Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project ~WIDESIDE YOTA~ (MSD UTE chassis?-PittBull tires are HERE-new wheels?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Default Project ~WIDESIDE YOTA~ (MSD UTE chassis?-PittBull tires are HERE-new wheels?)

WIDESIDE YOTA

This is my favorite current project.

It's got an MFM chassis....with a truggy/flatbed rear....that will have a quick removable.....STEPSIDE bed.

The goal.....is to be able to change the truck's overall look....by simply removing the bed in a quick & easy manner.

The 2 looks that I'm shooting for are:

Look #1: Custom...full bodied Yota with a Baja look in the front....and a Stepside bed in the rear to match the width of the front mods.

Look #2: Custom Yota with a Baja Look in the front....and a truggy/flatbed type look in the rear.

The plans for this....came from a Stepside Yota that I stumbled upon one night while looking thru hundreds and hundreds of 1:1 Yota truck pics.

I knew then...that I had to have an RC version of that truck......with a few added "twists"....to make it my own.

I've been trying to wait on RC4WD's new Grill....for this project...but I'm getting impatient...so I started my own custom grill for it too.

Actually...I started 2 different grills for it...one will be completely scratch built from styrene....while the other one is being built with a combination of styrene + tamiya Hilux grill.

If I go with one of my grills...for this build....I will utilize Tamiya Wrangler headlight buckets and lenses.....just like I did on the grill that I recently made for the "Unique Yota" truck that I recently finished/sold.

This rig will have an Interior w/clear windows. It will either be an original Bruiser type interior...or a scratch built interior (I've got both to choose from...currently)

Here are a few pics to get it all started:

THE TRUCK THAT I'M USING TO BASE MY BUILD OFF OF..........

WHAT I'VE GOT DONE SO FAR (Next....I'll be modding the rear Stepside Fenders to better match the look of the Real Truck's stepside bed :

WHEELS/TIRES....I'm thinking about running my "inside-out" RC4WD steel spoked beadlock wheels.

I can't see the wheels.....on the 1:1 truck....but I can see a little bit of them...and they kind of look like these do.

The mudthrasher's will be removed and the NEW 1.9" PITBULL ROCK BEAST Tires....will be mounted up on these wheels.

The new 1.9" PITBULL ROCKER tires.......will make it match the 1:1 truck's tires PERFECTLY !

HERE'S a pic of the new Pittbull RockBeast's.....this pic is from RPP Hobby.....just to show you what it looks like:

AXLES....will be RC4WD's new "CAST YOTA" axles (if they're done in time).

IF the Cast Yota's aren't done in time.... I've also got modded Hilift Axles or Axial Axles that I can go with.

TRANNY.....to keep it simple and strong.....I'll probably just be using an Axial Tranny w/steel outputs.

FRONT BUMPER.....I've recently picked up a Proline WESTERN bumper....that I plan on modifying...to make it match the 1:1 truck's front bumper.

I picked the chassis up awhile back....and I can't remember who built it but they did a pretty nice job on it.

I like the clean & simple lines and look of it....and the Aluminum diamond plate on the bedfloor.

CHASSIS PICS

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 06-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The mods you're doing with this will make it stand out for sure. I like all the little touches you're doing to it, namely the rims as those alone will garner ooh's and aah's. I like this build very much and am subscribed!
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
The mods you're doing with this will make it stand out for sure. I like all the little touches you're doing to it, namely the rims as those alone will garner ooh's and aah's. I like this build very much and am subscribed!

Thanks Tazman.....it's definitely alot of bodywork to do....but in the end I'm hoping that it will be a really unique Yota.

ArOn
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks great so far Aron..! Those front fenders came out sweet..! Keep up the Awesome work bud !
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Awesome job with the fenders. It's nice to see something done differently with the Hilux body
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Looks great so far Aron..! Those front fenders came out sweet..! Keep up the Awesome work bud !

Thanks Chris !

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Awesome job with the fenders. It's nice to see something done differently with the Hilux body

Thanks and I agree....sometimes I really like to mix things up and try to come up with something a bit different from the norm !

Thanks alot everyone....and here's a small update.....the cab is in primer and I'm doing some final/light sanding and spot putty work on it now.

I also just started on the rear stepside fenders....and I'll post up some pics of them next !

