roll cage, front bumper assembly, interior, etc etc etc weigh A LOT!!! I have cut down the weight a lot by removing these items, but have still obtained, from what I can see from sight, 70%+ of the body. I may have 70% of the body, but probably 30% of the original weight. When done, my "jeep body will still look like a jeep body," but it will weigh much less than original...............yet it will still be much heavier than a full lexan body.:?

If the rules are dictated by weight, how about just a blunt statement that your body must weigh at least XX oz. to be eligible? That kinda brings everyone into the same class, no matter what exact body they started with.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The weight rule was intended for Lexan bodies, and for them it would work well, I think, with the exception of the stickers-as-ballast cheat.

I only proposed weight as a way to determine how much of the body was left.

The 70% rule is there to keep crawlers looking somewhat like real trucks.

As far as the Nylint body, let the Powers That Be rule on it. I'm just a psychopathic moron with a postage scale.

Last edited by microgoat; 12-19-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I say run it Bender. As long as it's somewhat close, I don't think that anyone should get p!ssy about it. When that crap starts, I'll quit going to comps. That's when it gets to be no fun, which is why I started doing this in the first place.

BTW, if you feel like cleaning off left-over paint (I didn't like the job) I'll send you a rock-pleazer that has more body than that on it. The bed is bobbed exactly the same way, but there's still a grill and front fenders to it. Never been used, just painted, no body holes either.

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I had a close one at the last GR comp

I actualy brought some of the pieces that I cut with me so that I could tape them on if anyone complained

I'd say run it Bender, I've seen bodies that had alot less material in CO
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If the 70% rule is to keep the trucks looking like trucks, why not just change the rule to say that it has to look like a truck (or vehicle)? I go to a comp for fun too, but we dont really enforce much besides points. I would have no problem with trucks running bodyless, or as a tube frame that didnt resemble anything but a box. For me a comp should just be a comp and not a place for people to show thier scale bodies.

I say run it, it looks like a good crawler body to me. I have seen less body on full size rigs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
For me a comp should just be a comp and not a place for people to show thier scale bodies.
AMEN!! I think that the bodies rule is kinda lame. If it were a scale trucks only, trail drive type thing, then I would agree. But as far as bodies go, what about the guy who shows up with an awesome tube frame buggy, but no body, because there is none that fits it? Does he have to put a body on there to run? What about panels, does he need those too???

Kinda a lame rule, who really cares what they look like. Look back at the old cars. They dont really look anything like what we drive today. Does that make then not cars? I mean, a Ferrari Enzo doesnt look anything like a model T, does that make one of the two not a car.

**** the rule, I say! (In a way that doesnt offend anyone, at least anyone who could ban me, take away privledges, etc.)

Merry Christmas
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
2006 2.2 National Champ

I don't think anyone would say too much if I ran that body at the next CO comp, I just figured maybe we could define it a little better.

I went back to this body, which is just as borderline as the Jeep.
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a truck to me. Got a hood, cab, doors, & a bed too. What else do you need.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'd be more worried about getting my truck over the rocks than what body someone else is running. I hope crawling never gets to the point where we spend more time in tech inspection and protests than in actual competition.

With that out of the way:

Instead of weighing the body, what about a body board? Establish minimum dimensions for length, width and height using a leangth of board, the exact dimensions to be determined by a "panel" (get it?) of experts. Set the body next to the board. If it's too short in any dimension, sorry Charlie.

This way Bender can hack up his hood without altering the basic dimensions of his body. Highmark, you might have had a problem at GR.

There are a few Baja Bug crawlers in the 1:1 world. It'd be a good body to run, the fenders are out of the way and the cab is narrow. Ban it or run it?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I'd be more worried about getting my truck over the rocks than what body someone else is running. I hope crawling never gets to the point where we spend more time in tech inspection and protests than in actual competition.

With that out of the way:

Instead of weighing the body, what about a body board? Establish minimum dimensions for length, width and height using a leangth of board, the exact dimensions to be determined by a "panel" (get it?) of experts. Set the body next to the board. If it's too short in any dimension, sorry Charlie.

This way Bender can hack up his hood without altering the basic dimensions of his body. Highmark, you might have had a problem at GR.

There are a few Baja Bug crawlers in the 1:1 world. It'd be a good body to run, the fenders are out of the way and the cab is narrow. Ban it or run it?
that sounds a little like NASCAR. they have templates for critical dimensions of the outer body, that must fit in the templates(spoilers, fenders, etc...)

my personal opinion is that it is very difficult to tell what exactly is 70%. i think that if it looks like what it started out to be, and not just a colored 'cab', then it's cool. as long as people can recognize that it's a jeep/chevy pu or whatever.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I think DTP has the right idea. Just require competetors to have stock cab area, maybe 3/4 of the hood, and something that resembles a bed. No fenders required, though.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I hope crawling never gets to the point where we spend more time in tech inspection and protests than in actual competition.
I second that one. Preach on brutha. This is a hobby for fun, not bickering.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I say rules are good. They just mean you have to get creative with the way you inturpret them. Or find a body that fits the rules like the one I bought. It's 90%.
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

This is my comp body:

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/520/img050622ww.jpg
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...tid=4258&stc=1

According to the 2.2 rules, its illegal, because it is not a "truck". While I agree you need a fair bit of material left, I don't know if its 70% necessarily. My body is a toyota corolla rally car, which mounted like that looks pretty sweet in my opinion. Before I had a VW bug body (also illegal). I don't think a person's creativity should be stifled by this rule but I do believe a body is necessary unless the chassis encompasses the shape of the truck altogether (ie: tuber, or a metal paneled vehicle, which wouldn't happen because it'd be too heavy).

(EDIT: rules musta changed or I musta been retarded, I thought before 2.2's were required to run a "truck" body)

How about:

a body must retain its cab, a portion of the hood, and a portion of its rear. The front and rear may be cut to allow for suspension movement, chassis components needing to protrude through the body, and to relieve tire rubbing, but should otherwise remain intact. The sides of the vehicle may be cut to shorten the height of the body, but must be atleast .5" tall before the seam of the window.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 12-25-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The bickering about rules is a big problem out here. A few people take it way to seriously. I think it's cool when I do good in a comp but I"m not going to gripe if someone with less body wins. I really doubt I'd do better with less lexan anyway. But my comp body is this

It's so small because anymore material in the rear whould literally stop the truck. The rear flexed so much that it grabbed the body and bound up the truck. But this season's rules where a little less strick. I've got a new body to paint for '06
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote