Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The return of the TSF soft top YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default The return of the TSF soft top YJ

Some time ago the TSF Soft Top YJ was being parted out in the sale forum. At the time, I couldnt afford to pick it up and I was pretty bummed. I have had a soft top kit and a new YJ body to do my own for probably a year now but with changing careers and a regimented academy I had little time for RCs. But now I am back in full speed, building when ever I have time to and I lucked out quite a few weeks back when my friend Bob (eddievedder) put the TSF YJ body up for sale. Bob and I worked out a deal and I headed home with it. The next thing I needed to do was locate an OutBack chassis for it as the body was built around it and the RC4WD R2 trans. I searched for quite some time, lost an auction for one on ebay but then lucked out an found one here on RCC for sale. I tried to convince the seller to sell me just the chassis but he needed thew whole thing gone. So, I did what I had to do and bought the entire rig. I sold off the body to recoop some of my money and went through the rest of the rig.

I took the axles apart, and greased them with some white lithium grease like I use in all my axles. I ditched the very bent and misshaped High lift springs and put the rear spring perches back in their proper location. I installed some fresh RC4WD red leafs and hit them with some flat black. I then installed some some RC4WD scale shocks. Next, I had to put a new rear drive shaft in because the blue ano one that was in there was too long after correcting the WB.

After that, I installed some electronics, a Hitec 645 servo for the steering, a 45 turn integy lathe motor and a tekin FXR ESC.

As for the body, it needed some work. 1st thing I did was pull off the stock clear wrangler lenses for some OG ones that I have had for some years. I then pulled out the seats and the dash. The dash seemed like it was rushed so I am currently re-doing it.

enough tech bable, on to some pics, more to follow

The flex is pretty awesome

I added a regular high lift leaf to the RC4WD red leaf (they are very soft) and they hold the weight of the truck very well while still allowing it to flex like mad
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Looks great. It's going to be a sweet wheeler!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #3

wow that soft-top is beautful, thats gonna be one hell of a scaler
DannyDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Got the dash board finished up. I took the axial shifter that was on the floor and cut it down and made it a column shift. I sleeved the axial steering to give it some more size. I uses gauges from RPP and decals from bowtie. where the original shifter was I put a twin stick 4wd shifter.

seats back in

also installed the rear bumper and swing out tire carrier

Tossed on a snorkel from RC4WD too

This rig is basically done only other thing to do is add some side armor to the body to hide the seam on each side.

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Mike, I'll never get used to squard headlights on a Jeep, but all the work you've done makes me forget about them.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looks great Mike, I'll never get used to squard headlights on a Jeep, but all the work you've done makes me forget about them.

Funny you say that Dez, I have been wanting to cut the grill out/off and build a CJ grill on of the Tamiya YJs since the tubs were almost basically the same (tail gate I think is the only real noticeable difference). One day when I finally get to build the soft top body I have, I think I might give it a try...I was to worried I would mess this one up if I tried to pull it off now.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Funny you say that Dez, I have been wanting to cut the grill out/off and build a CJ grill on of the Tamiya YJs since the tubs were almost basically the same (tail gate I think is the only real noticeable difference). One day when I finally get to build the soft top body I have, I think I might give it a try...I was to worried I would mess this one up if I tried to pull it off now.
I have a YJ that I'm going to build (after my Mog and my XR311) and I think I'm going to cut those ugly minivan headlights out of the grill!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I like the dash. What did you use for the OH DARN Handel???
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
This rig is basically done only other thing to do is add some side armor to the body to hide the seam on each side.

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Mike, check out Plastruct styrene products, they make diamond plate in different scales, I used it on the willys to make the corner wraps.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

That looks amazing. The dash turned out great
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I like the dash. What did you use for the OH DARN Handel???
The o shit handle comes in the kit with the gauges from rpphobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Mike, check out Plastruct styrene products, they make diamond plate in different scales, I used it on the willys to make the corner wraps.
I just so happen to have said diamond plate, it's just a matter of finding time to do it
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
www.team3sixrc.com

Dude, I love it. fantastic so far indeed.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I like it. But somethings just off about it, I think there is to big of a gap for the front tire and fender.
scale-bronco is offline   Reply With Quote