Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My first scaler build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My first scaler build...

I am currently procuring all the guts needed for my scale build. I have a pretty clear idea of what I want and I decided to share these ideas with all of you! I have a Chevrolet Silverado EXT cab on the way. It is the Intimidator SS toy truck so many have seen on this very forum. I don't have a chassis yet but I am working on selling some stuff to get one and other stuff. The rear will be an Axial axle with Tamyia leafs and RC18T shocks. The front was going to be the same but I figured a real Silverado has independent front sus. I turned to my nitro RS4 on-road car and though I could make it's front sus. work on my truck. So far it looks like I can make it work but until I get the chassis I won't know for sure. Here are some pics.
Stock RS4 front suspension:

I modified one side to get more down travel:

As you can see I get a good bit more down travel and this will allow the diff to be tucked under the chassis. I am so excited about this build I wish I had more info for you but this is it for now. Stay tuned!

Last edited by chops1sc; 07-15-2008 at 09:11 AM.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well, I got both sides trimmed so they have way more travel than before. Now I have to find a way to change the input shaft from a dogbone socket to one that will accept a yoke. I think I will try the pinion from an Axial diff, they are surprisingly alike. One thing that was unexpected and maybe a little lucky was the gear ratio in the RS4 diff is exactly the same as the Axial axle

Last edited by chops1sc; 07-15-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #4

are you going to leave it belt drive or how are you going to change that?
CS_BENOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

My RS4 is a shaft-driven nitro. No belts. I think I am going to get the Axial pinion and shaft to use in place of the dogbone system. If the two pinions are different I will have to come up with something but I am fairly certain they are the same. My next concern with this setup is steering. The RS4 uses a dual bell-crank system. I will have to make something that will act independently of each side. Might be the hardest thing to work out.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #6

really like the idea.... fresh n' new... keep' em coming
ekkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well, I have all the major components on order and on the way. Here is what my build will consist of:

Chevy Silverado SS (yes another one, lol)
Trail Beater chassis (bought from run2jeepn)
Axial Transmission (tranny and motor from danielk)
Special motor (don't know much about it yet )
Axial rear axle from the RTR
RS4 front end diff/control arms (IFS)
Tamyia leafs for rear axle
60mm scale shocks front and rear (also from run2jeepn)
1.9 Mud Slingers with alloy wheels (from xjwalt666)
Tamyia Pajero wheels (also HPI stockers)
Stampede shafts with Axial yokes
Traxxas XL-5 (waterproof version)
MG 946R servo (from run2jeepn)
Spektrum SR3100

That about does it so far! I know I'm gonna need a lot more when I start the build. I will get pics of the parts spread as soon as I get everything in!

Last edited by chops1sc; 07-17-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I totally respect the IFS front, but as in a real 1:1 that is very limiting to articulation. Aside from the parts available is this the route that you want to go? Obviously that is the case. I would almost invest in another AX axle and do straight. But, it is your build and I would never knock what you are doing as I think it is pretty cool. Just seems like a waste to do all of that modifying and money to not have a good flex setup.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
I totally respect the IFS front, but as in a real 1:1 that is very limiting to articulation. Aside from the parts available is this the route that you want to go? Obviously that is the case. I would almost invest in another AX axle and do straight. But, it is your build and I would never knock what you are doing as I think it is pretty cool. Just seems like a waste to do all of that modifying and money to not have a good flex setup.
I understand your concerns. I will probably get another axle for that same reason but I didn't spend any extra money since I already had the RS4 parts. And I am doing the IFS for 2 main reasons; to be different and it's more realistic to the actual truck. I have a Z71 and I want to make it look as close to mine as possible. This will be more of a trail truck than a crawling scaler. I want to take it mudding and stuff like that. It's definitely going to be a fun build and an even more fun truck to drive! I welcome any constructive criticism and advice along the way!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

looking good man ideas are always a good place to start ;D cant wait to see how that ifs gets put into the trail beater chassis.

keep it up.
- tre
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
I understand your concerns. I will probably get another axle for that same reason but I didn't spend any extra money since I already had the RS4 parts. And I am doing the IFS for 2 main reasons; to be different and it's more realistic to the actual truck. I have a Z71 and I want to make it look as close to mine as possible. This will be more of a trail truck than a crawling scaler. I want to take it mudding and stuff like that. It's definitely going to be a fun build and an even more fun truck to drive! I welcome any constructive criticism and advice along the way!
NUff said - lol

I say build it then damnit!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default Update

Got some gear in today! Here are some update pics....
Tranny, motor, shafts, rear axle, Mudslingers, mocked up at 12" WB.

The IFS...

The rear axle (from an RTR)...

Can't wait for more parts!!

Last edited by chops1sc; 07-15-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey chops sounds like its going to be a great build. Glad to see the wheels and tires finally being used for something. Definitely going to keep an eye on this one, should be good
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Default Update; lots of pics (warning to 56K users!)

PROGRESS!!!! I got all my parts in the other day and I got started building.

Working on the steering today. More pics to come!! Comments welcomed!!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Looks very good.
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

wow nice job
2fknqwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Yup, looks like a real 1:1 Chevy with a dropped cross member, lol. J/K - looking good there!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I got the steering figured out. I just cut 2 links from my AX-10 parts bin and connected the steering knuckles to the servo horn. The servo is mounted to my vertical supports. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Now I gotta get the electrics in place. I am using a Spektrum SR3100 and a Traxxas XL-5 from the Slash (waterproof FTW).
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #19

Wow! This thing is sweet.
I can't wait to see it done and how the suspension works.
Mr Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crabs View Post
Wow! This thing is sweet.
I can't wait to see it done and how the suspension works.
You and me both! I am waiting on my ESC to come in but that all that's keeping me from driving it. I need to find out the best way to mount the rear leaf springs. My temporary mounts are plastic and not very stable. I am going to use bicycle chain links but I don't know the correct way they need to be mounted and orientated (does that make sense?). I've been adding some weight to the interior and will be adding weight to the chassis to help the suspension work instead of just being there for looks. The rear springs have me worried that they are too stiff but I have to remember this is a scale truck not a crawler. Untill next time.....