Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Powertank 4Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Powertank 4Runner

Hey Guys, as some of you know, I've always loved old Toyota Pickups and 4Runners. ( so much so in fact I currently own 3 -1:1 Toyota pickups, and a 1:1 84' 4runner..!!) Over the years I've also seen some sick built up projects that just leave a lasting impression in your mind thats hard to get rid of. I ran across a magazine article way back in 2005 that featured Steve Sasaki's "Powertank" 1985 4runner. ( Steve is the president and owner of the real "Powertank" portable air tank company). Ever since reading that mag I've been in love with that truck, there were SO many cool things done to it and to me it just looked perfect. Heres a few pics of the 1:1

There are also SO many talented styrene and tubework guru's on here, that over the past few years theres almost nothing that hasn't been created yet..! I'm still blown away at how this scale "hobby" has taken off into what it has become today. I've become friends with a fellow member on here "Pardonmyn00b" who is one such master talent. He's built me a few project vehicles in the past and his work is absolutely second to none. I had originally asked Rich to build me a scale 4runner a while back and this is what showed up in the mail.

As beautiful a rig as this was, I never really got around to doing anything with it. It just sat in my glass display case begging to be built.

Then in the spring of this past year I got lucky and was able to buy "Pardonmyn00b's" original grey 4runner, and then thought to myself, theres no need to have 2 identical trucks.. Thats when this crazy idea of building a scale "Powertank" 4runner was born.....

I contacted Rich and told him about my ideas of what I wanted and asked if he was onboard. He gladly accepted the challenge and off the truck went back to him for its second transformation.

As much of a sin as it is, he chopped off the 84-88 front fenders he originally made in favor of some replica "All-Pro" Offroad fiberglass fenders. ( same style fenders that are also on "Clampy" ) You can also see he's added the hole for the sunroof.

Next up was the painstaking task of making the upper bed mounted "rock rails" like on the 1:1. I had drawn Rich a pic of exactly what I wanted and he knocked out a homerun..! ( also notice the TINY little hardware used to bolt up the sliders..! )

The real truck has an awesome "Canback" soft top thats also got a custom made roof rack mounted to it. Rich and I talked about a few ideas and concepts and he finally came up with something that would work perfectly and he went to town with it.

Heres the new "Fiberglass" front fenders. Notice how the flare is mounted much higher and wider than a stock Hilux.

More to come shortly.....
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm lookin forward to this. I have always been a fan of the old 4runners. I wish I had the fab skills to build anything like this Good luck man
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
DOOH!!!

This is gunna be good, as your builds always are!!
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys, The only thing I've done so far was build the chassis and axles, all the rest of the credit goes to "Pardonmyn00b"...

OK - Fast forward a few weeks from the last round of pictures and Rich e-mails me and says he has a surprise to show me.. I opened the pics and couldn't believe what I saw..!! Check this out - can we say scale "Can-Back"..!!

I was just then about to ask him if the sides and back window rolled up ( just like on the 1:1) and before I could get it out, I saw these pics next..!!!! At this point I was in complete shock..!

As if that wasn't enough, I also had him whip me up a "stock" style inner rollbar ( so I can mount some scale "Powertanks" on..)

Sorry about the crappy picture but here is the 1:1 rear bumper/ spare tire carrier..

And here is the work of art Rich put together for me.. ( and YES the tire carrier does open..!!)

He also built me an exact matching front bumper like whats on the real deal..

