Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tonka Dump Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tonka Dump Truck

This is my first take a scale type build. The inspiration for this came from COJeepin. I've not been all that interested in the scaler scene, but after he came up with this idea, I had to do it.

My goal was to resue existing spare parts I had laying around, and keep it cheap. So I started with a new Truck from Wal-Mart, and an old Mixer MRC chassis. The wheelbase matched exactly, so it wasn't that tough to stuff the chassis into the belly of the truck.

For a motor, I knew I needed something torquey, so I ordered a 45 turn one of these: Promax Cobalt Motors It's the highest wind 380 size motor I could find.

For an ESC, I'm using an EVX-2, which I know is overkill. But hey, it's waterproof and wasn't serving any purpose sitting on the shelf.

Wheels are stock Losi MRC, and the tires are Rock Claws on Trencher sidewalls that put them at about 4.5" tall. The size is right, but I know the look is not very "scale" for a dump truck. Any suggestions for something that would look better?

It takes a lot of spring to keep this HEAVY thing from flopping around, and as such, it sits a little high. I may take the shocks apart and limit them to about half travel to improve the look.

The ultimate would be to also make the bed dump. I'm thinking about a screw drive, but I'm not sure I have room for it. Still thinking..

Here's some pics:

monsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tonka Dump Truck

See - I need one of these but about 3times the size. Yard work - cake! Hauling crawlers around - Cake! Cleaning up after my kid - Priceless...
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonka Dump Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dodge dump truck rcjeepbuilder Multi Axle Rigs 64 11-15-2012 06:25 PM
My scorpion dump truck tourregdriver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 12-05-2007 02:06 PM