Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ocho's Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ocho's Cherokee

Hey all, Figured I would share my slow beater build with you. Your input and ideas and what not is greatly appreciated. My idea with this was to make a truck that i could just have fun with and looks somewhat scale. My budget is what ever i feel like spending pretty much which is usually very little haha.

as it sits now
Tfinder Chassis
R2 tranny
35turn motor
xl-5
flysky rx tx
chassis mounted mg946r
CAC wheels with flat irons
Trex-60s with XVDs
RC4WD spark shocks
4link front and rear

Last edited by the_ocho; 11-08-2011 at 08:06 PM.
the_ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Just a small little update.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Wicked looking rig!!!!!!!! Minus the large decal on the side lol
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like it, that suspension looks trail ready for sure. How do you like the axles.?
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Trex 60s are ok, not nearly as strong as Axial axles but make up for that in scale. My first run with them i snapped an axle in the first 5 min. So I upgraded to XVD axles and then since they were stronger I started stripping pinons. now i got them set up I don't have too many problems but the pinon is still the weakest part of my drive train since the punisher shafts or R2 are not about to break. People complain about the plastic housings but I haven't had a single problem with them still on my first set tho I have a back up set just in case.. cheap insurance. I absolutely hate the mounting system I need to come up with something custom. and the Pinon angle on the front sucks. mine is horrible because I would rather have my caster angle be somewhat decent. If there were clocking hubs for them It would clear that up tho.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just have the axial axles in plastic and aluminum but I always thought rc4wd axles looked way more scale. Never known anyone with them. I want to see them work.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Those are great photos on the red rocks. The NJ rock where I live is poor and hard to find in the over-developed Northern NJ.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ocho View Post
Trex 60s are ok, not nearly as strong as Axial axles but make up for that in scale. My first run with them i snapped an axle in the first 5 min. So I upgraded to XVD axles and then since they were stronger I started stripping pinons. now i got them set up I don't have too many problems but the pinon is still the weakest part of my drive train since the punisher shafts or R2 are not about to break. People complain about the plastic housings but I haven't had a single problem with them still on my first set tho I have a back up set just in case.. cheap insurance. I absolutely hate the mounting system I need to come up with something custom. and the Pinon angle on the front sucks. mine is horrible because I would rather have my caster angle be somewhat decent. If there were clocking hubs for them It would clear that up tho.
I was having the same problem with my trex axles, and I have found that if you shim the spool so there is no side to side slop, and shim the pinion so there is no in out slop it eliminates this problem. The shims they sell on the rc4wd site as add ons when you buy the pinion are made just for this problem. You get like 10-12 shims, and I only used one on each side of the spool, and one at the pinion. You should also look out for a build thread will be doing in the next few days. I had some aluminum tubes machined so I can use axial C-hubs, and high steering knuckles. They worked out great, and I think they are going to make the axle bomb proof.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin-Paul View Post
Those are great photos on the red rocks. The NJ rock where I live is poor and hard to find in the over-developed Northern NJ.
Thanks, they were taken out at Valley of fire here in NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I was having the same problem with my trex axles, and I have found that if you shim the spool so there is no side to side slop, and shim the pinion so there is no in out slop it eliminates this problem. The shims they sell on the rc4wd site as add ons when you buy the pinion are made just for this problem. You get like 10-12 shims, and I only used one on each side of the spool, and one at the pinion. You should also look out for a build thread will be doing in the next few days. I had some aluminum tubes machined so I can use axial C-hubs, and high steering knuckles. They worked out great, and I think they are going to make the axle bomb proof.
Yeah i have noticed since i made some shims for the pinon it has helped a lot. I used one of those plastic body washers and just cut it down to fit the pinon and its the perfect thickness to take all the slop out of it. I was going to shim the spool but then I was in a hurry to get the axles back together. I defiantly will if I have to tear them down again, Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

cool cherokee dude i have one comeing in the mail
chevytrucks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

and then as a result of rolling off a big cliff. a little unwanted suspension flex

Last edited by the_ocho; 11-13-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Your Xj is a beast, it was insane watchin you take those lines and make it..!!! Had a blast though.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivas Concepts View Post
Your Xj is a beast, it was insane watchin you take those lines and make it..!!! Had a blast though.
Haha thanks man, your rig held its own out there. just gotta play with the weight a little bit. We are going to have to go out again. As long as I get a little heads up either Saturday or Sunday will work for me usually
Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yea 2 more guys can go if we do a saturday.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivas Concepts View Post
Yea 2 more guys can go if we do a saturday.
Saturday is fine, If we do this saturday Its going to have to be later in the afternoon tho.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

thats cool, later works, did u get the pics.?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Little update, Say bye bye to the cherokee. Well kinda, Im going to keep the body and maybe run it every once in a while but its time for a new build. Same chassis and running gear for the most part tho I did strip some mounting holes on my R2 so ill be figuring a way to fix that. Iv always been a toyota fanboy, mainly because of all my 1:1 yotas over the years and the fact that the company cares about your yota, they sent me a care package for hitting 200K miles in my runner and again at 300K. stickers and tshirts and junk. anyway its going to be a EXO caged Hilux. Leaning towards the beater trail rig than a nice yota and is Inspired by my 1:1 Runner code name "Deathrunner 1" (you can see deathrunner 2 in the background haha). 330K+ miles, Got wheeled hard every day, Been hyrdo locked 4 times by me maybe more before i got it. and was my daily driver(80+miles) throughout it all until year and a half ago. Just recently It died, not by its own free will tho, It took my buddy draining the oil and holding it wide open untill it locked up.

since I left MN and my yota behind all of my wheeling has been in the 1:10 form so why not stay true to my yota. So far iv ordered some 1.55 wheels and tires and next week will be the body.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

So are you thinking a suv, truck, or truggy..? I checked out those wheels and they are nice. Those are the same ones I want for 1.5.