Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: K2-5 F-250 Scaler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default NEW K2-5 F-250 Scaler Build

I found a complete High Lift body that had a bad paint job on it. It looked like it could be revived fairly easily, so I bought it. I felt it was worth a try.

I plan to build it up as a clone of my Father-In-Laws 1:1 F-250. This will be my first scale build, so bear with me...

I liked the look of Brett's new K2-5 chassis, so I picked one up. It fits this body like a glove! Nice job, Brett.

I'm not completely decided on the specs for the build, but I know I will be using parts I have, as well as, a few new ones.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Chassis - K2-5
Axles - TLT
Motor - Holmes Revolver Black
Controller - Quark 33 Pro Car
Servo - TowerPro
Trans - Axial
Wheels - High Lift
Tires - Rock Crushers

I'll be posting pics along the way. I'm open to comments and suggestions.

I should note that this won't be a complete scale build. I'm planning on making it 4-link front and rear. Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to use the K2-5 shock mounts or the High Lift shock towers. Details to be decided later, I guess...

Last edited by onlyinajeepxj; 09-09-2008 at 07:29 PM.
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of the K2-5 chassis after a few coats of flat black paint. It's a nice looking chassis if I do say so myself.

Here is a picture of the body when I brought it home. The paint wasn't to bad, but I wasn't sure what kind of paint it was. I thought I would play it safe and strip it down with oven cleaner.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good so far.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The oven cleaner worked very well. It took four treatments over the course of two days to completely remove the paint. I used generic Family Dollar oven cleaner at a buck a can.

My inspiration truck is white with metallic charcoal along the bottom. It also has logos on the doors, but those will come later.

First, I primed the body. I followed that with a little bit of wet sanding in preparation for the final coats. I used Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamal straight from the ol' rattle can. I think the finish turned out pretty good.

I did a little bit of detail painting with some thinned out flat black paint. I'm relatively happy with the results.

I couldn't find paint for the light lenses locally, so I used a red and orange Sharpie marker.

The holes in the body will be covered up by "scale details" a little bit later on in the build.

Here are some pics of the progress.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man!!! What is the length of your skid (not width)???
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
Looks good man!!! What is the length of your skid (not width)???
2 3/16"

It was designed for an Axial transmission.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

body work looks great whats your plan for mounting the body to the K2-5?
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Not quite sure yet. I'll probably use the stock High Lift front mount. It seems to line up just right. For the rear I'll probably use velcro.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I managed to get a little bit done tonight.

I mounted the Axial trans with an outrunner plate for the Holmes Revolver Black. Everything went smoothly.

I decided to use the K2-5 shock mounts instead of the High Lift shock towers. I want this thing to perform pretty well when it's all said and done. The suspension geometry is a little bit more aggressive with the K2-5 mounts. Ultimately, it will just work better.

I am going with a set of Tamiya touring car shocks that I already had. They fit perfectly. I have some yellow springs that I'll probably be using. I believe they are a little bit softer if I remember right.

Next, I cut some trays for the battery/radio/esc to be mounted on. I used some 1/8" PVC that I had laying around. I think it should work pretty well.

I also painted up the link mounts. I don't really care for the look of the silver with the black axles. They got a few coats of etching primer followed by some flat black paint.

Hopefully I'll get to the axles/4-link tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I got the TLT axles built up tonight. I beefed them up with the following:

Full bearings

RCP straight axle kit

RCP lockers

RCP super-max clearance knuckles

MIP CVDs

I still want to get some axle C's, but I'll probably wait until I break the stock units.

Now I'm just waiting on some parts to make it a roller. They should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by onlyinajeepxj; 07-10-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Progress is lookin good Im about to start the same type of build except with a hilux body, I already have the black K2-5, the body, TLT axles and shocks in the mail.

I was going to use the TLT shocks with the highlift shock mounts but I think you got a good thing going with the Tamiya touring car shocks, whats the length of those eye to eye and do you know a part number for like tower hobbies?

one more thing, where do you get your PVC? I think that looks great on there
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Progress is lookin good Im about to start the same type of build except with a hilux body, I already have the black K2-5, the body, TLT axles and shocks in the mail.

I was going to use the TLT shocks with the highlift shock mounts but I think you got a good thing going with the Tamiya touring car shocks, whats the length of those eye to eye and do you know a part number for like tower hobbies?

one more thing, where do you get your PVC? I think that looks great on there
I wanted to use a Hilux body for my build, as well. I found this one for $20.00, so I couldn't pass it up.

I'll get back to you on the shock length. I'm at work at the moment. I'm not sure what the part number is. I've had them for a while.

I'm not completely sure they'll work yet. I'll know after I do the 4-link and axle install tonight.

We use sheet PVC at work for certain things. I picked up a scrap and took it home with me.

Last edited by onlyinajeepxj; 07-11-2008 at 06:56 AM.