Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project "Scraps" M100 Military Trailer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Project "Scraps" M100 Military Trailer Build

Hey Guys, its been awhile since I've built anything from scratch ( too long in fact). After kicking around a few ideas, It came to me that it would be neat to build up an offroad trailer to haul gear, tools, spare parts, dirtbikes, etc to and from the trails.

Since I own a real 1:1 Korean War era "M100" Military trailer ( which was built to live and survive offroad) it was a "NO Brainer" as far as what style of rig I'd like to build. Then I challenged myself to build it with ONLY scraps and spares I already had at the house.. ( no buying outside stuff for this build at ALL..)..

For those that may not know, heres what a real "M100" trailer looks like ( The one pictured below is not mine btw..)

After taking measurments from a bunch of pictures online as well as my actual trailer, I broke out some scrap styrene and whipped up a few test panels..

Heres the basic design after gluing it all together

Then I built up an aluminum lower subframe, and came up with this idea for the axle. Hilift leafsprings, leftover stock hilift pivot points ( forget what exact parts these were, but I had ALOT of them extra in the parts bin, and they worked perfectly..) some HPI stock car rims, and some aluminum tubing and threaded axle shaft.

Here it is mocked up on the chassis, along with the aluminum draw bar.

Next up was how to make scale looking rounded fenders like on the real 1:1. then I had another brainstorm, and dug thru the parts bin again.. I came out with 2 "spare" tire covers from 2 Newbright JK jeeps I had built.. PERFECT..!!!! I cut them in half, glued the sections together and test fitted them, and they fit like clockwork.. ( seems as if they were "made" for this idea..LOL)

Here is the unfinished business end of things below..

Cut out some inner bed louvers....

And added a few more details to the bedsides and inner bed panels as well as adding some plastic taillights I stole from another old vintage toy I had laying around...

Next up is to strip it all back down, change out the hardware so its less visible, and then paint it O.D. Green, slap some wheels on it and its time to hit the trails..!! More to come very soon..!! Stay Tuned..!

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 08-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Very nice!! I like seeing peeps use the stuff they have on hand and think outside the box..
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Very nice! With the hitch you have how do you take it on and off?
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys..

The mounting setup is pretty basic actually. The clevis pin unscrews ( from the drop mount) and the trailer can be taken off whatever truck its attatched to. (The 6th pic from the top in the above post shows how it mounts.)

Ok, time for a few teasers.. I got it all painted up and have started adding some details and weathering - More to come soon..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Thanks Guys..

The mounting setup is pretty basic actually. The clevis pin unscrews ( from the drop mount) and the trailer can be taken off whatever truck its attatched to. (The 6th pic from the top in the above post shows how it mounts.)

Ok, time for a few teasers.. I got it all painted up and have started adding some details and weathering - More to come soon..

that is awesome sell me one!
LJ_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looking good Chris. Nicely done using only scraps. I have a trailer that looks close to that, it will be behind my D90 build.
So what's going to be towing this, one of the Willys?
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Oh ok i see
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looking forward to the weathering. airbrush or by hand?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I mounted up some 1.9" Dirt Grabbers this morning, loaded it up with scale cargo, and it was off to the trails for its maiden voyage. The test rig is my old school Bruiser hybrid scaler.

All loaded up ready to go..

With the double pivot mounting set-up, driving it over virtually ANY angle was a breeze..!! I'll just let the pics do the talking..

Then I drove it thru the one of the hardest off camber and twisty sections I have at my rock course.

I was amazed to watch the truck and trailer pivot 180 degrees from each other, yet the trailer pulled thru clean each time I went thru this section. All in all, this thing worked dam near perfect.

Just a little more weathering and a few more scale goodies and I think I can call this one "Done"

Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

That thing is cool! Really want to find a 1:1 to pull behind my trooper. Awesome build.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Sinking with the ship

Awesome work Chris
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks great bro Those are some awesome shots and wicked terrain, I wish I lived closer.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

that thing came out awesome nice job!!!!
03ssilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Came out nice

I need to finish mine
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I would like to do an adventure trailer for mine. Maybe this winter after I am done swapping out axles and suspension on my 1:1 rig i'll do that.
FlexdXJ is offline   Reply With Quote