Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep JK scaler build…..Attempt 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Jeep JK scaler build…..Attempt 1

Jeep JK scaler build…..Attempt 1

Ive always admired scalers and I finally decided to build one myself. I picked up a JK body off a buddy of mine with some axial axles and axial tranny in hopes of making a scaler. I have a new respect for those that do these all the time. It takes a lot of time and work to get them just right. I started out with a x-trail chassis (will be making my own chassis from now on) and swapped out my buddy for his scx10 chassis. It fit the JK better. I can see why its better to make a chassis that fits what body you are using now. Here it is rolling on 1.9 crushers. The first thing I noticed is when I set the body on, it set way too high so I decided to make some new shock mounts to allow me to set the body down a little lower and get the ride height I was after. I started off making 4 link plates as well. I made the 4 link setup out of threaded rod and revo rod ends to help me get them adjustable enough to get the wheel base just right. Here are a couple pics from the beginning.

Starting a template for the new shock mounts

Body setting on the chassis with no tranny installed yet

Test fitting the new shock mounts and I used threaded rod to attach the top to brace it up. I also decided to run a full droop setup for now so I had to remove the chassis braces from the frame itself in the front to allow the axle to tuck up into the frame.

Decided they were going to work so I made the other 3

Couple flex shots

I needed a place to mount the electronics so I made a plate to conform to the chassis. This will also act as a chassis brace to tie it together. Used some 22g steel that I had a sheet of.

At this point I decided to start on the body so I turned the psi down on my sandblaster and sanded the red off the body. I decided to mask it off and spray it blue.

Installed some little things, Hot racing straight axle kit, integy 45t motor, t-maxx drive shafts (nice and beefy), and finished up the 4 link finally. I made a tranny plate out of delrin and moved the tranny and motor to the side to allow the driveshaft’s to be in line with the axles.

At this point…I liked the crushers, but they looked small on that body. I picked up a set of disgustingly awesome rc4wd rok lox 1.9’s and put them on a set of scx10 beadlocks. Thanks again to Rckcrwlr for the good deal on them. These look sick on here…very realistic compared to a real irok!

Starting to look like a scaler now

Moved to the interior at this point and started on it. Put some black felt to look like carpet and detailed the crap out of it. I would like to thank my wife the artist for this. I don’t have the steady hand that she does. She makes it look easy.

Worked on the steering after that. I decided to make some servo mounts out of Delrin and attach them to the chassis plate I made. This would make for more realism keeping it off the axle. I then made a bent drag link for the steering. Threw a water proof traxxas servo on for now as well.

After looking at the blue for a week or so…I began to not like it. I went to my roots and decided to OD green it. I love military vehicles so its fitting. Back to the sandblaster we went and I decided to flat fender it to allow the tires to tuck better. This took a lot of patience with a dremel to get them to look just right. I painted the body OD green and then masked it off to paint the flares and bumpers. I also trimmed up the front bumper for now. Bumpers, rock rails, and roof rack will be coming next week. Im going to use the 22g steel and some 3/16 brake line for that stuff.

clodsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

First rough cut of fenders

First couple coats of OD green

Set the body on and wow what a difference

Made some body mounts and im going to use Velcro for now and attach the rock rails to the frame to help hold the body on.

Shot of the running chassis setup. I tested it out on our indoor course and it works very well.

Detailed the body a little more, added a spare to the back until I get the tire carrier made, put the lights and windows back in.

Set the body back on last night to see how its going to look now. I love it! im very happy with how its turning out. Here is how it sets right now. Bumpers, rock rails, roof rack, and inner fenders are next up. Ill start them probably tonight. Hope you enjoy my thread. Thanks for looking.

Set the hardtop on

Set it on the fake rock pile…lol. I cant wait to get this thing outside and on the real rocks.

clodsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

OH YAH! that's great looking, and keep up the good work! Nice matching on the components, it's looking real scale and real good. These tend to perform well also. Hope you like it!
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

It is coming along nicely. I think it looks much better in the green than it did in blue.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Looks good. Needs some Army stickers!

www.rcjeeps.com
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Now that looks real good but I started to imagine the wheels beadblasted and painted green with the Axial hub covers maybe flat black. Great build I'll be watching this
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote