Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Frame mounted servo question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Frame mounted servo question.

Think I originally posted this in the wrong section, 1.9 seems more of a better choice for this question.

I read that if I mount the servo to the frame I'll get extra flex, but when I tried it the arm that connects to the steering knuckle from servo arm still hits the frame and no change has been made by my observance. Did I read wrong or are you supposed to get some extra clearance?
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Frame mounted servo question.

It's really just for scale appearance, not extra flex. What's this on anyways a scx10? What kit are you using? And maybe some pictures would help.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

CMS...chassis mounted servo will not give you more flex. If you have an axial, the best steering you're going to get is servo on the axle. For scale looks, a cms is much better, but you have to use a panhard setup (search how that works) with a three link. It's pretty complicated, and can't explain it all tonight. Try searching these issues and see what you come up with.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

it is a matter of how you set it up, and for the record i don't use a pan hard/3 link. it will not improve your flex, in fact it could hamper it some. As stated before, it is more of a scale feature, with that said, i get full steering throw and articulation on my rig with CMS. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep your rod ends parallel to the tie rod and the drop link should be inline with the tie rod. If you do use a pan hard, you need to make sure that the pivot points line up with the connecting points on the drop link other wise when the system moves it could bind.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
it is a matter of how you set it up, and for the record i don't use a pan hard/3 link. it will not improve your flex, in fact it could hamper it some. As stated before, it is more of a scale feature, with that said, i get full steering throw and articulation on my rig with CMS. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep your rod ends parallel to the tie rod and the drop link should be inline with the tie rod. If you do use a pan hard, you need to make sure that the pivot points line up with the connecting points on the drop link other wise when the system moves it could bind.
Three link will improve you flex to a point and is less bind due to less triangulation on upper link... This is why you need panhard / trackbar or steering will move axle under rig upon steering. Tie rod and panhard/ trackbar need to run the same angle at same length. If they fail to be same length and same angle they will not bind they will create what is known as bump steer. Basically as suspension cycles the steering will turn a bit. Upon flex the steering will turn a bit and will either make your steering turn more or less under this circumstance. Do a search on here or the net and you will find many pics and info on the subject of panhards/ trackbars and bump steer.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

A front 3-link system will minimize or stop bump-steering. It does not improve articulation.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

^^^ thats funny because i run a 4-link setup with no pan-hard bar, and it has no bump steer... but if you have droop, tie the axle down to where you want your ride height to be, and your golden
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

sorry, I'm running the stock axial 4-link truss.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I went CMS for the scale look and to keep my servo out of the water. 3-link with a panhard was a must because I was getting more chassis push then steering in some cases.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Frame mounted servo question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frame mounted servo StigAre Axial SCX-10 15 03-21-2011 11:00 PM
Need help frame mounted servo gordy Paint and Body 2 12-03-2010 08:16 PM
Frame mounted servo for MRC? fbuonpensiero Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 01-11-2010 05:12 PM
Frame mounted steering servo? slobert 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 09-02-2008 11:45 PM
K2-3L/S frame mounted steering servo... eric113 General Scale Talk 8 05-19-2007 01:18 PM