Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Scale Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD Scale Shocks

Good evening!
With another package from RC4WD my ordered 100mm white scale shocks and a few other parts arrived (will start my scale thread in a few days;)).

While testing the shocks I noticed that they are not very smooth, more rough-running. I loosened the lower cap with the o-ring in it, now they are a bit easier to move. Nevertheless the shocks stick in the The shock oil seems to be some kind of mechanical oil, so I filled it out, again a bit smoother (only tested this with one shock).
Are there any tips for making the shocks smoother?

Furthermore I recognized that the springs may be too hard... which softer springs can I use? I read about the Losi Moni-T springs, do they fit and work? (stock springs are conical)

Thanks a lot!
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The shock springs from a Hi-Lift will go right in, and they're much softer. A Mini-T spring is too big around to fit inside.

The more you work the shocks, the smoother they get. You can also try some Team Associated Green Slime to lube the o-rings.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've encountered the same problem with two different sets. I know this thread is a few months old but being that this is still a problem, has anyone else encountered this and if so, any recommendations on making them smoother? Other then the one that has already been posted cause I've already been doing that. I'm really frustrated at the moment with these shocks considering the money I paid and I've gotten to a roller status on two different scale builds to be just disappointed in the shock movement. Help ? ? ! !
RockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
I've encountered the same problem with two different sets. I know this thread is a few months old but being that this is still a problem, has anyone else encountered this and if so, any recommendations on making them smoother? Other then the one that has already been posted cause I've already been doing that. I'm really frustrated at the moment with these shocks considering the money I paid and I've gotten to a roller status on two different scale builds to be just disappointed in the shock movement. Help ? ? ! !
Yes there is, I had a post up about it some time back. I also have pictures of it, Ill see if I can find the thread.

Basically, there are 2 o rings in the shock, one is larger then the other and the larger one causes the shock to stick. What I did was is removed the larger O ring and put the shock back together. Itll be 100x smoother BUT they will no longer hold oil. I just put a drop or 2 of oil in the lubricate the existing O ring.

That was the best solution I came up, some others have seeked out different O rings and had success as well.

-Mike

**edit** RC4WD also stated you can email them for an RA # and send the shocks in for a replacement set of ones which will be smoother.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info FuFU I'll consider those options and make a decision on what to do.
RockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

I had the same problem, I took the springs out.
jaygvert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I cleaned out the friction grease and put some light weight shock oil in,not too much tho,just enough for it to feel smooth.You can always fill them and remove some until you`re happy.Im using leaf springs so done away with the internal springs.
Undo the bottom cap,take the o rings out and put vaseline between them when you rebuild it.Works smooth now.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote