Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 6x6 SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #1

Default 6x6 SCX10

Ok im planning on building a scale 6x6 out of an SCX10 TR. I would like it to be similar to the one in this forum... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/170883-broke-mofo-scx10-6x6-unimog-build.html#post1718260

What i need to know is what all i need for a complete conversion. This is what i know so far that i will need...

1) Extra Axial Rear Axle
2) Extra Pinion and Outdrive Case
3) Extra Linkages
4) Chassis Extension (have no clue how to do)
5) Extra Driveshaft
6) 2 Extra Shocks

is there anything im forgetting please let me know.. and if anybody has any pics of a 6x6 scx10 that would be greatly appreciated also.. thanks
wk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
WOOPOOW!!

I think you have it down so far. Just remeber you need 2 full axles, then you need another axle that has the pinion case, a spair pinion, and then another pinion case. Ive wanted to do a 6x6 for a while, igotit actually urged me to make one back when he made his. I will be watching what you go for
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Ok thank man, hey i gotta few more questions, what do i need to buy for the extra linkages and how many of em'? And for the chassis extension couldnt i just buy two more chassis rails and cut them in the right place then put the shock hoops on, instead of having to fab up a whole new thing? And one last one what driveshaft do i need to buy.
wk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Oh yea you forgot to post pics
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOMHILUX View Post
Oh yea you forgot to post pics
Can't post pics on something that isn't even started yet :?

Anyways, for the chassis extension, in the link you provided for the one that's the inspiration, it looks like he has a hacked up chassis screwed to the rear of the SCX10 chassis.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have a thread on here for my 6x6, but I used a Reign RC K2-6 chassis. I can share one bit of knowledge that I learned the hard way- when you are setting the wheelbase spacing between the rear axles, make sure you leave yourself enough room for a driveshaft that will have enough extension when the rear axles get twisted up. I had an issue w/ my rig that took a bit of head scratching to figure out, but it is working fine.

Don't forget that you will need to flip the rear axle upside down so that the driveshaft will turn it in the correct direction. This brings up another slight issue- when you flip the rear axle, you no longer have a place to bolt on the upper link mount because the holes that you would normally use are now at the bottom of the axle. I was able to setup a counterbore bit w/ a #40 pilot and I turned the hex shaped holes into counterbored holes, then used some 3x10mm spacers to mount up the upper link. It looks like a factory part when it's complete.

I'm also having to play w/ the spring rates on the rear axles, I'm going to end up using super soft springs so that the rear axles can float over the terrain. I modified SCX-10 shocks on my rig.

Good luck with the build, these 6x6's are a lot of fun once you get them moving!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I have a thread on here for my 6x6, but I used a Reign RC K2-6 chassis. I can share one bit of knowledge that I learned the hard way- when you are setting the wheelbase spacing between the rear axles, make sure you leave yourself enough room for a driveshaft that will have enough extension when the rear axles get twisted up. I had an issue w/ my rig that took a bit of head scratching to figure out, but it is working fine.

Don't forget that you will need to flip the rear axle upside down so that the driveshaft will turn it in the correct direction. This brings up another slight issue- when you flip the rear axle, you no longer have a place to bolt on the upper link mount because the holes that you would normally use are now at the bottom of the axle. I was able to setup a counterbore bit w/ a #40 pilot and I turned the hex shaped holes into counterbored holes, then used some 3x10mm spacers to mount up the upper link. It looks like a factory part when it's complete.

I'm also having to play w/ the spring rates on the rear axles, I'm going to end up using super soft springs so that the rear axles can float over the terrain. I modified SCX-10 shocks on my rig.

Good luck with the build, these 6x6's are a lot of fun once you get them moving!
How long is the K2 chassis from end to end?
formtheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

"Reign RC is proud to release one of the first production 6x6 chassis's to the crawling market.

The K2-6 chassis is designed to fit the needs of those of you wanting to build a 6x6. The design allows a builder to mount any of the Tamiya Tractor cabs or Bruder MAN/Actos cabs. The shark fin on the back makes it easy to 4 link all 3 axles, but if you prefer to leaf or make a walking beam setup you can easily cut off the fin and work from there.

The chassis is based off the K2-5 chassis platform. The width is 3 1/8", the length is 21.5"."
Grimsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think you would be better off selling your scx10 frame/body and just buying a 6x6 k2 chassis.

6x6 on a budget is very hard, you will need extra hardware, links, tires, and time. Your best bet is to either get some more posts up, or buy a star, so you can use the wanted/forsale section here. It will save you lots of $$.

I have now built two 6x6 axial based rigs, and if you are going to run it hard, you need to go 4 link on the two rear axles. You will break/pop the 3 link axle mount all day with the stress of two rear axles.

Good luck.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote