Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: servo/chassis issue-please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default servo/chassis issue-please help

I have an issue with the servo action...
YouTube - why is servo doing this to suspension?

why does it do that to the suspension. turning to the left (viewers right) it pulls the suspension down. turning right pushes it up.
WTF?

also note I tipped the servo so that the leading edge is lower than the back and also the servo horn is bent/angled a bit too...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
MWRCA'er

The steep angle of the steering link is doing it. The more level you can keep that link the better off you will be. Doesn't matter if the link is bent like that the motion is still transfered just the same.

If that isn't fixable a panhard link at the same angle would cancel it out. Of course at such a steep angle a panhard link may cause lots of unwanted suspension shifting.

Last edited by Mnster; 07-19-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

so the ideal solution is to bring the servo down so that the linkage is more level with the axle, right?
I can try that.

If I need to do a panhard I keep the same angle between the steering linkage ends and connect the panhard from axle to chassis, correct?

btw, thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

Correct

Similar angles would be best.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

does the panhard need to be the same length rod end to rod end or just the same angle?

thanks again!
and btw, that build Jim did was so inspired. its the reason I narrowed my tlt's too.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
MWRCA'er

It's better to have the same or close to the same length of rod.

It basicly allows the suspension to compress and the tires stay straight. Otherwise when the suspesion is compressed the tires will turn slightly. (bump steer) It's not a enormously huge issue for crawlers cause we go so slow.

Thanks

Last edited by Mnster; 07-19-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

is it going to prevent my suspension moving up/down like it is though? If not I may have to rethink the shock setup.:-(
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
MWRCA'er

The axle will swing with the panhard link. Doesn't limit the the up/down travel much at all if properly done. The suspesion should resist the side to side up down motion as now the frame has something to press against. Put it this way you will get much better transfer of firm servo power.

The stiffing the suspension and that the guys on scale 4x4 were talking about is mostly just a bandaid for the problem, although that would also help the up down.

Another idea is to increase your link triangulation as it would reduce the side to side steering slop motion. Like I said though panhard is your best bet.

Last edited by Mnster; 07-19-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

PT is you have done Delrin links you should have had to do similar to keep axle wrap in check. The force from the servo is taking the path of least resistance and that is to move the chassis. That and all the exellent comments from Mnstr.

I have built a "saddle" over the pumpkin using the top 2 holes on the TLT axle and used that as the tie-in point. You can use 2 of the TLT stays one on the chassis one on the saddle. I like to center mine up but it is not critical. I don;t have a great pic of it but if you look at the butt shot of the Brat you can see the saddle. Look to the left end of the chassis and you can see the post coming from the lower frame rail. This was for axle wrap but you get the idea

Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote