Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ultra4 style buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

Default Ultra4 style buggy

I got an scx10 kit a while back and wheeled it stock for a bit before I got the itch to build it into something a little more capable. Originally I was going to back half the stock frame and do something a little more truggy like but decided to go full tube frame instead drawing influence from Ultra4/KOH fullsize buggies. Overall I was looking to build something that I could romp on without worry that had a little bit of heft to hopefully make the suspension action a little more realistic.

I retained the stock scx10 skidplate and built the frame keeping all the stock suspension geometry. The frame is made from 3/16 solid cold rolled steel brazed together with bernzomatic brazing rod using an oxy/ace torch setup. Sub-c cells split up into a saddle packs give the truck a little bit of a forward weight bias as well as ~3oz of steel zip tied to the front axle. For now I'm running a tired 27t motor with an old mtroniks esc which leaves a bit to be desired in the low end control department, also the bec power is near non existent. I still need to tidy up the wiring and build some panels, might also do a simple interior but I kinda doubt it.

Enough blabber onto the pics

And heres one of my daily driver because, well, I can

JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Lookin' good. Definitely needs panels though.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks good!
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice tube work!

Next build needs to be a copy of your daily ride
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Both rigs are really nice !!! Nice tube work. I have started gas welding my frames. Not much more effort with really strong frames. I have broken too many brazed joints over time.

I give you credit for taking your daily driver out wheeling. I really beat-up my previous Jeep doing it.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin-Paul View Post
I give you credit for taking your daily driver out wheeling. I really beat-up my previous Jeep doing it.
Well its sas'd on 35's and locked front and rear but I cant really beat on it too much as I still need it to take me to work the next day haha

Hacked up an old T3 stadium truck body to get me by while I pick up some lexan to make some proper panels. Thought it turned out looking pretty decent...?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I am in the middle of the same thing,back halfed it and now want a full tube chassis,just drawing some inspiration on chassis design,looks good,nice work.
diggindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nice tube work, looks cool with that t3 body. Sick str8 fronted explorer!!
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Nice tube work, looks cool with that t3 body. Sick str8 fronted explorer!!
Thanks man, I thought it looked pretty decent at first but the front end started to bug me soooo off it came and some new panels went in its place.

Other than that I took the weights off the front axle, added 3oz of lead to each front wheel and have been wheelin the hell out of it! No real carnage to report other than one cracked joint which was a design flaw and two of the tranny to skid screws backing out which is a little surprising given the weight and amount of cartwheels this thing has taken down hill. I am pretty light on the throttle though when it starts to get bound up.

Some pics of the frame and new panels painted Parma Fascent Turquiose

And the crack. It happened where I cut an inch out of the width of the rear chassis and pinched it together creating a butt joint. It was only a matter of time before it split

Did a quick hack fix to get it back out on the rocks. Drilled out a chunk of 1/4" rod to 3/16" and used it as a sleeve around both sides of the crack and popped a couple center punches in it to hold it all together. Might take it apart someday to fix it right but will probably build a new frame before that happens

Its a fun rig, thanks for lookin

Last edited by JasonM; 10-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

nice build. do you feel the car is more capable with the added weight, or was it better when it had just lexan body and plastic bumpers (ie stock).

cage looks great.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

That looks eerily similar to the proline ax10 bolt on tuber but in metal Nice work though
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
nice build. do you feel the car is more capable with the added weight, or was it better when it had just lexan body and plastic bumpers (ie stock).

cage looks great.

stratton.
I like the way it drives. Feels pretty planted most of the time and really digs in for traction. I would say its an upgrade from the stock scx10 for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
That looks eerily similar to the proline ax10 bolt on tuber but in metal Nice work though
Had to go look it up on their website and yeah it looks close. But I'd also say it looks kinda like the one I built back in 06 or so, wouldn't you?

For what its worth I veeery loosely based the design on a Jimmy's chassis with the tight radius bends and slanted roofline. Otherwise is a basic no frills frame just the way I like em!

Carry on with your regularly scheduled RCC copyright infringement allegations
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well someone has too and it might as well be me But I do realise it is different and it looks great man Maybe get a vendor star and make some money on those Anyway love the set up
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #14

Haha its all in good fun man! Dont know if I'll ever try selling any, there are other way more talented people on this forum that have that market cornered.

In other news this little guys lifespan may be short lived as I'm thinking about going full on comp style with it. Still retaining the 11.5" wheelbase and 1.9s and not worry about meeting any rules, just try to get the thing working as good as I can
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I realize there are But it could be worth a shot and if you do go 1.9 comp get the pit bulls they are the best 1.9 tire I personally have ever used and I was building scalers before kits were available so I've been around the block with tires
Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #16

You wanna buy it?! Never been abused

The flat irons have been treating me well but I keep reading good things about the pitbulls, might have to give them a try. The place I usually wheel is a mix of dirt rocks and rip rap and when the tides low some super slick slime covered rocks that offer nooooo traction