Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Little Toyota Trail truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Little Toyota Trail truck

My son Liam, who will be 9 in September has been showing a TON of interest in building a kit. He said he didn't care what kit, he just wants to build

We warmed up by tearing down a Vintage Tamiya Grasshopper, just so he could get the feel of working with small parts and tools together. He's a Lego fanatic so the parts alone weren't a problem. The body work will be all me, but the wrenches will be mostly Liam.

This leads me to the general outline of our build.

We've been busting our butts down at the shop on the new Seacoast Scale Expedition Society scaler course. Since I'm in charge of the whole thing I get to steer it towards true scale stuff but it's been interesting trying to make it appeal to all walks of crawlers. We've done well so far I think. I've incorporated a few sections of trail that I'd run throughout New England into the course. One is the first obstacle on Old Florida Road, on the Mohawk Trail in Charlmont MA. It's called the Skewer and has humbled many a cocky rock jock It's been doing the same for me on a 1:10 scale

Anyhow, there are some obstacles on the course that have serious lines as well and this Toyota needs to be able to tackle them...in a scale fashion ;)

The other night at work I took some time to pull the motor, tranny, t-case and axles apart and fill them with White lithium grease. Huge tip of the hat to Chris@Generis for changing my method here. I always used Park Tools Synthetic bearing grease (it's what we used at the bike shop for bottom bracket and wheel bearings etc) It's always been great, but I like how white lithium resists going plastic in the cold weather.

While doing that I mounted up some TSL SX's on Axial 8 hole wheels with some MTHead rings. Hopefully my McMaster Carr order arrives soon with the button head hardware for the rings and the dummy holes. I'm really stoked to be running these tires again. It's been a long while and I love the performance and the scale look. The other key mod is the Chino63 Military wrap Leaf packs. I'd run these on my first TF2 and Loved them. Unfortunately they've been out of stock since last Oct and no one seams to know when he'll be building more . I lucked out and paypaled a fella here on RCC to pull them off of a roller he was selling.

Since the truck will be wheeling hard it won't have my standard retro paint/stripe thing going. Thinking of this as more of a purpose built wheeler that would be street legal, but likely be trailered to the runs.

I finally broke out the airbrush. I've had it a few months but just haven't had the vas deferens to lay down some paint. Figured I'd start with the primer. Tamiya Flat Base. What a great tool! I monkeyed around with Paint/Thinner ratios and found what worked and shot the lil truck.

Then I Martin Shorted my bed.

More to come as we wrench away!

Last edited by tozrovr; 07-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Little Toyota Trail truck

what do u use to keep the bed together after u cut it thanks
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I use Oatey Pvc/ABS plumbing cement.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
I use Oatey Pvc/ABS plumbing cement.
Best trick out there! Test it...try it. Thin coats. It sands nicely.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Few pics from the shakedown run from when we were on vacation last week!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

We're back from Vacation and got the Chino Leaf packs mounted up. Stole down to the crawling course and gave a few lines a shot. Did Very well. Most of my TF2's ran the 1.55 Rock Stompers. A great looking tire but one that lacks the grip of the new stuff out there. Tbe TSL SX's really make this truck a beast!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Father son bonding time? or an excuse to build another rig? HAHA! Yota looks freakin great! Really diggin that dismount from the suspension bridge!
bird8oy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

that is exactly the kind of Toyota you would see out on the trail... nice work man
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Had a great day Saturday with the Lil' Truck!

Last edited by tozrovr; 08-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Little Toyota Trail truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
83 Toyota raccoon hunting truck turned trail rig salmonfacesalad 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 15 05-04-2013 09:46 PM
Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho truck RTR doing steep hill climb RC Toyota Tacoma 4x4 at Seg boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 02-25-2013 09:07 AM
Toyota Fj... Truck! KRAWLR4life 1.9 Scale Rigs 123 12-28-2007 01:22 AM
Toyota Trail Truck TwistedCreations 2.2 Scale Rigs 125 01-01-2007 01:26 PM