Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1:1 Tire. IROK or MT MTZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1:1 Tire. IROK or MT MTZ

Time for new tires for the Jeep. This rig is a trailer queen, purpose built crawler that see's places like Rubicon and Moab. Anyone out there have these tires? Which ones are better for the hard core rocks?

Thanks,
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I say IROK's. I run 42's on my crawler. I love them. For the rocks there great. I mean Stickies are gonna out go them but the IROK is a great rock/ all around tire. Although here in the South east the TSL def out performs the IROK in the dirt. But if your running small tires I say go with the MT's because you never see little IROK's and maybe there's a reason for that?

Last edited by country_crawler; 04-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
I say IROK's. I run 42's on my crawler. I love them. For the rocks there great. I mean Stickies are gonna out go them but the IROK is a great rock/ all around tire. Although here in the South east the TSL def out performs the IROK in the dirt. But if your running small tires I say go with the MT's because you never see little IROK's and maybe there's a reason for that?
I'm running 35x12.50's at the moment. Looking at the 36x13.50's. So there not small, but there not 42". I would love to go to 40's or larger, but I've built the rig around 35" tires. Don't want to re-gear again and I'm only running dana 44's so can't handle a 40" tire.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
RcBros Hobbies

Been running the 37" Iroks on mine and can't be happier
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am running 36" IROKs and love them! A friend and I ran Indy, Patriot and Liberty...he is running the 38" MTZs, I am running 36" IROKs. There was a small difference and advantage to the IROKs, especially considering mine were about half gone and his were just about new and mine were smaller. My uncle runs the 35" MTZs on his FSB and loves them....they are MUCH better on the street and they seem to have been able to get his FSB pig through some hard stuff decently. He ran chinamans in his 96 FSB on the MTZs with open diffs, stock height, no armor and no lockers. It was a little struggle but I was pretty impressed with the tires there!

Of all the tires I have run and seen run I will take the IROKs.

If your rig was built around a 35" beware, the 36" IROK is actually bigger than the 37" IROK and is about as big as a 38" TSL. Mine measure out to about 37.2" tall on the ground fully inflated.

Last edited by 73bronco; 04-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I roks or bias ply Pit bull rockers

rockers are super freekin sticky, and better in mud than the I roks IMO.

only reason im suggesting the rockers is because its a trailer queen, and are marginaly better if they dont see any street when compared to Iroks
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
I roks or bias ply Pit bull rockers

rockers are super freekin sticky, and better in mud than the I roks IMO.

only reason im suggesting the rockers is because its a trailer queen, and are marginaly better if they dont see any street when compared to Iroks
my thoughts exactly

the MTZ is for daily drivers who occasionally get off road (i run 35x12.5 on my pickup)

the pitbull rocker wears horribly when on daily drivers (my buddy had a set of 37's on his 2500HD and didnt even get 10k miles out of them)

so i agree with drew get the rockers if its a trailer queen

but my one question is....if its a trailer queen why are you only running 35's??
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS View Post
my thoughts exactly

the MTZ is for daily drivers who occasionally get off road (i run 35x12.5 on my pickup)

the pitbull rocker wears horribly when on daily drivers (my buddy had a set of 37's on his 2500HD and didnt even get 10k miles out of them)

so i agree with drew get the rockers if its a trailer queen

but my one question is....if its a trailer queen why are you only running 35's??

Thanks for all the input guys. I've ran several sets of BFG's and I just ruined one of my Pro Comps this past weekend while running a trail called Carnage in Southwest Idaho. So, time for some new meats.

To answer your question about 35" tires. I have built Dana 44's with all chromally stuff, Detroit Lockers, 4:56 gears, dana 300 twin stick, and a Klune V 4:1 under drive. I believe if you want to run larger tires you need dana 60's. Plus the rig just works really well. I never break, been all over some of the hardest trails and I don't want to completely rebuild the rig. If I were to put 40's or 42's on I would re-gear it. Right now I'm running 180:1 and it's sweet.

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

with a 180:1 crawl ratio you should be able to run 37's with no problem. As for iroks they are great tires. I have been to moab twice and have no complaints. My jeep has a v8 automatic with unimog portals and 42 inch iroks. At this last ejs i had a great time at area bfe. It also sounds like you are a smooth driving style. Just don't do the moab bump that hard and you should be fine. I have also found that iroks are one of the best snow tires you can buy.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i run 36 iroks on this beast but i have noticed there are very good on rock and takes less power to go up very muddy hills and i was the only one to make up the hill out of 6 trucks and all were custom built trucks

Last edited by crawlmaster18; 05-01-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: I AM A DUMBA$$
crawlmaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Maxxis Creepy Crawler

Anyone run the Maxxis Creepy Crawler's ? Just another option I found. Wondering how these tires compare. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I've ran several sets of BFG's and I just ruined one of my Pro Comps this past weekend while running a trail called Carnage in Southwest Idaho. So, time for some new meats.

To answer your question about 35" tires. I have built Dana 44's with all chromally stuff, Detroit Lockers, 4:56 gears, dana 300 twin stick, and a Klune V 4:1 under drive. I believe if you want to run larger tires you need dana 60's. Plus the rig just works really well. I never break, been all over some of the hardest trails and I don't want to completely rebuild the rig. If I were to put 40's or 42's on I would re-gear it. Right now I'm running 180:1 and it's sweet.

Thanks again.
Since your running chromoly's I would step up to a 38'' or 39.5". I ran a chromoly 44 front with 42's and a about 400HP. It held up for 2 years and only broke it twice and that was because we rock bounced with it. So I would say your golden with 38's or 39.5's
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Just curious, how did you come to choose those two tires?

Lots of good tires out there, and all have their fans. Me personally, I wouldn't choose the Mickey's, just because they are a street oriented tire. However, a buddy has some on his rig, and they do just fine off road and in the rocks.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Just curious, how did you come to choose those two tires?

Lots of good tires out there, and all have their fans. Me personally, I wouldn't choose the Mickey's, just because they are a street oriented tire. However, a buddy has some on his rig, and they do just fine off road and in the rocks.
Just from talking to some of the guys in club. I'm open to other options, if you have any. I'm just looking for the best rock crawler tire, bias ply, strong side wall. I've ruined my Pro comp's side wall and my BFG M/T sidewalls in the rocks.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I vote bias Irok's for the win. I'm running 39.5s on my Toyota and love them.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I run 41" IROKS love them GET THEM!!
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
I vote bias Irok's for the win. I'm running 39.5s on my Toyota and love them.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
I run 41" IROKS love them GET THEM!!
Cool, thanks. I'm leaning towards the IROKS...
Old 05-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Just from talking to some of the guys in club. I'm open to other options, if you have any. I'm just looking for the best rock crawler tire, bias ply, strong side wall. I've ruined my Pro comp's side wall and my BFG M/T sidewalls in the rocks.

If you are looking for tough sidewalls, then regular TSL's or SX's are a good choice.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

MT/R Kevlars...

I just ran with a bunch of guys this weekend... 33-35' MTR's went places a guy on 36" Irok's couldn't The guy was built with a D44 front with ARB and a 9" rear with a spool... The new MT/R Kevlars are insane and what I plan on getting when I get to 35's.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks everyone for the input on tires.

I just ordered five 36x13.50r15's bias ply $1750 mounted, out the door. Pretty good deal considering my main guy in Moab couldn't even get a hold of a set. Getting large tires right now is difficult. Rig should be all ready for my Moab trip in June.