Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: PROJECT ~FULL METAL JACKET JEEP TJ~ Part II ~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Default PROJECT ~FULL METAL JACKET JEEP TJ~ Part II ~

Well...for those of you who don't know...I bought Bonards29's "FULL METAL JACKET" Jeep TJ build.

This rig...used to belong to eddievedder....and then bonards29 bought it and turned it into the "FULL METAL JACKET" rig that it is today !!

It's an AWESOME RIG...and I had planned to just buy the body and the chassis....

But he offered me a GREAT DEAL so I also picked up the Killer Transfercase...and the Disruptor Tranny/Integy motor and the 3 driveshafts that he had for it too.

His setup was:

TLT Axles
RC4WD 80mm dual spring shocks
RC4WD Steel Spokes
and his choice of electronics.

HERE'S THE ORIGINAL "FULL METAL JACKET JEEP TJ" BUILD THREAD....that bonards29 did...it's AWESOME !

full metal jacket tj build

My plan's for this rig...is to stick to the MORE "METAL" theme...and here's the parts that I'm adding to this rig now:

NEW ALUMINUM D35 FRONT AXLE with Trailfinder 4 link setup (actually a 3 link setup)....I've already got the front axle and link setup installed.

New Heavy duty Front and Rear links with all Aluminum Rod ends w/steel swivel ball inserts.

NEW ALUMINUM D40 REAR AXLE with KATAN'S TRUE 4 Link setup (ordered and on it's way to me)

I have some of RC4WD's 80mm dual spring shocks....that I've customized and made them look more like the Ultimate Scale type shocks.

5-1.9" ProLine Super Swamper Tires

4-1.9" RC4WD "TRAIL RIDER" Aluminum Beadlock Wheels

I bought a new 3R winch...and put some of Bowtie's decals on it...and also some Scale Cable and an Aluminum Scale Hook from Crawler X.

I've got 3 New PUNISHER DRIVESHAFTS for this rig too...I'll put them on later though.

I'll let some of my pics do the rest of the talking....

I'm also planning on getting either some of RC4WD's Rok-Trac Diff covers...or maybe even some of the new ARB Diff Covers if they make them for the D35 & D40 Axles.

I got the Front end all done and the links mounted up on it .

That's all for now....until I get my Katan's 4 link kit in later this week.

By then...I hope to have some other things done to it too.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to paint the body or not.

This rig has TONS of cool....custom metal on it:

Custom tubed RollCage, Sliders, Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, FOLD DOWN Rear Spare tire carrier...fenders....floors...Custom Skid Plate.....and an entire STEEL "WRAP-AROUND" on the body !!!

ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 10-19-2010 at 08:44 PM.
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks good, wheels and tires look a lil big for it. But good work.
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yeah i agree the wheel/tire combo looks kinda big for the build. Other than that, awesome!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

That wheel and tire combo looks killer IMO.
Great JOB!!!
-TC5racer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztitan View Post
looks good, wheels and tires look a lil big for it. But good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Yeah i agree the wheel/tire combo looks kinda big for the build. Other than that, awesome!

Thanks guys....It may be the angle of the pics that make it look that way....in person the tires look perfect IMO.

But...if they do end up looking too big...I'll just reduce these down to 1.55"s...and throw a set of RC4WD's "VOID'S" Beadlocks on it and be done !

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC5racer- View Post
That wheel and tire combo looks killer IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC5racer- View Post
Great JOB!!!

Thanks bud !!

My main goal was to keep adding more "METAL" to this rig.....but I've also been trying to be careful...and I've been adding the Weight/Metal down LOW....and that is really helping to shift the COG down low.

That will help this rig stick even more...out on the trails!

It did really well before...judging from bonards29's videos....it looked like an awesome performer

thanks
ArOn
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
RCC Addict

1.55 VOIDS all the way! Here's mine with the VOIDS on 1.55 stompers. You can kind of get a sense of what it will look like since the stomper and TSL have close similarities. Of course mine's an LJ wheras yours is a TJ but IMO the 4" tire fits perfect. I have the same steel treatment going for mine. Steel highlines, sliders, rear quarter wrap around protection, the whole 9! All i need is a gas tank. I really wish bonards still had it only cuase i wanted to scale wheel mine and his together, both LJ and TJ fully armored! Not knockin you, its just you live a few thousand miles away from me so thats not gonna happen! Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

SWEET LJ !!

I know what you mean...I don't really know any local guys to run with here in East Central Indiana...so I can relate to you not being happy that it's GONE !!

The voids look great on there !!

These Swamper's were actually the same size as all of my sets of 1.55" Rock Stomper's were...or they're REALLY close.

I had 1.55 Stomper's on 7 or 8 of my scalers...and I've sold every single set of them and switched every rig over to the new Swamper's and I didn't have to change anything on any of my scalers because they fit the same.

I really love the look of the 1.55 Stomper's...they look so close to original TSL's !!

BUT...I've always ran TSL-SX's on most of my 1:1 rigs...so I had to make the switch...PLUS...these new Swampers are so soft and sticky and they perform VERY WELL !

Anyways....lookin at yours....with the Steel panels all painted up....has got me thinking about painting mine again ! LOL I used to paint 1:1's...a few yrs back....so I enjoy painting the RC's too.

Thanks for the pics...now I can get an idea on how mine would look...and I think it would also be pretty cool to reduce some Swamper's....nobody has done any yet...that I've seen.

They may even be too small...if I reduce them...I'll have to do some measuring and see.

