• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

20" BMX bike tire foam insert available

Nova's Ark

Tire&Foam Extraordinaire
Subscribed Member

Crawler Innovations was the first to combine closed cell and open cell foam into one package with our Double Deuce and Lil’ Nova product lines. After we'd perfected those systems, we turned our attention towards the faster paced rock racer, heavy scalers, and basher genres. The Deuce's Wild Foam line was created. Using only the firm inner material, while focusing on the machined size and shape of the foam.

CWR-3033 is designed for use in 20" BMX bicycle tires. Specifically for 20x2.35" Tires with Tubeless Rims. The purpose of this foam is to prevent sidewall pinch flats, tire burping, cushion hard impacts, and allow the tire to be ridden without air pressure. One foam weighs 4 ounces or 113 grams. This foam requires a tubeless air system. In theory, the rider should be able to run high or low air pressure in the tire and never have to worry about a tire burp or pinch flat. The only way the tire should lose air is by a hole or gash, and even then it should maintain the ability to be ridden. The foam will not allow the tire tread to touch the rim ever.

With this foam, it is possible to use a softer compound tire because the Deuces Wild Foam will add the structure needed for the tire to hold its shape.

These foams will fit many other brands of tires and rims, as long as they are similar in height and width.

These foams require a tubeless air system.

These foams rely on a small air gap between the foam and tire. This loose area allows for the tire to obtain traction, while the foam supports the tire.

Approximate size: 19.50" Height x 1.750" Width (Remember that foam goes inside the tire and one must subtract lug and carcass thickness, plus any reinforcing from the overall tire height.)

This video discusses the 20" BMX Tire Foam Insert that was developed by Crawler Innovations in 2018 after watching the summer X Games and seeing so many park riders fail to complete full runs due to flat tires. This tire foam insert was developed so that BMX riders would have the ability to always finish a run with a run flat technology, but more importantly, they can tune the tire pressure to their liking, instead of being forced to run extremely high tire pressures to combat flats. The only issue is that there is not a tubeless rim and tire available to our knowledge. If you can help with this, please comment, email, or contact Crawler Innovations.
Tire and foam tech by Crawler Innovations.
CWR-3033
https://www.crawlerinnovations.com/de...

https://www.crawlerinnovations.com
https://www.activatedoutlaw.org

#crawlerinnovations #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildfoams #lilnovafoams #rccrawler #6boltwheels #cicellblock

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7PDOpGX0qVA?si=iIouZKWsJKH1dP_2" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As an old man, I have zero interest in BMX these days, but it is very cool to see RC tech translate to BMX.

As an old man that recently resurrected his 30yo XSPro, I find this very interesting. Too bad I respoked my Schwinn hubs onto some cheap Stranger XL wide barrels.

As a temporarily retired (currently stay at home Dad) bicycle engineer this is pretty much cushcore (Home - Cushcore) which started in 2017. There's now many versions of this by many companies for the mtb and gravel bike world. Some work great, the cushcore included. Main difference is most are molded or extruded vs the machined crawler innovations closed cell foams.

But foam inserts have come and gone for years. I remember seeing something in the 90s to work with tubes. Kind of like the current tannus armor inserts (Armour Inserts). Really not much that hasn't been tried in the 120+years of bike development. They had disc brakes in the 70s but didn't catch on until about 2000.

To the OP, you can pretty much make any modern bike wheel tubeless. Search the Internet for ghetto tubeless. It works because bike tires require sealant in order to hold air for any length of time. They've even started making some stuff like this for motocross spoked wheels which traditionally use tubes.

Why you want to get into the bike industry is beyond me, and bmx bikes even more so. The common saying is if you want to make a million dollars in the bike industry, you need to start with 2 million. But I guess like rc crawlers, it's more about passion than money.

As a temporarily retired (currently stay at home Dad) bicycle engineer this is pretty much cushcore (Home - Cushcore) which started in 2017. There's now many versions of this by many companies for the mtb and gravel bike world. Some work great, the cushcore included. Main difference is most are molded or extruded vs the machined crawler innovations closed cell foams.

But foam inserts have come and gone for years. I remember seeing something in the 90s to work with tubes. Kind of like the current tannus armor inserts (Armour Inserts). Really not much that hasn't been tried in the 120+years of bike development. They had disc brakes in the 70s but didn't catch on until about 2000.

To the OP, you can pretty much make any modern bike wheel tubeless. Search the Internet for ghetto tubeless. It works because bike tires require sealant in order to hold air for any length of time. They've even started making some stuff like this for motocross spoked wheels which traditionally use tubes.

Why you want to get into the bike industry is beyond me, and bmx bikes even more so. The common saying is if you want to make a million dollars in the bike industry, you need to start with 2 million. But I guess like rc crawlers, it's more about passion than money.
I appreciate your input.
The inserts CI machines are very different from cushcore. Cushcore is designed to hug the rim and does not extend into the tire. The CI machined insert is taunt to the rim, but shaped to allow an air gap around the foam, inside the tire, so that the pocket of air pressure can be used to tune the tire to the terrain. And yes, the tire can be ridden with no air pressure.

And I am not looking for money. I made these inserts in 2018, sadly I am looking to see the product improve the experience of the riders, and no one else seems to see the merit in it. I have given away thousands of dollars in both MTB and BMX inserts since 2018. These have not been a product that has sold. Every rider that has used the inserts correctly, have reported back with an improved riding experience. But if the gods and the people don't shine on a product, it won't go anywhere.

Very interesting. I just picked up a BMX bike on a whim ($25 on the side of the road, it looked pretty cool) - first time I've sat on one since I was 16 and then popped in here and saw this. It's like fate is speaking! :) Lots has changed since I rode last, but sounds like pinched tires is still a thing (had a ton of flats that way) CI foams in bike tires? Awesome!

The cushcore also extends into the tire (maybe not as much as yours)and can be ridden with a flat tire (one of the main advantages of cushcore vs other inserts) and you tune the feel of the tire using air pressure.

If the insert extends too much into the tire then it doesn't matter what the pressure is because you are essentially riding on the insert. Kind of like trucks with worn leaf springs that ride on the bottom out bumpers.

I was kind of kidding about the money. Hell, I've devoted my professional life to bikes since I was 17 because I really like them. Certainly not rich though.

By making bmx inserts though you might have picked the hardest part of the entire bike industry. They really only want to buy products from other hardcore BMX riders. You gotta go ride with them, support the comps, sponsor riders or teams and so on. If they think for one minute you're in it to just make money it's over. Honestly, it's kind of cool how tight the bmx community is like that but it can really limit new ideas.

MTB isn't too far behind but there's a lot more mountain bike riders. They also tend to be older with money to spend than the bmx kids, so more stuff gets tried and word spreads, etc. But even they often complain how much the cushcore costs and buy cheaper, less effective products. Though the competition is vast and some are very close in performance for less money now. Also depends on what you need. I don't need to be able to ride home on a flat (I'm old and carry repair supplies), but saving my rim from getting dented and a cut tire is a very desirable thing for my wallet.

Good luck with the inserts here on though.

Last edited:
Back