Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another 1.9 Scaler F-350 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Another 1.9 Scaler F-350 Build

Hey y'all,

I finally bit the bullet and started a scaler build now that most all my comp stuff has sold. I'm not entirely sure what look I'm after yet. I'm leaning toward a nicely maintained daily driver that's built up for pretty serious weekend wheelin'. Maybe the equivalent of a real F-350 that's been built well and running ~40" tires. But that could change at any time! ;)

I decided to start with the SCX10, but immediately opted for the Hand Brothers 3-link/track bar with the chassis mounted servo. Still running the factory "3-link" in the rear. Here's a couple chassis pics.

The drag link ends look to be binding a bit so I'll probably change them out.

I couldn't stand the green anodize on the beadlock rings so I removed it and then took my flapper wheel to them to give them a brushed finish. It's the same thing I do to re-finish the beadlocks on my 1:1.

I also don't like how squared off the Flat Iron outer lugs are. Too unrealistic to me. So I took the same flapper wheel and rounded the outer lugs. Now they look more like a BFG Krawler.

Now it's time to mount the body. Here's the front mount.

And the rear (w/o Velcro in the pic).

I added styrene "guides" to help me align the body.

The body sits pretty much right where I want it to. The frame is just barely visible underneath. It has a bit of forward rake so I may drop the rear down an 1/8" or so.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looking good so far. Are you planning any custom bumpers for it?
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

But here's one of my problems. The cab and bed aren't solidly joined and this flex can't be good. ;)

So first I added a little support under the front of the bed. It helped.

But it wasn't enough so I bonded the cab and bed together with some styrene. This project is the first time I've used styrene so hopefully my skills will be improving quickly.

I also added some Velcro on the third support.

Now the body is VERY solid and I'm hoping there is enough Velcro to hold the body. If not, I can easily add more as required. The track width is too wide for my taste. I'll try to narrow the track as much as possible with different wheels, but I have a set of TLT axles that I may put underneath at some point.

The fenders will need some minor trimming, but the front bumper will need to have quite a bit removed. No biggie, though.

Then I tried my hand at body work. I intend to plug all the holes eventually, but I'm really concerned about the ones on the bottoms of the doors and on the roof. I thought I was being smart and plugged them with some styrene at first.

This works okay, but I should've let the plug sit below the surface. It would've made sanding after the filler much easier. Ah well, lesson learned. Here's where the bodywork sits as of this evening.

And a side view.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
Looking good so far. Are you planning any custom bumpers for it?
I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I heard the Traxxas Summit front bumper works well so that's a thought. I definitely plan on some brazing work and making some sliders and rear corner protection. I think I'll wait on the front bumper 'til I decide what to do about a winch.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Bein that this is your first time workin with styrene, how do you like it? Is it hard to get a handle on or did you pick up on it quick?
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Bein that this is your first time workin with styrene, how do you like it? Is it hard to get a handle on or did you pick up on it quick?
Matt
Yeah, it's actually easy to work with, I think.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Time for fender liners....

I'll be bedlining the inside of the bed and when I do I'll also do the fender liners. Now to do the fronts...
Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Fronts are done now. All four need some final finishing, but the hard work is done.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Nice clean start good job
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Bedliner in a can FTW!!

They could've been trimmed better, but I'm okay with it.

And I also trimmed the front bumper for more tire clearance when turned/stuffed. Notice I'm running Warn hubs now.

Last edited by Tommy R; 09-16-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #12

im likin how you rounded off the outer lugs, such an easy little thing to make it look ever so different!
scaavrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaavrf View Post
im likin how you rounded off the outer lugs, such an easy little thing to make it look ever so different!
Thanks! It makes a bit of a mess, but it's worth it. Just be careful not to skin your knuckles!

I guess I should also list some of the specs for the truck since I have yet to do so. Here you go....
  • 55t Integy motor (for now)
  • 3s Lipo (mah to be determined, but likely ~2000)
  • Castle Sidewinder ESC
  • JR Z9100T high torque servo with a CC BEC
  • 3Racing winch with either a dedicated 2s Lipo or a CC BEC
  • I'll likely run the new RC4WD 1.55 Swampers eventually.
I'm not sure what radio I'll run. Initially I'll use my Losi MRC radio, but after my Multiplex 403 sells, I'll pick up something.

I'm hoping to start on the wiring tomorrow and may also start on metal tubing work once I get a torch. I still need to determine what color I'm going to paint the truck. Leaning toward painting it like my Dodge (white w/silver bottom) or maybe a satin khaki color. The satin color wouldn't look like much of a daily driver, though, and that was my initial plan. We'll see...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Those inner fenders turned out sweet!!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Those inner fenders turned out sweet!!!
Thanks very much! I'm pleased, especially since it was my first attempt. It definitely makes the body more of a challenge to remove/install, but I think it's worth it. Not to mention it should also help keep debris off of any exposed electronics.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Got a coat of primer on the body today. Some of the body work is still noticeable, but I may just leave it. Not sure I feel like going through putting another coat of filler on it. I need to figure out what color I'm going to paint this thing!!

I also made an electronics tray. The battery will be pretty long and will take up most of the length of the plate.

I also picked up some brake line and a MaPP gas setup so I started playing around with an idea I have for some sliders.

Last edited by Tommy R; 09-18-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

It's beginning to look like a truck. Well, maybe a monster truck, but a truck nonetheless! I decided to paint it like my 1:1 and even put the CB antenna in the same place!

It's far from perfect and in my haste to get it up and running I screwed up a couple things, but nothing too bad. I will be adding some LEDs to the head/tail lights, maybe paint the cowl and door handles black, and either make a tonneau cover or maybe even make a drop bed for it. Having a bed that's only 1/2" deep really bugs me! A 3Racing winch and custom bumpers will be coming soon, too.

Now to finish wiring it up and give it a test drive!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Good lookin Super Duty!!
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I am liking the wheel well idea, gonna have to use that one on my scx if you don't mind. Other than the tires sticking out so far the rest of the truck looks real good. Maybe a set of fender flares might help out. keep up the good work.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not happy with the width of the axles, but other than that and the non-dropped bed, I'm really happy with it. I thought about doing flares, but I am just not a fan of them. We'll see, though...