Thanks
ArOn
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Actually someone has already reduced them. Look in the wheel/tire section. I just saw it. Reduced TSL's are the ISH! I tried my hand at reducing and narrowing the rc4wd two face tires cause i love that Walker evans/MTR kevlar look but it came out bad. Now my narrowed 1.9 two face on the other hand....those are bad arse!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Well...I checked...and the reduced versions of the TSL's...end up being about 3-5/8"s tall...which may be too short for this rig !

ArOn
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

That stinger is waaaayyyy out there, on both ends..

The truck looks pretty sweet overall! If I could make a few suggestions: keep the 1.9 Swampers, stretch the links front + rear, and give the rear a light comp cut. It would look just about perfect that way. Don't stretch it quite to the extent of ser3100's Unlimited (also a nice Jeep by the way), but enough to make those big tires look like they fit on there.

Shouldn't have any problems with that drivetrain breaking...
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_thing View Post
That stinger is waaaayyyy out there, on both ends..

The truck looks pretty sweet overall! If I could make a few suggestions: keep the 1.9 Swampers, stretch the links front + rear, and give the rear a light comp cut. It would look just about perfect that way. Don't stretch it quite to the extent of ser3100's Unlimited (also a nice Jeep by the way), but enough to make those big tires look like they fit on there.

Shouldn't have any problems with that drivetrain breaking...

Thanks for the suggestions...but I won't be comp cutting the rear....these rear fenders are a work of art...if you could see them in person you'd know what I mean.

They are STEEL and they'e got steel tubing making up the outer edges.....and I won't ever cut them up !

Here's a LINK...to the original build thread...so that you can get an idea of how it's been built/fabbed...if you'd like to see more details on this rig:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42658

I also won't cut the front flat fenders either...they're very well made too.

I really doubt if I'll change ANY of the tube/steel work on this rig...it's pretty awesome...as it is...IMO.

Here's 2 of Bonards29's Pics...to show some of the STEEL Details...that I'm talking about !!

Everything that is currently BLACK...on this body...is STEEL...and has incredible details and fab work..built into it.

The entire floor section was cut out..and replaced with STEEL too.

I enjoy everyone's input though...thanks!!

ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 10-19-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
RCC Addict

OH yeah i agree, DO NOT cut any of the fenders. Thats actually where i got inspiration to do my LJ! After doing my first LJ, im collecting parts for another LJ build.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

That grey LJ is freakin SWEET!!!. Waiting to the see the yellow TJ all set up. I may have missed it but what body is that?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
OH yeah i agree, DO NOT cut any of the fenders. Thats actually where i got inspiration to do my LJ! After doing my first LJ, im collecting parts for another LJ build.

Thanks for agreeing w/me...everyone who has seen this body...would Kill me if I chopped up these fenders !!

It's cool that it was the inspiration for your awesome LJ build !!

I can't wait to see your next creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
That grey LJ is freakin SWEET!!!. Waiting to the see the yellow TJ all set up. I may have missed it but what body is that?

It started it's life as a regular 1/10th scale NewBright Jeep TJ Hardbody.

I've got another body like this that i may put up for sale soon...

Thanks for the comments guys !

ArOn
Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Yeah id prob stop buying from you if you chopped it up! HAHA. Ive seen your past builds and i know you like a clean simple yet functional rig so i know whatever you come up with its gonna be an improvement to an already nice rig. BTW heres the next LJ im building. Its coming from the same twisted minds that built the 1:1 LJ that i based my first build on, ROKMEN. Im gonna be replicating thier original "FREAK" which you see below.

Just need a few more odds and ends.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

I LOVE that ROKMEN "FREAK" rig !!!

I think that I saw that rig over on Pirate or somewhere that I was surfing...awhile back !!

I may just turn my ~JK TRUCK~ Project...into a build like this one and yours !!!!

Here's the body that I'd be "ARMOR PLATING" :

ArOn

Here's my Chassis...it's pretty much done except I will take off my "mockup" links...and replace them with beefier links...and mount up my Tranny (R2-2spd-Dig Tranny)

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 10-19-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thoes jeeps look great does anyone have a link to the original build of the full metal jacket
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
RCC Addict

OOOOHH that JK build you have would be perfect. I would do that but i already got a new set of 1.55's and 1.55 tires and they would look way too small on a JK body.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Thoes jeeps look great does anyone have a link to the original build of the full metal jacket
Here ya go bud : full metal jacket tj build

I also added a link to the ORIGINAL BUILD THREAD....in my first post too....so everyone can check it out if they'd like to !

Quote:
OOOOHH that JK build you have would be perfect. I would do that but i already got a new set of 1.55's and 1.55 tires and they would look way too small on a JK body.

Yea..I've got LOTS of ideas spinning around in my head now !!

I might try to get a new set of 2.2" Proline Swampers....and reduce them down to 1.9"s....and that would probably be a PERFECT TIRE for my JK TRUCK !!

ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 10-19-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Ahh.. Now I understand the metalwork a bit better. In that case, I suppose it would be better left as is. Actually, comparing it to the original setup, it may just be the angle of the pictures that is throwing off the look. It looks about perfect with the 1.7 Swampers, so the 1.9s should work to add a little beef to the look. The rear end makes a lot more sense now that I see the tire mount.

I'm generally not much on Jeeps newer than ~1970, but ones with well used rock armor like that 1:1 are just awesome. Keep up the nice replicas!
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote