Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: K2-5 Trail Teams FJ Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default K2-5 Trail Teams FJ Cruiser

I thought I'd go ahead and post up my build even though someone posted up a similar build not too long ago. If anything I've noticed with all the members on this forum it's kind of hard to do something that hasn't been done already. Anyway I'm going to try to be as accurate as I can to the real thing. I feel this will be my most ambitious scale project yet. I'm even going to attempt at brazing up my own rock rails and front and rear bumpers.
Hers's some specs:
Nikko FJ Body, White of course
k2-5 Chassis painted texture black
TLT axles, locked, alum knuckles, strait axles, and bearings
Suspension: RC4WD Scale Shocks painted blue and coil springs all around
Tranny: RC4WD R2
Motor: Brushless BM9
ESC: Mamba 25
Battery: 9 Cell 2/3A
Tires/Wheels: RC4WD Tomahawks on RC4WD Cyclones

Hers's some pics of the 1:1 and a pic of what I'm working with
Attached Images

Last edited by BGGruff; 10-26-2008 at 01:31 PM.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Your still ALIVE, I can't wait to see this finished.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

I am definitely watching this one since I own the Trail Teams 1.1 FJ and since I was planning on doing a build of mine this winter. You beat me to it. I was debating throwing it on an XC chassis to be more scale with the IFS or going K2-5. Ill just have to see how yours comes out. It will probably make me build it K2-5 style
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
Me and you both. I bet I have my FJ finished before this one. HAHA just kiddin Ronzo. Get this thing done so we can run the scalers and the comp rigs
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yea, I'm still around! Just busy with work and baby boy. Honestly this will probably take a while but I'm gonna put a lot of attention to it. My budget isn't what it used to be...not all of us have the resources to build 10 scalers and 5 Comp rigs at one time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
I am definitely watching this one since I own the Trail Teams 1.1 FJ and since I was planning on doing a build of mine this winter. You beat me to it. I was debating throwing it on an XC chassis to be more scale with the IFS or going K2-5. Ill just have to see how yours comes out. It will probably make me build it K2-5 style
Man I bet the 1:1 is very nice. If all goes well I'll own one by the end of the year too. I have a Pajero on the way but it'll be the only XC I have so the FJ gets the K2-5. I'm gonna try and mimic the suspension set up as much as possible. I've got the rearend figured out now only if I could make an IFS front out of a TLT axle! You definitley need to go ahead and build yours up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
Me and you both. I bet I have my FJ finished before this one. HAHA just kiddin Ronzo. Get this thing done so we can run the scalers and the comp rigs
I'm sure you will, but I swear to ya I'm gonna go as fast as I can. I've got the Tomahawks on the way with some disc brakes from RPP and I'll have the Cyclones in a couple of weeks. The body is almost ready to be primed and I'm working on the suspension for the rearend. I need another one of the Axle Trusses but RCP is out of them.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
x2.

Get it going.
bbyrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGruff View Post
Yea, I'm still around! Just busy with work and baby boy. Honestly this will probably take a while but I'm gonna put a lot of attention to it. My budget isn't what it used to be...not all of us have the resources to build 10 scalers and 5 Comp rigs at one time!
What can I say, the Acid business is good.

Just joking, I work in a Sulfuric Acid plant.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd22 View Post
x2.

Get it going.
What's up? Been a while. Yea, Yea I'm going as fast as I can...which isn't very fast!

Quote:
What can I say, the Acid business is good.

Just joking, I work in a Sulfuric Acid plant.
I know it is! Hey I need to PM you. I may have something you might want.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I am the person doing the other build. I have been making some progress, but ran into a few problems with the X trail chassis and the wheelbase length on it. I need to shorten the rear links or something. Cant wait to see how yours turns out!
aclark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This is going to be good

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Nice start! This has the makings of a killer build. I did a one in 18th scale your body has way more detail though.
jaymillz517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ronzo is alive! Subscribing
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark09 View Post
I am the person doing the other build. I have been making some progress, but ran into a few problems with the X trail chassis and the wheelbase length on it. I need to shorten the rear links or something. Cant wait to see how yours turns out!
Yup that is you! I've never owned an xtrail but I'm sure they're quite workable. I much more prefer the K2 chassis...I'm working on my 4th with this build. Whenever you get it dialed in post up some pics on your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
This is going to be good
Thanks K2! I'll be putting a lot of detail into this one so it's gonna be a slow build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillz517 View Post
Nice start! This has the makings of a killer build. I did a one in 18th scale your body has way more detail though.
Thanks jaymillz517! I'll have some updates over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
Ronzo is alive! Subscribing
What's up Stacy! Yea I'm still around for sure.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

sweet. this is gonna be good...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Well here's a dumb little update...not like any of ya'll haven't seen a sanded body before, then again maybe some of you haven't. I just got my computer cooperating again so I was able to pull these pics off of the camera. Damn I didn't realize how much work was in sanding one of these bodies. This is the 1st Hard Bodied scaler I've done so it's a little new to me.
The 1st 2 pics are of the body sanded partly and the rest are of an FJ on a local lot for sale. Now why in the hell is a Trail Teams FJ for sale down here in the south where all we have is mud...no rocks for hundreds of miles!
Any tips on what I can use to get rid of the paint in those tight spots, like some kind of solvent? I've gotta get some software so I can print out stickers of my own with the computer so I can make the logo for it!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why sand the paint off ? Just scuff it and shoot some primer on it. The Krylon plastic paints are the shizznit. you got PM
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why sand the paint off ? Just scuff it and shoot some primer on it. The Krylon plastic paints are the shizznit. you got PM
Well I've already gotten most of it sanded and I'm using regular Pactra and Tamiya paints. I do have primer but maybe I'll check out the Krylon paints.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Little update: Got it all sanded and primed and a couple of coats of Tamiya Racing White on it. Also, I got my RC4WD Tomahawks in today. These are very nice! The size is just right and the tread seems to be nice and aggresive, only time and many trail rides will tale. They're pretty soft as well. For now they're mounted to some Hummer Wheels until I get the Cyclones in.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Little update: I've got it mocked up somewhat. I think I've got it right where I want it...Ride heighth and body placemant are good and the wheelbase is right at 11-1/4" ish. A few more coats of white in those hard to get places and then the black trim.
Man this K2-5 chassis is a great looking chassis and it looks even better with the Rustoleum Black Texture paint I put on it.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Oh man I've never used the textured paint, that look a ton better than just flat black.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote