Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: bigflex's CFM Offroad/Krawl Kustoms YJ build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bigflex's CFM Offroad/Krawl Kustoms YJ build!

Well I am not really a Jeep fan but when I saw Ashton's YJ @ Crawlapalooza last yeah it really spicked my interest. The more I looked at his the more I wanted to build one for myself. Well I got a call from Jwalker telling me he had just traded his bully for a YJ from Rockbound I started to get excited. After much persuading I as able to talk Jesse into selling it to me. So after making a deal with the devil I was the proud new owner of Rockbounds old YJ. Here is a couple of pics of it from when he still had it.

Well I got it from Jesse about a week and a half ago and just stared at it. Heres what it looked like when I recieved it.

After looking it over and messing with it for a while I knew something didn't feel right to me. It looked to nothing like any 1:1 I would ever own or drive. I knew then I needed to make some changes. After going back and looking at Ashton's YJ build I knew what needed to be done so I started pulling it apart for a rebuild of sorts. Its more like a transformation from mild streetable offroader to an all out rock crawling beast. The wheelbase started @ 10 and 3/8" and I stretched it out to right @ 11.5" and comp cut the rear and removed the bumper/exo setup that was on it. That still didn't do it for me so I called up my good buddy Clay and told him what I had in mind. He was all for helping me out. I went over to his house and we got started the next day. here is a couple of teaser pics of what we are doing to her.

Thats all I can post for now. We are taking plenty of progress pics as we get more done but We have a big comp and G^ event planned for next weekend and I want the rig to be a surprise for the guys that will be there so I will post the rest of the pics along with more specs and details after the 14th.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

looking good man cant wait to see what you end up doing to it!
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thoes are some weired looking wheels, but sweet looking bumpers!
R/C BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Metal shaper

I had fun tubing this out for you. Just what I needed to get me motivated to finish my buggy build and take on another project for Eddie if he ever gets off his ass. Figure he will once he sees the finished product next weekend. Now hurry up and get it together and send me some finished pics so I don't have to wait, seeing as how I'm gonna miss the best event ever.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C BUM View Post
Thoes are some weired looking wheels, but sweet looking bumpers!
I agree. They are weird looking. They will not find there way back onto this rig. I have a set of OMF's with big rings from dark soul that are going on her. They fit the attitude way better. After all I'm not building a mall crawler.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryone View Post
I had fun tubing this out for you. Just what I needed to get me motivated to finish my buggy build and take on another project for Eddie if he ever gets off his ass. Figure he will once he sees the finished product next weekend. Now hurry up and get it together and send me some finished pics so I don't have to wait, seeing as how I'm gonna miss the best event ever.
She should be a roller today. Manda decided she wanted to hang with her mom today so it's just me and the kids. so I will have plenty of time to work on it. I will shoot you some pics asap bro. I can't thank you enough for doing this man. After you do Eddie's yota I might need some help with mine. I gotta change it up pretty soon. I hate that your gonna miss this event, but I will represent Anger Inc. well!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

not bad so far, I would have changed it up some too if I would have kept it. Atleast now i can say that i owned a running scaler for a short time, lol. Mine should be a roller today if not almost running. the Hallsville Heep club is going to kick ass this weekend. This is for you Eddie and Jeff :flip off:: flipoff:

jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well she is a full roller. I need to pick up a drive shaft for the rear, repaint the body, and get her wired up. I promise guys I will be posting pics soon. I am pretty sure it is worth the weight. Just keep checking back. Here is one more teaser pic just to keep everyone interested.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Shawn! Cant wait to see it run this weekend!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice tube work! This should be a great build Shawn
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys! I guess it won't hurt to post up some more pics of the chassis with out the body on it.

okay thats it for now. I will post up the body on pics as well as the roller and runner pics later.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I like where this is going. You will love the boatsides. The only thing that is keeping me from running them is loosing a little belly clearance. It will be good to see the jeep and your wife this weekend!

Last edited by helhedded; 05-09-2011 at 09:37 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

and you too

Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
and you too

I know I just go with the package right! We will be there with smiles and livations. Oh and all 4 of my scalers along with my new XR and the 1.9.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I know I just go with the package right! We will be there with smiles and livations. Oh and all 4 of my scalers along with my new XR and the 1.9.

Yep, you are an added bonus just kidding, Shaun not Shane

I'll be there with my Berg, Lil Focker and Yj.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I figure I might as well post up more progress pics of this thing.

Those are the last pics I took of it before I got her finished up. I still need to add a HiLift jack to the hood and figure out my center limiting straps but other than that she is done and ready to wheel!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm running a 35t handwound in it with 87/18 gearing, a trusted and small FXR, Castle BEC, a hitec 5998TG servo, and to control my winch sense the controller craped out on it I am using an old Moped V16R esc I had laying in the drawer. I might need to do some tuning on the shocks but other than that it seems ready for action. Here's a few poser shots of it before I take it to the G6 event tomorrow.

I will be sure and get some pics of it in action to post up.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Heres one more of it on the shelf. This will give you an idea of how it sits when not flexing out.

You guys let me know what you think of her. I am pretty damn pleased with how it turned out. A little detailing here and there and she will look even better. I plan to add inner fenders and a few other small details to it but ran out of time before the event so that stuff will just have to wait.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

did you solder the chassis or braze it? it's a nice truck. I'm drooling more now that I thought about making a scaler.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
did you solder the chassis or braze it? it's a nice truck. I'm drooling more now that I thought about making a scaler.

Its all mig welded together. Its so much faster and I am not to worried about the joints looking like a scale weld like some guys are.