ArOn

Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

WoW, nice & simple. Wish I can do the body work. That is BAD A$$ bro...Keep it up....
mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

its like ivan stewart fenders meets grandpa truck!!! love it!!! the only thing that kills the look for me it the bumpere! needs a little kick..lol

nice rig aron! keep it up
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Thanks guys !

I'm planning on making the front bumper look just like the real trucks bumper....because I'm wanting it to look as close to the 1:1 rig as I can possibly make it !

I recently traded for a set of Proline's "Western" bumpers.....and I started adding Styrene/bondo and did some cutting with my dremel.

My goal was to make the bumper look as close as the 1:1's bumper.

First.....I made up the front bumper.....but it looked too deep/thick.

SO....I turned the back bumper....into a front bumper...and I like it pretty well....but it just didn't look close enough to the real truck's bumper for me.

So then I decided to cut the original front bumper attempt.....down...and change the shape/contour of it to match the 1:1's bumper.

I still have to make the pushbar/grill protector....like I did on the other bumper.......and do some final sanding/painting....but I think that it will work out pretty good.

Thanks
ArOn

Here's the bumper that I'm going to be using now....I'll be adding the pushbar/grill guard......and I've cut down some Hilux front Turnsignal lenses....that I'll be using in the bumper too.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Body and bumper work are spot on! Turning into a really nice build. Keep the motivation up, I want to see this running!
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This build is off the hook ...body looks fantastic

sent VIA evo4g a very shitty phone
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

bumper is spot on now you need to have your driver seat higher than the passenger like in the pic haha coming along great really great.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
RCC Addict

It's comming along good man! The cab looks spot on, nice work!
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #14

Hope you don't mind if I drop a few more pictures of this 'Yota ?

Looks familiar ?

And now ?

Ready for the back ?

Size comparison

Peter of A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Thanks for all of the input guys !!!

Also...thanks Peter.....for all of the new Pictures....I plan on incorporating several of the new things shown....into this build !!!

I got the front bumper all done finally (I've also cut down some chrome housings for the turnsignals too).

ArOn

Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Really cool build......Love the fatfendered Lux in both forms..unique

Screams early days desert racer too me
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

wow looks fricking awsome bro. I think you should do something different for the bed. I dont really like the bed on that 1:1 Yota that your basing your build on
crawling-wallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peli View Post
Really cool build......Love the fatfendered Lux in both forms..unique

Screams early days desert racer too me

Thanks Peli !

I get a little bit of that desert racer vibe from it too !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawling-wallz View Post
wow looks fricking awsome bro. I think you should do something different for the bed. I dont really like the bed on that 1:1 Yota that your basing your build on

Thanks bud !

My main goal....is to try to make it look as close to the original truck....as possible....for now.

BUT.....since I'm making the bed....a Quick Detachable setup......if I don't like it....I can easily just run the truggy/flatbed look.......OR.....I can also fab up multiple beds for it....each one with a different "Look" to it.

I've already been thinking about several different beds that I'd like to have for it....besides just having the stepside bed !

UPDATE:

Well...since the 1:1 truck has Corbeau seats in it....I've decided to pull my Original Bruiser Interior out of it....and go with a scratch built interior.

The plan is to use the new Corbeau seat's....that come in the new Axial WRAITH....if they'll fit ok.

I'll also add in a custom dashboard that I picked up awhile back.

Dready started the custom dash.....then I added the new Steering wheel...vents....functional ashtray.....CB Radio.....an INCLINOMETER......gauges...etc.

I'm planning on re-doing the Gauges though.....I'll be using some of gauge bezels from RPP...if I can find any. (I'm not sure if they're in stock right now...I'll have to go look)

So here's some pics of the dash rebuild:

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Here are a couple pics of the Corbeau seats that I'll be using on this truck.

They're from the new Axial Wraith.

I'm hoping that they release them pretty soon !

These pics are from KaeTwo's Wraith review/specs thread.....he took some pics of them for us all to enjoy.

They recline and everything....plus they're super light.

The best part is....the 1:1 truck....has Corbeau seats in it.....so this will also match it really well !! :nice:

Thanks
ArOn

Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Very good job so far.I like the fat fendered look on the body.Love those seats,can't wait till they release them separate
avengernut is offline   Reply With Quote