Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: KJ's K5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default KJ's K5

Well this is the new home for the second Blazer.
Just couldn't waist this tire and wheel combo on the older one, these belong on here.
I'm using a home made square tube frame and some 3/16 tube for the structure, the balance of the interiors roll cage will be 3/16 styrene tube to match. This should help keep the weight down and the body will provide most of the structure anyways.

Next step will be making some cuts between the box and the cab and deciding whether to run the roof or do the convertable (1979) idea. Whatever happens, cant wait to deal with get to the interior.

I'd really like to do a set of round headlights in it and go a bit older. The marker lights are pretty easy to trim out but would have to modify the body lines to get the 79 markings correct. I'll be grabbing lots of reference images to make sure I get things right. I like the 1979 idea of the full convertable and would help with the (way too low) roof line.

I've decided on a fully detailed engine compartment and may even try to encase the motor inside my scale Big Block project. With the motor being remote I can give this thing a try...

This will give me all of the interior clearance I need and will help towards the scale drive train look I'm going for. The second part of my order is the reason for the build thread being moved to this section...

Pre-ordered my new axles last month!

I'll try the 4 link and see how I like it, can always move towards the leafs later but allready have 2 trucks running them.
Grabbed these mounts too.

My Transfer Case came in yesterday, inspired me to work a bit. Seems like a very cool little unit, just attached it to my mock up frame untill the real ones get here.

It's about time there's a solution to keep the mechanical crap outa the cab!
I've got 3 steel Hilift drive shafts that fit perfect over the output shafts. I'll use them if they're not too long for the wheelbase.

Got to chopping the body a bit, cut out the back of the cab, removed and shortened the bed sides and cemented everything back together. My next step will be getting the rear end trued up by building the floors and wheel wells. Hopefully I can then continue into the cab and get the basic interior structure in place.

Was exited to see it shortened with the wheel and tire combo and then...
I saw it! They looked amazing when I was first planning and the truck was full length but now with a 10" wheelbase it's just not going to work. Great for wheelies but will handle like crap.
With the reduced 2.2s

Looks a bit more realistic like this. On the front my new FlatIrons (1.9s) and on the rear, 1.9 Rock Stompers. I'm leaning towards the FlatIrons.

More body work to come
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Awesome
RC_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've been asured my axles will be here this week, they're now the only thing holding me up. A few cool items showed up today for the project so I thought I'd toss em up.
The new RC4wd scale shocks 90mm & Vintage Hilux/Blazing Blazer driver.

Also grabbed a set of these from the shop the other day, they'll at least be good fo mock up if I find another set of something.

I'll be getting a start hopefully on the weekend and will post up my progress.
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

like the axles. looks like this is going to be a good build
guamcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looks like another great build.
wilrace is offline   Reply With Quote