Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My 1.9 scaler, Trail Finder/Chevy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My 1.9 scaler, Trail Finder/Chevy

This is my first scaler build, thought I would share it with ya...

The body: vintage clod body with filled hood & fenders and corrected rear window, all screww holes have been filled as well

The chassis: RC4WD Tralil Finder, "Black", sortened wheelbase by .400 to match body. This was done by simply moving the solid spring perches inward .200 each

Last edited by nitronut; 03-04-2009 at 06:08 PM.
nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Got some more work done today on this project.
Finished the rear bumper and made the front bumper and rock sliders. The front bumper will have a Scale Offroad Non-Working winch and a roller fairlead. The rear bumper is made of 20g&16g sheet metal and the front bumper and sliders are made from 1/8 rod stock, 20g & 16g sheet metal. All metal parts are brazed.
The last picture is of some of the scale items I will be using on this truck, some of the items have been bought an some were home made. Shackles, fairlead,high-lift jack from Scale Offroad. The chains and hooks are from Garden Trucking. The yellow tow straps are made from 1/4inch yellow ribbon and sewn at either end, The ropes are made from hemp cord. Made the bungee cords using one of the threads here on RCC.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Looks really good. Are you planning on using the yellow ribbon to wrap it up and give me the truck for a belated birthday gift? If so thanks in advance!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice build. What are your plans for paint?
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

ohhhh the rear window, one thing i have repeatedly neglected! i always foreget to do it each rebuild. the truck looks great, any plans for a dropped bed?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
Nice build. What are your plans for paint?
To be honest, I dont realy know yet. This is going to be a show and go rig so it will have a killer pain job. Thinking along the line of candy blue with gosted in trible flames all over a silver base.

Auto-Air colors and House of color UC-35 clear
Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
ohhhh the rear window, one thing i have repeatedly neglected! i always foreget to do it each rebuild. the truck looks great, any plans for a dropped bed?
Thanks obijuan! I have been fallowing your builds from way back....

I wanted to do a drop bed but with the trail finder chassis, its kinda hard to do it right. The shock towers are in the wrong position. If I did do it, the fenderwells would make it look like its tubbed
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #8

oh yeah i see what you mean.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I kinda have an idea about how to combat the raised bed. Here is my plan....

First, paint the inside if the bed flat black so it doesnt show depth that well.
Second, cut down everything that will be in the bed so it looks like its normal height.

Think it will work?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #10

never seen it done sucessfully, but prove me wrong! lol if it were me i would lop those rear shock mounts off and inboard the rear shocks instead. then youve got plenty of room and you can maybe use the bed floor as your body mount. however you can figger it and make it your own the better.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice build. are those t-rex 60's? I am currently searching for a pair of the alum for scale build. scale offroad is a good place to buy stuff i see. thanks for the info. very helpful. what are shackles made of? thanks.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Awesome websites, garden and scale offroad......

Can you recommend any other places/websites that are similar??????

thanks!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
Nice build. are those t-rex 60's? I am currently searching for a pair of the alum for scale build. scale offroad is a good place to buy stuff i see. thanks for the info. very helpful. what are shackles made of? thanks.
The axles are the RC4WD D40`s, they are the ones that come with the trail finder just in black, the shackles are made of brss and nickle plated
Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I got a little bit more done today between mowing the lawn and watching the nascar race...

When I started this build I decided I wanted this truck to be a show and go rig so just painting the bumpers and sliders was out of the question. I wanted something that would be shinny and durable. I turned to my friends at Caswell Plating,, http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html I ordered the plug and plate nickle plating system to plate them.

I have used these types of systems in the past. You just have to make sure what your plating is super clean before you start. The process takes some time but the results look great..

Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Tomorrow if I can get some time at work to finish my 1/8 inch square tube bender I will be starting in my contracors rack and will post pictures in a couple of days
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I got my bender done today. Its realy a simplely made tool to do what I want it to. Now I can get started on my contractors rack.... It is set up to have a scale 6 inch radius on the inside of the 1/8 square tube. Thought I would try a bend to see how it works, here it is...

It works just fine, no kinks or tears in the brass tubing at all. This was bent without heat aswell

Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

It has been a few days sence I updated this. I have been working on the contractors rack for this rig for the past few evenings and this is what I have done so far. I am still waiting on the K&S diamond mesh for between the light bar and the second cross member. There will be 6 Scale Offroad lights on the front. The lights that are on there now are for mock-up of the light protection. I managed to whip up a non-functional tool box to see how it looks

I am still trying to decide if I want to do a drop bed or not...

Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice build so far, I am watching!
F-150Highlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #19
RCC Addict

so mesh from k&s.... Is the brass tube, square tube for the rack from k&s too?

nice job....you just brazed.....what did you use to braze? flux?

thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

your metalwork looks great. Love the contractors rack. always wanted to do one. one detail I would have done differently is the vertical supports, where you kinked them toward the top I would have made them at an angle but straight from the bed to the top tube. then it would be similar angle to the cab. the racks are more commonly that way. then you could tie the end loop at the back down a bit to the vertical support. Still looks great.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote