Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: my take on a bruiser hybrid trail beater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default my take on a bruiser hybrid trail beater

well this is gonna be my first bruiser chassied truck and im excited to do this one
my parts list so far is as follows
og tamiya bruiser frame
tlt axles with dinky leaf spring mounts
rcp rear lockouts and rcp front steering knuckles
chino military leafsprings with a few extra leafs in the pack
front has rc4wd 110mm scale shocks and for the rear im not sure which ones to use yet
dinky replica interior and rc4wd clear window set
rc4wd stamped steel wheels and right now i have rock stompers on it but will be changing them out in favor of some mudslingers
front mounted motor running into hpi gru into a modded gd600 gru with 5 mm pinion conversion
with a gcm transfer case
im gonna try to use a bellcranck steering setup on this but not sure yet how to do it
im using a repro hilux body but i only have the cab right now will be getting a bed soon, not sure if i wanna bob it or not, i def dont wann chop the frame so ill wait to see
heres a few pics of this thing so far

sorry for the bad pics there off my phone, and dont mind the body sagging its not solid mounted yet
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

i made a little more progress on my truck recently.
i picked up some rc4wd mudslingers which i think are a perfect fit on this truck. i got my bed in and also picked up a rogue elements drop bed kit, which i goofed up, i wont say but you can prolly see it in the picture,bobbed the bed about 7/8 of an inch(just enough that i dont have to cut the frame, i got my drivetrain setup. i also picked up a tekin fxr esc and 45t motor, and dang that thing is tiny!!! but awsome!!. i also picked up a 3 cell lipo, not sure if ill use it, it may be too powerful for the tlt axles, but i did pick up some cvds for them, still waiting for them in the mail. also won some og bruiser springs on ebay so if these bend or break i shall replace them with the ogs. well enough rambling heres some pictures
body pictures and FLEX shots!!

drivetrain

electronics box which will be in the bed inside a tool box

3 cell lipo

leaf springs, theres 5 in the front pack and 4 in the rear but i will add a 5th one soon aswell as chino mod them for more FLEX!!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i see where you goofed off,but if you havent said anything i dont think anyone would have notice.
i say your off to a good start and its lookin good
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Man the drop bed looks good if you didnt say anything I wouldnt have noticed the goof. Really nice T-case mount, looks like the real deal.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Goof up on the bed ain't so bad, stick some scale accessory stuff in front of it if it really bugs you. Looks like you are getting some good flex out of it, any ideas on color yet?
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouse_1 View Post
i see where you goofed off,but if you havent said anything i dont think anyone would have notice.
i say your off to a good start and its lookin good
Thanks man, but I think it's just the picture, if you saw it in person you'd notice lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Man the drop bed looks good if you didnt say anything I wouldnt have noticed the goof. Really nice T-case mount, looks like the real deal.
thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Goof up on the bed ain't so bad, stick some scale accessory stuff in front of it if it really bugs you. Looks like you are getting some good flex out of it, any ideas on color yet?
yeah I am makin a tool box to put up against the cab, yes the flex us pretty good the chino springs are very flexy, and I haven't even drivin on them yet. I was thinkin of painting it the way I got the body, the cab will be white and
the bed will be red, not gonna paint quite yet, I still wanna fill all the holes in the side with some styrene
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

A few updates, got my tlt cvds in the mail, still gotta put them in, also I started on a tool box to cover up my effup.
I only got 1 picture so far, I still gotta make the box cover and then laminate it with the diamond plate. I was gonna just make it out of the diamond plate but the stuff is way to thin and flimsy, I don't even think it's styrene, it's some other type of plastic. After I finish up the tool box, the next step will be to make front and rear shock mounts. And then start the tube work, I have a hard time makin front bumpers but I hope
this goround I'll figure it out.
Well here's the one picture

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Just a small update, got some 90mm super scale shocks in the so I mounted them up. Inside the shock I shaved a side down in the shock piston so oil can flow a bit easier. Hopefully this thing will be running soon, me and my bro took his f350 out this past weekend and had a blast, got me itchin to play again lol

all mounted up, looks Good but may need some
adjustments, not sure yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Wow, you were right about the Chino's flexing really well. Looks like my OG Bruiser will be replaced soon. With the bobbed bed, tires and wheels and tool box, our trucks are like twins but your is way nicer and cleaner.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS View Post
Wow, you were right about the Chino's flexing really well. Looks like my OG Bruiser will be replaced soon. With the bobbed bed, tires and wheels and tool box, our trucks are like twins but your is way nicer and cleaner.
Yea Mann they do flex well, just gotta get a good shock setup that won't hinder it at all. And yeah it's like I'm copying you lol maybe I should rename it the "Honolulu hi-lux clone" lol. And if you look at it upclose, it's pretty rough, the bad pics hide it lol yours is more betters than mine, besides, you've beaten that thing up, it should be a little more busted up lol, once I start playing with it it'll be ugly.

Last edited by rocksteadily; 03-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Well today I actually got a good few hours of dedicated work on my truck. I pretty much finished up the elcectronics hiding and setup, I stripped out a hole in my front axle housing so I had to replace that so while I was at it I shaved all the unneccisary plastic and made it smooth. I made
the front shock mounts using tamiya hilift shock hoops and redrilled mounting holes. Also, the most time consuming accomplishment, I finally finished the tool box. Skinned it with diamond plate and the lid is held on with 3m heavy duty Velcro. Here's a few pictures I got today.
Mhmm nice and shaved!!

had to drill out the kingpin bushings hole cause I'm using hardware from highlift axles
before

after

and put a little grease on the screw itself to help with smootitity

the tool box fits the electrical box nicely

but only will fit my 2cell lipo in it, I think 3 cells is too much for this anyway

and with the diamond plated skinn and lid in place

front shock mounts

and front view of shocks

and just for fun, look at all that steering very nice!! It'll come in handy I think lol
All thts left to do is paint but I'm still not sure what color I wanna paint it,, suggestions welcome
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Love the bruiser framed full leafed trucks with tlt's. Tlt's are the perfect width for most scale trucks.
I also have a bruiser framed rig with tlt's thats full leafed.

I have couple questions for you,
On your steering. Mine doesnt have that much throw.
How do you have your servo mounted?
And do the RCP knuckles help with the throw also.

Are you running the multi leaf set up in this pic with the military wrapped springs? Only way for me to get that flex is single leafs with RC4WD bruiser replacement springs and 3/4 elliptical in the rear.

Last edited by 59sled; 03-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Yeah in that picture there are 5 springs, I cut the 2nd spring so it's basicly like another helper spring, I cut off the front eyelit and also the rear 1/4 wrap, it's about 1/4 inch shorter than the main leaf, also on top of the main leaf there is a highlift spring that's about 1 inch long to help keep the top spring from linking when drooping out. So I have the full pack and an extra one on top. I had to go to big island today for work, but when I get home
I'll take a picture for you. Also I rivited the spring pack together so now it flexs a little less but the springs haven't been used yet so they'll get softer as they break in.

And yes the rcp knuckles are clearenced for alot of steering, in the picture it's not hooked up yet to the servo so it may change once I hook it up. And I cut out a section of the front crossmember for the servo, I will also take s picture of that for you
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

No real updates, I got the steering hooked up to the servo but it's way off, the upper drag link is way behind the tie rod connecting the knuckles, also, I got some og bruiser springs in the mail for back ups.

that's all I got for pictures at the moment
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Here's the picture of how the servo is mounted fo you 59sled, I'm not sure it's the right setup or not, notice the drag link is behind the from tie rod. I think I'll have to do some reconfugring with the servo. Also I was out playing and broke a my pinion. So the only other pinion I had was 13t, previously 10t and with the new one the motor gets quite hot but has the load of wheelspeed.

pinion breakage
Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Some updates for today, I finished painting the toolbox finally. I also relocated the electronics box to under the bed, the truck was way too top heavy and rolled over too easy. After I put it under the bed it was alot more stable, now the toolbox will just
house the batteries
here's the tool box all nice and shiny black

and the relocating of the electronics box
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=rocksteadily;3000336]Here's the picture of how the servo is mounted fo you 59sled, I'm not sure it's the right setup or not, notice the drag link is behind the from tie rod. I think I'll have to do some reconfugring with the servo. Also I was out playing and broke a my pinion. So the only other pinion I had was 13t, previously 10t and with the new one the motor gets quite hot but has the load of wheelspeed.

Thanks. My servo is also standing up like yours, but is between the shock mounts and a little to the left side of the chassis. My drag link is even with the tie rods. I have to look into the RCP knuckles then to get more throw maybe.
Also love the toolbox too.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Thanks. My servo is also standing up like yours, but is between the shock mounts and a little to the left side of the chassis. My drag link is even with the tie rods. I have to look into the RCP knuckles then to get more throw maybe.
Also love the toolbox too.[/QUOTE]

thanks! I can't move my servo up anymore cause of the motor, maybe I'll have to look into a different motor/tranny setup, maybe a r2 trans. or maybe I can try to mount the servo longways along the inside of the frame? I'll look into that possibility. Also, I highly reccomend the rcp knuckles, they give you alotta steering and there only 15$ it's pretty cheap.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Today I got to take my truck out to play, welli played for about 15 measly minutes before I had some breakage!! The hpi gru has broke, it's something internal cause the outputshaft is all messed up and wobbly and the pinion I just put on is worn out!! So it looks like I'll be swapping for a r2 transmission and I think in doing that I can correct my steering cause I'll have more room for my servo mount. I did manage to get a few pics of me and my buddys crew cab. I'll take dome pics of the breakage after I tear into it amd look at things.

my buddys crew cab

Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Today I got to tear into the wk gru and found out that I snapped the main shaft in half. I'm gonna do away with this setup and go with a front mounted r2 trans which is on it's way, this will also allow me to mount my servo correctly. But with the new trans the gearing will be
different so I'll have to ply with pinion settings to get the wheelspin I want.
Here's a picture of the new pinion I just put in and also the shaft of the wk gru