Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: I finally got to build a Toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I finally got to build a Toy

I posted this late. This was about a week ago. (May 16)
Ive been wanting a Toyota body ever since '96 when a friend showed me what a Bruiser was. I couldnt afford a body until now.

I started with the frame, since i dont own a digi cam, i didnt take any pics of it in progress or anything, but its a ladder style made of 2 strips of 3/4in x 1/8thin aluminum. I drilled a hole at either end and bolted them together flat, and marked out a grid. Then i stuck it under the drill press and put down 2 rows of 1/8th in holes all the way down for adjustability. I got the idea from the MFM chassis.

Then i mounted up the High Lift leaves i had on the AX10 axles and measured how wide they were. Then made some delrin crossmembers from some "square" (not very square) stock i had. Stuck some tlt crossmembers on for the front body posts and mounted the axles under there. The front has an anti wrap bar on it, the rear will get one, but i havent made it yet. Since im running a mono leaf, i dont want them to turn into s's after the first run.

I still have alot to do, but the truck finally sits on its own and i can start on the other stuff. Im planning on making hefty steel bumpers and rock sliders. Also i need to find a grill. I havent decided on lights yet, and lockers are undecided. I think i want to keep the spool in the rear, but im debating a gear diff in the front with 500,000wt in it, to see if i could get some limited slip action. I mean, whens the last time you saw a street legal toyota with a welded or spooled front, they are a bitch to steer. I wish i could get an axial detroit. Open is an option too, but i dont know. Plus i need to make a steering box for crossover steering, and mount the trans, battery and spare tire. I hope to have it all together for the next scale comp.

Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Progress has been made. Its alive! And i finally got a digicam to borrow.

I happened across a NIP blackfoot grill at tammies and took it home for my blackfoot body. When i got to putting it together and looking at my grill-less toyota, i thought hey, i wonder if it will fit. It just so happened that the grill shared the mounting points with the Toy body perfectly and was almost the right size. I put some black foam tape around the corners for a little filler, and i think its looking pretty good. When the Hilux grills are available, il be picking one up so i can use this grill on a blackfoot based build.

I was also having problems in the rear severely bending the main leafs. So i bought some support leafs from the High Lift kit and cut them down so that it supported just the center bottom of the mail leaf, where it was bending. It made the rear a little stiff but it seems to be working really well.

Overall the truck is a blast to drive. Its not yet waterproof, but i have the Sillicone and balloons for it, when i decide its time to go swimming. Im really liking this truck and the way it drives. Its definitely my favorite one so far.

Also i built a bumper for it, out of some 3/4 x 1/8 brass strip, and some 5/16 solid brass rod. Very simple, but looks nice and clean. Then i painted it with Rustoleum flat black metal paint.

I forgot to take pics of it, but also i built a battery door so you can take the battery out from the underside of the bed in the back without removing the body. Since the body is screwed on. Yes i said the battery was in the back.. Probably not the best place for it, but since im running a 4800mah 2s pack, that weighs less than 4 or 5 sub Cs, its not bad. It gives the truck almost an even 50/50 weight dist. and thats without any weight in the front wheels.

And as for the color, i went with a burgandy / burnt dark red that i thought was a really cool color. I think it was called Mica Red. Being a noob at painting, i failed to realize that the Bright white body would lighten the color. So the dark red came out bright metallic candy apple red. Not cool! So i decided i wanted a darker color, so i bought some semi light metallic blue called Arctic blue, and this time i did my color layering right. It came out dark navy blue with a light metallic flake. I love the new color, i wanted burgandy but this i am digging. Its dark enough that in low light with no flake sparkle, it looks black. Its neat.
Anyways, onto the pics.

Frame is not yet cut off in the back, those big ugly aluminum rails will be gone soon.

Pretty scale leaf spring flex i think.

Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks good, I love the color

The blackfoot grill worked out pretty good on there
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

I need a truck with leafs, my next truck will have leaf springs.
cool truck
farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote