Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: TLT with TTB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default TLT with TTB

Yep, you read it right. As in Twin Traction Beam, Ford's funky split solid axle. Why? Because it's hard to do. There sure isn't any advantage from a performance standpoint, but since I'm putting a Blackfoot body on this, I wanted a suspension under it that would be true to form, and TTB seemed to be the way to go.

I've started with an aluminum ladder frame using the bottom of TLT side plates as link mounts. The rear axle will be leaf-sprung. Both axles will be mounted upside-down to accommodate the swap over to a driver's side pumpkin on the TTB, which means I'll have to reverse the rotation of the motor.

The TLT axle has been narrowed 1/2 inch on the left (shown glued in the mockup shot, it will have an aluminum plate spanning the joint for reinforcement) and uses a Tamiya Mini Cooper dogbone and a TLT outdrive on a chopped axle shaft. The swingin' side gets an HPI 50mm dogbone, which had to be trimmed to fit inside the TLT drive cup. Both axle halves will get hockey-stick shaped brackets that attach the axles to the frame. The left side will also get some spacers so it doesn't bind when the two halves articulate.

Since it's a scaler, it won't need a whole lot of travel. I'm using Mini LST springs; at least I think that's what they are. I found 'em in my spring box. They're short and soft. If I go for ultimate scale, I'll pop for a set of Mini-T shocks (like TLT shocks ain't leaky enough)

blah, blah, blah, here's the pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by microgoat; 06-07-2006 at 08:53 PM.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Goat you are Officially king of building the most original trucks I have ever scene! I look forward to seeing this build.

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I knew you were crazy but this just proves it!
How wide is the spring you are using? it looks like it will be a little tight for an A-arm and the coil to mount on the pumpkin side.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That is going to be awesome man. I can't wait to see it built
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Cool, keep the pics coming.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

I figure if it really sucks on the R/C, then it's pretty scale!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
Goat you are Officially king of building the most original trucks I have ever scene! I look forward to seeing this build.

Mike
2ND that, this guy is on fire with ideas.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Wow, that's alot of ongoing "unique" projects.

Nice job.

This one will be fun to watch............hopefully it gets further then the Stunimog. ;)
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Talking

Good idea Micro',I'll be checkin up on this build.I love how your brain works!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Don't give up on the 'Mog just yet. Just 'cuz I'm not posting doesn't mean there isn't a lot of behind-the scenes work going on. And you can all reap the benefits. Yes, I'm a big, fat tease. Stay tuned. If you miss it, you're not paying attention, or you're living in a cave with Osama Bin Laden.

The tow truck, however, needs a major cash infusion in order to get the 6-channel radio, micro speed control and about 300 other little details required to finish it. But the hard part is done.

All this thing needs is some aluminum and some time, and I've got a little of both, so we'll see what happens here shortly. Most of the bits are already worked out in my head, I just need to make the stuff and see if it works like I think it will.

Eee Pee, Yeah, performance wasn't a top priority with this build .

Slugz, the A-arm will be sleeved 4-40 rod going thru the outer set of holes, mounted rigid to the axle like the 1:1 radius arms, and the springs will sit right on top of the knuckles, since the frame is so wide.

Last edited by microgoat; 05-28-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Why do you have a drive cup pushed up against the ring gear the right side? On the 1:1 the diff moves up and down as part of the traction beam.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I dont even know what the hell is going on with this thing. Why would anybody conceive such a convoluded axlish thing? Did Ford just tell a designer to have at it? WTF!!

Looks like a very interesting build though. It surely wont be the run of the mill.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Cole, i'm only using the dogbone axle on that side because it's shorter. This axle will work just like a TTB, with all the unsprung weight of the real thing. I'd like to find a dogbone that's an RCH shorter than a Mini Cooper's, but no such luck. Might be time to invest in a MAPP torch and shorten the things to avoid binding at full lock.

John, I have no idea. Maybe somebody dropped a solid axle and had a brainstorm. But they sold a bazillion of 'em, and I've never seen one in scale, so what the hell.

And just to clarify, all the hard work behind the scenes I alluded to earlier on the Mog, is being done by someone else. All I did was come up with an idea, and poke a little bit.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I see micro. That is going to be hard getting the driveshaft through the passanger side arm.

John this is fords IFS setup. With the strength of a solid axle and close to ifs ride quality. This suspension actually works really well.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

TTB has its lovers and its haters. I've never been a fan, but hey, it's a Ford, and I'm a Blue Oval guy so I gotta go with it.

Here's some progress. And before you guys ask, the tires are from a Wild Ceptor (Tamiya Boy's 4WD series kit) I scored NIB on the Bay for $30 shipped. There's more out there, and the rest of the Ceptor will become, of all things, a working Zamboni. I recycle everything, and what else are you going to do with a 4x4 with solid suspension?

The wheels I made from TLT outer rims and HPI Vintage centers.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

That axle is going to be so freakin cool, but if anything like a real TTB the tires are going to cup really $#^%ing bad with any kind of lift.
HaPtOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

A little progress this morning: got both sides hung. I still need to add bushings for the passenger side pivot, but most of the TTB work is done. There's still a bit of cleanup, plate straightening, and dogbone-spring issues to work out, but the major work is done.

The front end has about 3/4 inch total travel per side. Since this is a 1/12 scale rig, that works out to 8 inches, which seems about right for a TTB. Anyone know for sure? That could go down once the springs are added.

Still need to add the steering links. I'm gonna try to duplicate the Ford's tie rod while I'm at it
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Here's a better pic, showing the TTB at ride height (full droop). Note that the driveshafts are close to level, and there's room for compression travel. This is actually going to work.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
MODERATOR™

Incredible Stu! Good job man.

It even has the terrible camber curve, just like the real thing.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

looks good....about the travel and flex thing....i have seen some TTB's that flex as good as a solid axle....i can post a pic if you would like
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote