Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Looking for some input from Jeep owners...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Here's some of the most recent pics before the tags ran out and I put 'er up on stands in the backyard to work on.

Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

That's a nice jeep!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
3.07's I thought I was hurtin' on the hills. What's A/C?
Yeah, 3.07's with the 3-speed isn't bad, but there is just no power. Once it's paid for an mine, I'm getting a commuter to build some axles.

A/C is awesome.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Yeah, 3.07's with the 3-speed isn't bad, but there is just no power. Once it's paid for an mine, I'm getting a commuter to build some axles.

A/C is awesome.
I looked all over for a set of axles. I was looking for a 60/60 combo...but of course the front 60's are not the easiest to find in a drivers drop...and if you do, people usually know what it is they have and would want way too much for it. If it was a king pin...even more. I ended up finding a guy off VJC that had a set up for sale. The rear is a 60 (older small spline count though)...and the front is a HD44. That front 44 is almost as beefy as the 60. Has the same tube thickness and size as the 60 and is a high pinion. Only paid $500 for both in complete and decent shape.

I've gotten the rear mostly complete with all new hub parts and a disc conversion...it just needs the new r&p gearing and locker. Not sure if I am going to worry about the low spline shafts till I need to. I don't think it'll see alot of stress with the XJ's weight and lower powered I6.

The front one is still just as I bought it. Haven't even tore it down yet. I was hoping that I would start with the rear axle....and by the time I got to the front...I may have found myself a front 60. Didn't really happen that way...so i guess I'll need to tear into that front one now. the front will take alot more work to figure out and more money along with that.

I ditched my A/C about a year ago after it started leaking. The plan was to use the compressor as an onboard air source. We'll see if the plan stays true...or if I end up putting the A/C back in :?

Last edited by Offroader5; 07-23-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

What size tires are you planning on running? The 35's or jumping to 37's? I plan on running a simmilar combo for my TJ, or a 9" in the rear if I can get a deal on a big bearing version. The front axle shouldn't be much of an issue as far as setting it up, check out TNT Customs (Go Treks now). They have a front axle truss that can be welded on with all stock brackets for TJ/XJ/MJ. I know a few guys running them on HP D44's and even D60's.

http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=133
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
What size tires are you planning on running? The 35's or jumping to 37's? I plan on running a simmilar combo for my TJ, or a 9" in the rear if I can get a deal on a big bearing version. The front axle shouldn't be much of an issue as far as setting it up, check out TNT Customs (Go Treks now). They have a front axle truss that can be welded on with all stock brackets for TJ/XJ/MJ. I know a few guys running them on HP D44's and even D60's.

http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=133
The plan is at least 37's...maybe 38's. Was originally going to run 42's...but when I couldn't find a front kingpin 60 and had to settle for the 44...the 42's seemed a bit large even for a built HD44.

I'm not too woried about setting up the front as far as the suspension goes. The front will more than likely just get treated to a 4 link triangulated as much as I can with that oil pan where it is, with a pair of coilovers. Still thinking on that one whether coilovers will be in the budget...or if I'll just throw coils and shocks back on. I'd like to do the coilovers so I could move the front axle forward about another 1"-2".

The front issues that I am more worried about is the brakes and outer knuckle/stub shafts. The Ford HD brakes on this thing are HUGE. The calipers are about as long as my forearm. I'd have to run a minimum of a 17" wheel just to barely clear them with the backspace I have in mind. A 16" would fit if I lessened the backspace...but I don't want the tires sticking out way too far either. A 17x9 wheel is what I am shooting for as it is...so wrose case is that I just replace the brakes with OEM parts keeping the Ford componants.

What I'd like to do is swap the outer knuckles and stubs for parts from a GM 44 so I can have the same brakes in the front as I have in the rear....not to mention, they are smaller. Using the GM brakes means I'd have to use the GM outers too. Just haven't figured it all out yet.

The plan for the rear is to relocate the spring hangers farther forward on the chassis and use a long shackle to mount up a set of 9 leaf Deaver 62" F55 packs. This would help add about another 1" to 2" of WB in the rear. Overall with the new front & rear axle positions...I'd hope to be closer to 105"-106" WB.

This makes me more motivated to get my ass out there and tear down the front axle.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #27
RCC Addict

We have an 04 TJ, I6, manual, and its got 33's right now with 4:88's. We plan to go to 35's eventually, so the rpms are a little high for now. At 60-65 on the freeway its about 2500 to 3000 rpm.. a little high, but works fine. If i was staying with 33's, i probably won't go with the 4:88's.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote