Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: XTM X-Crawler how to open gearbox ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Question XTM X-Crawler how to open gearbox ?

Guys,

As expected my front gearbox has given up on me and I recevied the replacement gears from Globalhobby.

How to actually open the gearbox without making a mess, from which side and whot to take care about ?

I'll actually wait and read your opinion before changing it as I am totally new at this.

Last edited by Le0Heart; 01-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Le0Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

best bet as i just found out by luck. remove the steering knuckles, then you will have access to the press fit pins on the ends of the axle. i used a park tools chain break tool for a bicycle to get the pins started and then used a punch to get it the rest of the way. remove the motor mount side from the center section. the biggest thing to be careful of is there are 3 brass spacers sitting on the dowels that the gears sit on. dont lose them or the gears wont stay meshed correctly. the bearings are pretty good about staying put if enough grease has gotten to them but keep an eye out for those to as they like to roll away if they get out of the case. good luck.... im in germany so im testing some loctite weld resin to see how long that will hold up since i cant just go get gears out here. if you remove the window side first the gear attached to the axle will keep the other gears in place so you can take note of how they go together.

Last edited by Super Woody; 01-19-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: miss info on side to remove...sorry. wrote it wrong but did mine right.
Super Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

I removed the knuckles and can see the pins. I also removed all screws from center housing so my left side of axel and right side of axel are un-screwed from center housing. Center housing can move rotationaly a bit uptill gears block it inside.

Now, after removing the pins on end of the axel shaft, how do i go further from there ?? I reached this far... pics below..

Last edited by Le0Heart; 01-07-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Le0Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The pins im speaking of removing are the silver pins on the ends of the black axle. They will have to be pressed out with either a chainbreak tool or a punch. then there are two small c-clips holding the black axle into the axle housing. after removing those you will be able to remove the axle housing.
good luck
Old 01-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

you have probably already found out by now you only have to take the side off on the motor side to get into the gears. take that axle pin out with a punch,then one C-clipright at the outer axle, then undo the motor and unscrew the motor side of the housing and your in.
sniper08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le0Heart View Post
Guys,

As expected my front gearbox has given up on me and I recevied the replacement gears from Globalhobby.

How to actually open the gearbox without making a mess, from which side and whot to take care about ?

I'll actually wait and read your opinion before changing it as I am totally new at this.
its not that hard i went to my second set and they faild to so i welded them and redrilled
dthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Is it pretty easy to get the gears from Global? I got mine completely built (finished) and went out to test them no more than 5 minutes, and gears in front diff are shot.

Are the replacements any better?

I should have read this thread before I started taking mine apart because it took me forever to get inside, and I probably disassembled more than I really had to. Oh Well!!
teamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

truthfully i didnt even mess with global because i read that the replacement gears were just "staked in place" i dont know about you but i like running mine and not taking it apart soooooo.... i went with the one piece gears hobbypeople has for 15 dollars a piece to kill this problem once and for all.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

oh yeah dont even bother JB welding the gears...mine last 5 minutes after curing for 48 hours. weld em up or buy one piece
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Thanks for your help Super Woody. I was wondering about JB weld. Glad you mentioned this doesn't work. Found the parts on Hobby Peoples site. Going to order tonight.

Why doesn't Global step up and have a one piece gear to replace all of these since apparently everybody has the same problem?

Will they replace the stock part under warranty or do they consider it abuse?
teamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

from what i hear Global is pretty good about sending you the full set of gears no charge but they are just staked together press fit gear. i dont feel like taking mine apart again so...ill pay for the one piece gears.