Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old Skool SR5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Old Skool SR5

Well I jumped on the Yota wagon too and got me Hilux for Christmas. I looked at a ton of pics and finally decided on this scheme. This is/was my first hardbody paint job and overall I'm ok with it. Its all rattle can. I found out after painting what I did wrong so next time it should go a little better. So after I pound on this thing for a while I'll give it another try. Right now I'm just waiting for the paint to cure before spraying some clear coats on it.
Enough of my yapping, on to the pics!

Oh yeah, I broke the good camera, wife broke the spare camera, so yous are stuck with these crappy phone pics for the entire duration of this thread!!
Tom

So first off is my inspiration although I don't plan on doing a snugtop, unless Stu wants to hook me up :thinking:

The stripes were'nt too hard and after painting them, I figured out what I did wrong so next time I should be a little better.

Here's some of the body work, just filling in some holes. I did a test shot with some white and I think I over sanded the filler so I gotta retouch that before moving on.

You can see from this shot that the bodywork came out almost perfect. you
can still see just a little bit of the outline on the hood but the bottom holes are
pretty much gone. To get the door lines I just used a piece of sand paper folded
in half and went back and forth till it looked right.

Finally found a use for those old Clod tires nobody seemed to want and an old tire foam.

Last edited by metomwhou; 04-02-2008 at 05:46 PM.
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

love the paint scheme, great choice!
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

wow, great detail work on the paint. I will be watching for sure.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Looks like my dad's old 82 with that camper shell. Except my dad's was grey and not as lifted, but reminds me of it anyway.

Great work on the paint so far, this one will be cool.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Really classic on the paint love it.
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Very nice.
Jester666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! The phone pics really help make it look better than it is, but I figured for my first time and the fact that its gonna get beat up anyway that I could live with some of the imperfections.

Anybody got pics of the Trail Docs under a Yota body? I'm trying to decide between them and the Stompers.
Tom
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I love the paint job! like what my 83 had before i painted it!
CrazyYOTA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Diggin' the paint

Trail Docs are the same size as the stock tires. They look great on a 1/10 scale rig, but they're pretty small for this one. You might want to wait for the Trail Doctor XL's, same size as the Stompers. Or roll some Stompers under it if you just can't wait.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I really love the new Rock Crusher X/T's they have a nice look to them.
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yep, I like the look of the Rock Crusher's too. I think I might order a set just to be different. Its harder than that I thought, there's soooo much cool stuff, i just can't decide!!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Nice lookin' paint job..

I think I'm gonna have to get one just to replicate this:

DieselPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Finally gotta chance to take some decent pics with a real camera. Now you guys can see how shitty the paint really is!! The white is chipping and flaking like crazy so I'll be redoing it probably next winter, but for now I'll just beat on it.

Enjoy the pics!!

Whoaaaa, can you handle all this flex??!!

Anybody else have problems with the rear lenses being too big? I still need to try and file these down, they catch on everything.

Got her to take her shirt off for you guys!!

What do you think of this little link here? There's no binding during suspension cycling but do you think it will be effective given where I'm attached to the axle?

Front steering geometry. Basically using the stock pieces, just changed to better quality ball ends. I'm also getting alot of rubbing on the steering arm/draglink knuckle mount. Guess I need some rims with less offset.

]

Mad steering yo!!! Umm I mean, I shaved the axle C's on the back side and now get much more steering than stock!

Body drop or rather only a 6mm body lift as compared to the stock height. These were cut from some extra bits I had left over from sleeving some links, worked out pretty good.

My new FMA Cellpro 4S lipo/A123 charger, along with the Scorpion 2S lipo and Superbrain, thats a Sub C stick pack for size comparison. This thing is TINY!!

Lastly, pics of my new 3S 11.1v 1350mah lipo. Can't wait to try it out. The black pack is a is a 2S 3300mah lipo pack, again with a sub C pack for size reference.

Last edited by metomwhou; 03-20-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
RCC Addict

great job tom! thought about doing the chino leaf mod? i am thinking of doing that to my hilux also.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
Anybody else have problems with the rear lenses being too big? I still need to try and file these down, they catch on everything.

Thats how the lights always have been...even on the OGs
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino438 View Post
great job tom! thought about doing the chino leaf mod? i am thinking of doing that to my hilux also.
Yep, Chino mod is coming eventually!

Hey 1BJB,
Well atleast its not just me!! Have you guys had any problems with them getting ripped off?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #17
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
Yep, Chino mod is coming eventually!

Hey 1BJB,
Well atleast its not just me!! Have you guys had any problems with them getting ripped off?

I just file down the outer edge. Still rip them off though. When the bedside flexes in, it will expose the lense still. Because there is a slit between the bed side and tailgate panel (so they can remove it from the mold), I use some shoe goo to bridge the gap. That way the bed sides dont flex in as much if at all.

P.S. I like the stripes on it! Been wanting t paint them on my tan 'yota but been too lazy.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #18
RCC Addict

i'm surprised i haven't cracked my lenses on the hybrid yet. got dirt packed where the lenses are exposed. i am just leaving the dirt there as a buffer!! lol.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Holy crap, the two Chino's in one thread, must be some kind of record or something!!

My original paint was gonna be like my grandpa's old yeller toy, but when I started getting the paints together I couldn't really find the right shades of brown so I ended up going with the white. I also was gonna do a "replacement" hood but decided not to at the last minute and then kinda liked the plain white so I left the hood stripes off.

Have you seen the other tan toy, with the short stripes? That is a good looking rig. Which ones were you thinking of doing, those short ones or the long ones like mine?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Looks good, I like the graphics. Wheres the hood stripes though??
JeepCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote