Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep JK Unlimited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Jeep JK Unlimited

I failed to post up a proper build thread during the actual build process but here are the specs and some of the early photos. This is definitely one of my favorite rigs so far.

I started out with the ToysRUs Jeep JK Unlmited RC and took the body off it. I then had Stang Killa over at TSS make me a custom chassis for the body. I did not like the white/tan interior so I painted it black with a couple small details for A/C, speakers, etc. I quickly discovered that the Recaro cell phone seats fit perfectly in it so I had to use them.
After getting the chassis and the interior done, it was time to assemble. I of course went with an RC4WD R2 tranny which was the best fit to keep the interior in tact. TLT axles went under it with DTX Evader shocks up front and touring car shocks in the rear. Four linked it and put some Erickson delrin beadlocks with some cut down Rock Claws for tread.
Electronics were then installed and I used a CC Sidewinder/BEC with an Axiom 35T motor. It currently only has a 6 cell pack pushing it but I will soon upgrade to more (lipo?). A DX3 TX/RX is used to control this Beast.

One of my favorite mods is the Winch. I took a MSD/Juggster winch and modded it so that the line actually turns on the spool, like a real winch. It works awesome, it'll pick up the entire Jeep off the floor to the ceiling (I really tested that). I mounted the winch servo on the rear servo mount and ran 100lb spider wire through brakeline to the back of the MSD winch. It then wraps around the functional spool and I am using a twin flat hook from worthmarine for the 'hook', it works great!

So far I am very pleased with the performance. I took some video on it's first outing during a VARCOR GTG and made a couple vids.

Pics and Vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATDer9cjE0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxwAhZH7bw

Comments welcome.
Attached Images

'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

OK it's official after I build up a WK, I'm building a scaler! NIce work!
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

glad your lovin the TSS chassis. looks great!
post up some completed pics, and some naked shots.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-25-2008 at 12:17 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I've got the same body here and was thinking about that chassis as well, can you show some pics of the tranny mounted so we can see what the clearance between the interior is?
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sorry for the delay on getting these pics up. Long story short, I now have a new camera. Picked me a Canon S5 IS. So here are a bunch of pics to show the frame and how it all looks mounted. You can see how the winch line is run through the brakeline. All of the electronics are mounted at the front of the Jeep under the hood. The 6 cell battery fits snug just behind the trannsmission. I tried to show the 'hidden' body mounts in the last couple pics. Used a servo horn on the front to rotate inside a slot cut out on the inside of the body and a screw to hold it. On the back I just used a cut TLT suspension stay that rotates to hold the rear of the body on, another screw to keep it extra secure. They turned out good and this prevents putting any holes in the body.

I tore two of the cut and shut Losi Rock Claws on the knuckles and temporary rear lockout. I've got some MSD rear lock outs that need to be installed next. Those will help give a little extra rear clearance and should help prevent the tire ripping again in the back. I'm thinking of mounting some SDI Trail Dr. XL's to compare to the Claws as well.

I plan to take some video of the functional winch to demonstrate how well it works if anyone is interested in seeing that, let me .

On to the pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

looks good thanks for the extra pics
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nice JK!!! I say throw some XL's under it or Crushers!!!!
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
Nice JK!!! I say throw some XL's under it or Crushers!!!!
I have some XL's waiting to be mounted but these Rock Claws perform so good that I haven't talked myself into changing them yet. They stick so well and pull this Jeep through a lot of stuff I didn't think it could. This setup is still performing awesome and keeps surprising me making me say "Whoa, I just made it throught that!"

Went on vacation last week to the mountains of NC. Managed to talk the gf into letting me take the JK. Ended up taking it to Chimney Rock and snapped a couple of these pics and a vid. Need to create the video but here are some pics.

Attached Images

Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

nice rig. very clever body mounting.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i went to Chimney Rock not to long ago and it is a awesome view..anyways i love that rig man! im a jeeper kinda guy
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

hay think i can get the wheel base of that body i just order one tonight any help would be nice
freelife04239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife04239 View Post
hay think i can get the wheel base of that body i just order one tonight any help would be nice
The wheelbase is just a few mm short of 11 inches. You will like the body, it's detailed nicely. Mine has been put through a ton of abuse, has some cracks, splits and a million scratches, but it still goes.