Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: pozmans d90 pickup (pic heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default pozmans d90 pickup (pic heavy)

hi guys, been lurking around the forum for a while now, but after watching and reading all these great builds you guys are doing i thought i had to get in on the action

since this is my first post, a little introduction is in order. my names paul, im from mornigton peninsula in Australia, am into 1:1 4wd's and cars, although my cruiser isn't a wild as this d90 will be (hard to get away with the fun stuff here) and there's not that much rock crawling around here, its more winch challenge style stuff

anyway, on with the build

bought myself a near new scx10 as it seamed to be what most are building off and a fleabay d90 shell

was originally going to build a wagon but it really felt i was stepping outside the box enough so i thought i try cutting it into a ute

quickly cut the flares and the roof off and tried it on the chassis

obviously needs the wheelbase shortened (i expected it would) but was really surprised how small the flat irons were under it, i wanted to run the simex look alikes but thought they would be too small, so ordered the rc4wd boggers, and got some xvd's aswell

didnt really like the look of just cutting the back of and gluing the back straight on, so i thought id try to make the back of the cab like the 1:1 defenders

this is my first go at styrene, some of you guys are crazy at it, i cut the roof windows up and re sized them to fit as the corner glass

made new rear window frame

and extended the rain gutter strip

re sized the side glass to fit the rear window

started making the roof (bending this stuff is hard work)

also filled the sunroof

Last edited by pozman; 03-17-2012 at 07:54 AM.
pozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: pozmans d90 pickup

and finally filled the corners and finished the roof, it will need some filler but very happy with how it came out

boggers next to the flat iron

used the shorter links that came with the scx10 to start getting the wb right

stripped down

new links on

now this is what im having issues with, i shortened the bump stops in the shocks and its got massive flex, plus these tyres are way bigger than i was expecting, its going to be a mission to get these tyres and travel under the defender

may have to truggy it but im not keen as i cant find straight 3/16 tubing here, it all comes in rolls and i have to straighten it myself, not keen on going solid because of the weight, will see how i go

paul
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: pozmans d90 pickup (pic heavy)

looking good pozman, please to meet you and welcome gota love the d90 shell ,what colour are you thinking?
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

subscribed! Are you keeping the axial trans and d90 interior? Interested in seeing how this comes out!
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: pozmans d90 pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozman View Post
now this is what im having issues with, i shortened the bump stops in the shocks and its got massive flex, plus these tyres are way bigger than i was expecting, its going to be a mission to get these tyres and travel under the defender

What if you run the suspension as droop? That way The tires won't travel up into the body just drop down. I had to set my D90 up so far with droop suspension to get the right look.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

It looks great so far withthe bodywork. The flex photo sure looks flexy.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
looking good pozman, please to meet you and welcome gota love the d90 shell ,what colour are you thinking?
thanks mate, been having trouble deciding on colours, not sure weather to go something original d90 or go bright like orange, even the olive drab could work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
subscribed! Are you keeping the axial trans and d90 interior? Interested in seeing how this comes out!
yeah for the moment i think i will, was tempted to run the axial trans up front and run the killer transfer as id love an atlas myself, but trying to keep the budget tight (way too easy to get over broad here)

initial fitting and measurements look like the spur gear will sit up nicely where the seats are with a few minor mods and maybe some trans tunnel widening on the passenger side for the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
What if you run the suspension as droop? That way The tires won't travel up into the body just drop down. I had to set my D90 up so far with droop suspension to get the right look.
forgot about this, silly me, yeah things might not be so bad, was really worried how high it all looked when the body sat on, but its all so light atm, thanks for easing my mind, still needs a fairly big cut for wheels, i have started on the back but forgot to get photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin-Paul View Post
It looks great so far withthe bodywork. The flex photo sure looks flexy.
thanks mate, yeah i was really surprised with how much it got

paul
Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks real nice great start!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the weatherd look is a winner every time but then i havent seen many orange ones either i was thinking along the bowler tomcat style,one thing that iv noticed on lots of d90 builds and as far as im aware no one has mentioned it so i thaught i would ,
on the modern d90 rear body there spot welds in place of rivets, but they are on the hard plastic dont know if im being overally anal or not it would bug me thats all lol,
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotboy View Post
Looks real nice great start!
thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
the weatherd look is a winner every time but then i havent seen many orange ones either i was thinking along the bowler tomcat style,one thing that iv noticed on lots of d90 builds and as far as im aware no one has mentioned it so i thaught i would ,
on the modern d90 rear body there spot welds in place of rivets, but they are on the hard plastic dont know if im being overally anal or not it would bug me thats all lol,

mmm might have to sand them off, will make it easier when come time to paint anyway, thanks for the tip

i was going to paint under coat with a red oxide primer so that it look like it was rusting when it had been rashed up, but forgot they were ally bodies

think i ran into a problem late night, im running hi steer knuckles and am going to run a bell-crank style steering box, as the drag link looks more scale, and should help with bump steer with better angle on the link aswell, but as its got some much flex the link will hit the chassis (typical hi steer issue on 1:1 too) might have to get a bit tricky with it
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

