Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Chevy Crew Cab Dually

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "Bigger in Texas" Chevy Crew Cab Dually

I have been wanting to build a replica of my truck for a while now. While I was looking online for some wheels I came across the RC4wd Double Trouble dually wheels and decided instead to make it a dually.

I am starting with a CC01 chassis, Rc4wd Double Trouble wheels, Dirt Grabber tires, New bright Silverado body, and rc4wd Dual motor gearbox. I am going to be doing my best to get this built. I have no worries about the body, it will just take a while, but with the chassis... Not too sure. I want to keep the indy front and 4wd but integrate the rc4wd dual motor gearbox to add a bunch of torque and slow this thing down a bit. The front is also a bit narrow so I ordered some TL-01B arms and driveshafts. I have read they can fit the CC01 and widen it a bit, so we will see how much that does. Worst case scenario, I ditch the 4wd and make custom length arms and directly hook the gearbox up the rear driveshaft. I have a couple ideas and I'll deal with that when I get there. But for now I got my tires glued on to get me hyped up for this, and then I began sanding the stickers off the body, and then cutting the cab to add some more doors.

This chassis will need to get really stretched!

And this is more or less how long it will be.

I think I got my work cut out for me on this one!

Last edited by makaveliks; 01-09-2013 at 08:31 PM.
makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default cab stretch

I still had a couple hours before my wife got home and I won't have time for this for a couple days or a week, so I wanted to get some more done.

I measured my truck to get the proper length of the back doors and then squared up the cab and cemented in the basic structure to hold it together. I also layered up the roof to the proper thickness and began filling the gaps. Need to trim it and start the doors next! Also measured the bed, and I need to add 2 and half inches to the front of it for the long bed! This sucker is going to be looong! The cab alone is now as long as the CC01 chassis!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Chevy Crew Cab Dually

looks like a good start, although another cab would've mad for less work and quicker build time. keep it up!
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

True, but that's a good chunk of change for 2 extra doors. I got 3 different thickness 40" x 72" sheets for 30$... That'll do this and a ton of other projects for half the price I would've spent for those 2 extra doors.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Can't wait for more progress, that truck will be huge! Do you plan to make it a tow rig or just a stand alone truck?
KryptoniteKummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It will be a tow rig. I have a 1/10 20' x 8' flatbed car hauler it will be pulling.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Doors

Today I started the doors. I still need to finish smoothing out the roof. After laying 6 layers of thin styrene together at once they seemed to sag and flatten out a bit. I will have to lay up some more to get it contoured as it should be. But the doors were tough. I used .060" styrene, heated it and contoured it to match the body curve. Then I went out to my truck and drew some window openings and then cut them out. Since on the crew cab the rear door is straight up the rear edge I had to fill and smooth the rear pillars also. I sanded off the front door trim since that is not on the HD work trucks. Then I had to add the angled bit along the bottom edge of the window opening. It's tough work for a styrene beginner! I think it's turning out pretty good though. I filled my tiny gaps, and tomorrow I will trim the scraps and finish smoothing the doors, add handles, and depending on how fast things go I may get to the roof and hood. The hood needs the cowl raised which should be fairly easy, but then I will have to rework the grill also to be proper for the HD. The white triangle on the passenger door is a filler piece I had to make. This body was used and abused previously!

And just for laughs, here's the body with the bed still not stretched sitting on the CC01 chassis!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Looks pretty good man. Getting that roof to bow again might prove to be a little difficult. If all else fails, cut the whole roof out and replace it with one solid piece. Just my 0.02
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tip Hoosierdady. I may end up doing that. The first time I thought it would be too hard to curve the thick styrene properly, but after doing the doors I think that may be the easiest fix. It'll either be that or lay up more thin pieces in steps kinda like a pyramid to get the shape back and then block sand the roof smooth. That's the way I smoothed out the rear pillars. We will see which way I feel like doing when I get back to it. That's a lot of sanding, but with some rough paper it does go rather quick.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #10

Definitely subscribed on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TwistedLs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

damn dude, you nailed that crew cab extenstion!!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

come on 8ft bed!!!
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Subscribed to this one, I've wanted to crew cab the one I have sitting here for a while now just didn't want to buy another body, nice work on the stretch
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default fixed roof and began hood

Well today I fixed the roof and started my hood. First for the roof, I built up multiple different size layers of thin styrene and then sanded them smooth. There were still some small seems so I topped it off with 1 final thin layer larger than the rest, then I feathered the edges and blocked it smooth and touched up the roof lines. It will still the formed stiffeners, but this was good for today. It is now straight. Took about 2 hours.

Then I started the hood. The HD hood has a taller cowl, the center is flatter and not as curved, and the corners are more square on it. So I started laying up .020" styrene in different areas and sanding smooth to get the desired shape and a taller cowl. Once I was happy with the shape I added a .060" single layer over the entire area to get the final height. The edges still need smoothed, and the cuts on the inside of the cowls is too deep, so that will require some filling but the hard part is done. Took about 4.5 hours of cutting, sanding, cementing, and smoking outside looking at my hood.

Tomorrow is back to work for me so progress will slow a bit. Only 2 more HUGE changes for this body. 1st, I will need to drop the center of the bumper, stretch the end caps, smooth out the fog lights, and then I can make my larger HD grill. The 2nd huge change will be the bed sides. That will take some time. Then I will do small details last. I'll so all my final smoothing before details so it's easier to sand, but that will wait until I get all the major changes done.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
RCC Addict

thats nice i mite need to make one of these to match my silverado
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Fan of wheelspeed

VERY nice work there. That turned out great man. Love the hood too. Looks dead on like a HD
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
RCC Addict

subbed! very cool start!
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

That hood looks soo legit! Your body work skills are awesome!
KryptoniteKummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Very nice!
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Finally.......... the ford dually guys have some bowtie competition

Looks sweet
z71baja is offline   Reply With Quote