Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA > WRCCA Rules

Notices

Thread: Rules Question - Hitting both gates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rules Question - Hitting both gates

A question about hitting both gates was brought up at our state finals and we were unsure about the specifics of this. Just to clarify, we decided NOT to abide by this rule, but I was still curious.

We had a competitor hit both tennis balls while trying to progress one of the gates on a 10 gate course. Obviously, we issued 2 10 point penalties, however, others were mentioning that since he had hit both gates, now he was not eligible to get the progress points from that gate (so, at the end of his run, if he had gone through all gates, we could only issue -18 progress points).

Only two people had heard of this rule before and since we had not been following that for the whole day, we decided NOT to enforce it on this run.

I was still curious.....is this a rule? Has it been a rule in the past? I have not ever heard of this rule and had not seen it enforced at any of the bigger comps I've been to and I can not find anything in the rules that mentions this.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rules Question - Hitting both gates

You must be thinking of 20 point bypass rule. If you use that, then you can not issue progress points once 20 points is acquired when attempting a gate. That is not used in a pro class, only sportsman, I thought.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

7.3.2 - A driver can only continue with the course when a gate is cleared or 20 pts (if optional by pass rules are used) at that gate is accumulated.

If no bypass is used, while the 2 markers are now dead due to penalties, the gate still exists as a possible way to achieve progress. This is how our club has always run this rule based on above rule since we do not use by pass rules.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Old guy

The by-pass rule works good for the newbes class.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nope, I specifically asked if they were referring to the 20 point bypass and they said no. What they are referring to sounds like the opposite of the bypass. It penalizes the driver for getting 20 points on a gate, by not allowing them the ability to accumulate progress points from that gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
7.3.2 - A driver can only continue with the course when a gate is cleared or 20 pts (if optional by pass rules are used) at that gate is accumulated.

If no bypass is used, while the 2 markers are now dead due to penalties, the gate still exists as a possible way to achieve progress. This is how our club has always run this rule based on above rule since we do not use by pass rules.
Yeah, that was about as close as I have found. And if you look at rule 7.2.1, it talks about how to clear a gate and does not mention anything about the points accumulated up to that point.

Is it possible that some old rule like this existed and their memories are starting to slowly fade?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nope, I specifically asked if they were referring to the 20 point bypass and they said no. What they are referring to sounds like the opposite of the bypass. It penalizes the driver for getting 20 points on a gate, by not allowing them the ability to accumulate progress points from that gate.

Yeah, that was about as close as I have found. And if you look at rule 7.2.1, it talks about how to clear a gate and does not mention anything about the points accumulated up to that point.

Is it possible that some old rule like this existed and their memories are starting to slowly fade?
I don't remember ever reading about any rule like that.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I don't remember ever reading about any rule like that.
Good. Then it sounds like we made the correct decision to not abide by that.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know we use this rule in the 2 clubs I crawl with. It's not bad but does get confusing if u hit the last 2 gates on the finish ! No progress ! But from what I've been told its a optional rule .
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have hit both gates plenty of times LOL and unless it points him out or time expires he is still good, when/if all 4 wheels pass the gate he still gets progress points.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
I have hit both gates plenty of times LOL and unless it points him out or time expires he is still good, when/if all 4 wheels pass the gate he still gets progress points.
That's pretty much the answer to the guys asking about this situation. It's good to hear that we made the right judgement call.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Relaxed !

[QUOTE=JeremyH;3809235]Good. Then it sounds like we made the correct decision to not abide by that.

Good call Jeremy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebomb View Post
I know we use this rule in the 2 clubs I crawl with. It's not bad but does get confusing if u hit the last 2 gates on the finish ! No progress ! But from what I've been told its a optional rule .
Ok, so you go the entire course then hit both markers on last gate but still finish said course and now you say no progress on last gate !! And now there's no possible way of finishing ! Now that's f'd up ! IMO
Whomever said "optional rule", could they please show it to all of us who have never heard of such a thing ? Could this be a "club" rule ? the only rule with "20pts" is the "optional" bypass rule, wich I personally haven't seen at a comp in a few yrs. if you do get that info please share

Wow I sure messed Jeremy's quote up Hahn ? Lol

Last edited by sococrawler; 07-05-2012 at 04:11 PM.
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sococrawler View Post
Ok, so you go the entire course then hit both markers on last gate but still finish said course and now you say no progress on last gate !! And now there's no possible way of finishing ! Now that's f'd up ! IMO
No, they were saying that you can keep going and finish the course, but you dont have the potential for the -2 progress for that gate. So....if there were 10 gates, you can only potentially get -18 progress (assuming you finish).

Quote:
Whomever said "optional rule", could they please show it to all of us who have never heard of such a thing ? Could this be a "club" rule ? the only rule with "20pts" is the "optional" bypass rule, wich I personally haven't seen at a comp in a few yrs. if you do get that info please share
I didnt really want to call them out, I was more just curious if this had ever been a rule...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The guys were obviously confusing the bypass rule's part of no progress points as a general "no progress points" rule that applies to somebody once they hit both gates.

Its not in the rules so I said no way.

Clubs should either follow the bypass rule or not. But this hybrid no progress rule is silly. Just because both gates are dead doesn't mean the gate can't be progressed. Why not allow them to progress the gate? They already hit two gates, like thats not bad enough? Now we have to ding them for another 2 points? Thats a little over the top.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

To many rules.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Relaxed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
No, they were saying that you can keep going and finish the course, but you dont have the potential for the -2 progress for that gate. So....if there were 10 gates, you can only potentially get -18 progress (assuming you finish).

I didnt really want to call them out, I was more just curious if this had ever been a rule...
I may have misunderstood what I read ! Lol
Thanks for callin me out Jeremy ! Lol j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
To many rules.
Too many interpretations of the rules !
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

No calling of anyone...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I may have misunderstood what I read ! Lol
Thanks for callin me out Jeremy ! Lol j/k

Too many interpretations of the rules !
A lot of rules, don't need to exist.

Rules Question - Hitting both gates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bonus Gates and out of sequence question TruckerBrad WRCCA Rules 2 06-05-2011 09:44 PM
Question about gates gregrocks90046 WRCCA Rules 2 01-09-2006 10:08 PM