I can't Thank Rich enough for the AWESOME work he has put into this scaler for me.. Now that its back in my possesion Its time to build up a custom interior and get some paint on this thing. Then we can go wheel..!!! More to come soon- Stay tuned.....
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This looks absolutely awesome!!
MICHIGAN CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

speechless can't wait
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Wow, this is going to turn out awesome just like all your other builds. You planning on putting G8 FI's on there to make it look just like the 1:1?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
speechless can't wait
X2 Unreal man. The scale roll up's are crazy cool. I would definitely be in shock at opening those pictures too!
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Wow!!! Insane. Please tell me that you are sticking with the old school TLT axles.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

that looks awesome!!!! I too have a 1st gen runner in the '87 flavor waiting for a SAS. I love these runner builds!!!
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Well look at you mister fancy pants. Just when I think your not building any more you drop this bomb.
Great start Chris. Looking forward to seeing more, keep up the good work.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Is this one going to be a runner,or scale masterpeice?
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CRAWLER View Post
This looks absolutely awesome!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
speechless can't wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxC10 View Post
awsome truck dude
Thanks Guys, Pardonmyn00b did an amazing job with it. Now its my turn to add the interior details and paint..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Wow, this is going to turn out awesome just like all your other builds. You planning on putting G8 FI's on there to make it look just like the 1:1?
Thanks Man. "G8 FI's"..?? you lost me.. LOL what are they..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbcrawling View Post
X2 Unreal man. The scale roll up's are crazy cool. I would definitely be in shock at opening those pictures too!
Hell Yeah, that detail alone will make ALL the difference once the full interior is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Wow!!! Insane. Please tell me that you are sticking with the old school TLT axles.
Thanks - Yup, keeping it "Old School" and sticking with the vintage TLT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ONDFLR View Post
that looks awesome!!!! I too have a 1st gen runner in the '87 flavor waiting for a SAS. I love these runner builds!!!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Well look at you mister fancy pants. Just when I think your not building any more you drop this bomb.
Great start Chris. Looking forward to seeing more, keep up the good work.
LOL- Thanks Bud. Yeah, R/C has been on the back burner for a little while now, but this build has really gotten me back into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
Is this one going to be a runner,or scale masterpeice?
Hopefully BOTH.. This one will be run, just not beat on.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Wow this rig is amazing so far great work
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Thanks Man. "G8 FI's"..?? you lost me.. LOL what are they..?
lol, G8 Flat Irons, since the 1:1 is running KM2's

Edit: Nevermind, they're krawlers, they looked like KM2's with the way I had my laptop angled. Still going to turn out awesome though.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Powertank 4Runner

I know that this thread is outdated but I will like to see the finished work on the Power Tank 4Runner. Did you paint it red like 1.1 yet? Inquiring minds want to know.
metallocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Ask and you shall recieve..!!

Well I FINALLY had some build time over the past week to get ALOT done on this rig ( its been on the back burner for WAYY too long now..!!).

The first order of business was to make it driveable. I installed a Hitech 645mg steering servo, Integy 45 turn lathe motor, and a spare Duratrax ESC I had been saving. Next up was to install some shocks. I used some turned down aluminum tlt shocks on the front and some stock tlt units in the rear ( for now).

Then it was time to begin adding the details that should make this truck really stand out. I first painted the beadlock trim rings like on the 1:1. I then also added the ability to air the tires back up after a hard day of wheelin' - I am talking about none other than the scale POWERTANK of course..!!!!

Next up was the addition of an opening tinted sunroof ( which is the same thing I did on "Clampy" )

I then went on to add some scale details to the front tube bumper ( added orange directional lenses, aluminum hawse fairlead, "Warn" winch and painted aluminum tow hook). I also added the stone chip guards on the rear wheel wells like on the 1:1.

I also ordered up another 1.9" RC4WD aluminum beadlock rim, and then color matched it so now we now have the "correct" spare to match the rest of the wheels on the truck.

Heres a few more outdoor shots before its ready for the paint booth.

And this last shot was taken earlier tonight. Tomorrow morning I will add the final painting details to the outside of the body, then I can add the windows and start on the custom interior. Pics will follow soon after, stay tuned..!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Ohhhhh yeah!!!!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

hell yeah!

love a good yota!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Wow , very nice work ! ! ! . Your builds always amaze me . Looking forward to seeing this finished .
INFERNAL is offline   Reply With Quote