Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: K2-5 vs SCX-10 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default K2-5 vs SCX-10 chassis

I've been building my K2-5 scaler for a few months and it's almost finished. Now the SCX-10 comes out and I can't help to wonder if that chassis might be a better way of making a capable scaler.

The K2-5 is using TLT axles, a R2 tranny, 60mm Tamiya road car shocks making about 2" of articulation before one of the rear wheels lifts from the ground.

The biggest issue with the K2-5 chassis is the mounting points for the upper links. They are longer than the lower links, so it rotates the axle badly as the suspension cycles. The wheelbase is set at 11.5".

Any thoughts about this? I think it would be cool if the Reign RC chassis can be tweeked to work very well, at least I'd have a rig that I built instead of buying but there is something to be said about a well engineered rig that you open the box and assemble.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
RCC Addict

do you have pics?
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds like you have some link geometry issues. K2-5 performs really well if its setup right.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I dont know much about the K2-5 chassis so I cant help you there. But the new SCX chassis is designed to use a double triangulated 4-link suspension front and rear. That would give you a lot of suspension travel. I hope this helps out a little.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

if you go by the build document (http://www.reignrc.com/reignrc/downl...0Bld%20Doc.pdf)
the upper and lower links are the same length.
at least thats how its designed to be.

anyways, next time we have a gtg I'll have my k2-5 along
so you can check it out.
sods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Try to post up some pics. We will be able to help you a lot better if we have an idea on what your dealing with. As stated above the links for the K2-5 are the same for the upper and lowers.

In comparing the two chassis's, that can only be done by build and not by performance. Both chassis's will work great and make great builds, it's all in how you want your rig too look.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

I have a K2-3L setup as per the build document and I helped build the RCC SCX-10. So I have built and driven both. The K2-5 is has very similar handling to the K2-3L from what I could tell.
The Reign and the Axial are very comparable in articulation and they drive very similar. They are both quite stable and have very predicable handling characteristics. I think the Reign might have a slight advantage in stability because the motor and trans can sit lower.

Your suspension issues are likely due to the upper links being longer as stated above by the man himself. With the small shocks the suspension setup works great.
I used a different setup on my K2-5 because I was going for a long travel suspension.

Post pics so we can see and help better.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all of the replies and offers for help, I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I followed the Reign RC build guide when I remade the locating links. I bought the truck as a rolling chassis and I did some changes to it that required me to use different upper links than what came on the truck.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here's some pics. The lower links are 110mm, so I made another set of 110's and replaced the 115's that I had on there. The articulation is a bit smoother, but now there is less of it, as it makes the shocks more verticle. It also points the pinion perfectly horozional.

With the longer uppers, the pinion was pointed upwards a bit, making for better ground clearance. I had to use the clocked C's to get the steering to work correctly.

In the pics, I have replaced the front uppers with 110mm length to match the lowers, since the front was giving me some issues with smooth articulation with the longer links.

Any feedback is appreciated. I've had the idea of going to a 80mm length shock and making new mounting holes to lay the shock over at a slightly steeper angle to get back the articulation that is lost when using the same length upper link.