started on the exo cage tonight while i try figure out how i cut the front and mount the body

this is the front windshield hoop, ive been notching the ends of the tubes, its great for holding the tubes where they need to be but im not getting the great welds as im only using mapp gas

drilled holes for the tubes to go through but ill have to move them back as it sits too far away from the windscreen

main hoop and bracing is done, really happy with how it came out

start of the cage sitting on the body, body's not quite in the right spot but give the idea

this is the shape im going for with the rear guards, but will have to cut more out of the top to handle the flex

thought i might show you the bender i made too, tried to get the clr about the same as the rules for 1:1 are, its a tad small but very close

hopefully have some more for you tomorrow

paul
Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Great work Poz I did one and took the cheap and easy route of a flat back window. The curved looks soo much better. I did a mock up with the 1.9 Boggers when I first got the body. I can't believe you almost have them fit and working. It doesn't look bad the way you cut the fenders. I like it I ended up going the Simex route with some flares from SDI in Spain. The flexy rubber ones.

I still have a complete body that is painted olive drab. It looks pretty good in that color. My current is Yellow though and I bought orange and yellow as I couldn't decide while at the store. Ended up going with the yellow. I like the bright color for a modded Defender and the plainer flatter color for more stock looking defenders.

Keep it up, I will be enjoying this build.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

looks sweet! what electronics are you going to run?
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys

All axial electronics ATM. But think I will be going for a dx3e so I can run a winch

Probably going hitec 5645 for steering and run the ax-2 as the winch

Will the 5645 be alright or should I go bigger?

Thanks paul
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

yeah mate, i think by the time shes done it wont have a choise but be in droop cos of the weight hahah

bit of an update, got a fair bit done over last couple of days

stated on the tub floor so i could get it sitting how i wanted

start of scrub/side rails

body sitting in right spot and so flex shots

bit more work on the cage

side rails on

start of the front bar

Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

more shots with cage on

main frame of the cage done, still needs rear supports but wont do them till the tub is complete

cage on body

bit more work on front bar work

got the day off tomorrow so will hopefully get some time to finish the front bar and the sliders

was going to run an extra bar out for the sliders but the body is so wide it would nearly come out to the width of the tyres which i dont really like the idea of so will have to be happy with them the way they are

thanks

paul
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

well i have been thinking of this build since I saw Warpigs D90 and of course Justin Art's, and my hero Pardonmynoob's....I was sitting staring at my ugly d90 body and had a itch to do some styrene today.

Upon my reasearch that is when I came across your work. The implementation of of the rear windows took me a second to figure out and then i said aloud "Brilliant!!!"

thanks for the tips for my progression and keep up the build. Great stuff!!!

Paul
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I dig the orange idea...

tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
well i have been thinking of this build since I saw Warpigs D90 and of course Justin Art's, and my hero Pardonmynoob's....I was sitting staring at my ugly d90 body and had a itch to do some styrene today.

Upon my reasearch that is when I came across your work. The implementation of of the rear windows took me a second to figure out and then i said aloud "Brilliant!!!"

thanks for the tips for my progression and keep up the build. Great stuff!!!

Paul
cheers mate, yeah pardonmynoobs and justinart24s were the main inspiration for going ute chop on mine, there both ace cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
I dig the orange idea...

link not working, but i couldnt end up bringing myself to go orange
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

alright update time, been way too long, i been on holidays and stuff so i only just got back into it

i went back to the bell crank idea for steering, i just could not get the servo into a spot where it cleared everthing

here the start of the steering box, i cut and shaped it from 10mm solid square, running 6mm shaft in some bushes

the bottom arm i'm using one of the heavy duty servo arms on a basic key way style end of the shaft

from the top, the upper arm i made from 3mm strap, also fitted the only axial battery plate in as low as possible to mount the servos on

more shots of steering

servos mounted, winch is an axial the steering is a hitec 7954sh

front bar work all done, made my own hook a hawse for now, will see how they work out, winch rope i made from two strands of high strength canvas twine that i braided/twisted together

underneath shot of sliders and that, all the links are all thread with 3/16 ally tube on them

now, colour, i ended up going for an almost stock colour, its a disco colour, and only ever released on defender for some special edition or something

it called nara bronze, and i still wasnt sure if i should have went with it until i saw it on the body, but really glad i went with it

and body on the chassis, still have to paint the exo but new to finish a few other bits on it first

really happy with how its sitting now, sits up a bit in the rear but should be fine, its still not at full weight there either, waiting for post to arrive with new battery and electronics

decided to go with a 3s lipo for power, running the hitec servo off a 7.2v bec and the rest off a 6v

still going to run the axial esc and motor for now

cheers paul

pozmans d90 pickup (pic heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
41 willys pickup? kdrodworks316 Paint and Body 12 02-22-2013 11:52 PM
Pajero Pickup! igbandy 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 08-15-2011 04:15 PM
Pajero Pickup Nitro_Geezer_UK 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 09-07-2009 10:24 PM