Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: jebster's pinzgauer with pto trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default jebster's pinzgauer with pto trailer

Decided to tackle another project. I wanted a unique rig with a little something extra. Came across pics of a pinzgauer and knew that was what I had to have. Got in touch with Dready: body check (he did a great job!). The little something extra is going to be a pto trailer (see this thread for thoughts: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...ler-build.html).

Only just getting start but have a collection of parts waiting to go. This thread my move slow but I usually finish what I started.

A couple teaser pics.
Attached Images

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: jebster's pinzgauer with pto trailer

Now this is quite an exciting thread. I've been wanting to build a Pinz for so long, just never get round to it. I'm super interested in the motor/gearbox in the rear. Something I don't think many people have done yet...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
Now this is quite an exciting thread. I've been wanting to build a Pinz for so long, just never get round to it. I'm super interested in the motor/gearbox in the rear. Something I don't think many people have done yet...
thanks. i'm looking forward to getting this moving forward myself. the last major pieces i need to collect are the axles.

the gearbox in the rear just happens to be the best place for my setup. using the creeper gearbox with dig will allow me to either freewheel or drive the output to the trailer axle.

the most complicated part of this build is going to be the connection of the trailer to the truck. i have some ideas based on research i've done but it probably require a lot of custom machining work.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not much happening yet. Still trying to find some axles so I can start sizing up ride height and tranny placement.
In the mean time I got out my box of straws and started mocking up the exo cage I plan on building with brake line. It will have some addition corner tubes for bracing but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Taking a long time on this because I don't have much free time but progress is being made. Got the creeper tranny with dig mounted in the rest at like I wanted and the driveshaft that will go through the bumper for the trailer PTO works good. Got the electronics installed and it is operational.
Started my exocage which is coming together nicely but has a long way to go.

Still thinking about how to run a stub axle through the rear bumper that the trailer driveshaft can connect/disconnect from. Then I need to decide on what I want the trailer to look like.

A few pics of progress.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

nice rig jeb !!! gonna have to watch this one for sure

great idea for the pto using the creeper tranny to drive everything ( may have to steal this idea to build a pto for another project )
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm a sucker for square bodies. Nice one sir. Built myself a c303 a few years ago. Eager to see more.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i appreciate the feedback. when i do get to work on this i enjoy it.

question for others out there about shocks.

this is my first leaf spring rig and i'm just not happy with the scale shocks. leaves too much bounce in the suspension since they really don't hold oil. what alternatives would people recommend? i was thinking about the 80mm gmade g-transition shocks. just want something with better dampening.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i appreciate the feedback. when i do get to work on this i enjoy it.

question for others out there about shocks.

this is my first leaf spring rig and i'm just not happy with the scale shocks. leaves too much bounce in the suspension since they really don't hold oil. what alternatives would people recommend? i was thinking about the 80mm gmade g-transition shocks. just want something with better dampening.
You'll find that those shocks are way out of scale. Have you tried taking the smaller helper leafs out first?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, that aren't too scale. Taking the helpers out would soften the spring but I'm worried that will impact ride height.
Any other shock recommendations? Something that is 80mm and is a good dampener, i.e. holds oil well?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Getting close to finishing up the cage work. Front bumper with my version of a stinger and winch mount, incorporated a ladder in the side and started a top storage rack. I am looking for opinions on the storage rack floor. I have two different sized mesh I could use. I'm leaning towards the thicker material (leaning against the side).

A few updated pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Build is looking great I would go with the smaller mesh myself as I think it looks better.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
Build is looking great I would go with the smaller mesh myself as I think it looks better.
After looking at it some more I think I changed my mind too. The finer mesh has a better look. Only issue is I don't think I have enough for the entire rack. :-(
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have been making some progress. Have the cage work almost finished up. It all needs to been cleaned up then painted. Added some brackets for mounting a light bar too.

I started working the PTO shaft through the rear bumper. The basics are there but I need to figure out how I'm going to fan up the hitch mechanism. I have ideas, just a question on whether or not I have the tooling.

And now for a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Worked out the hitch. I saw full sized equivalent of my design. The purpose is to have the stress of a trailer pushing and tugging transferred to the two universals next to the pass through driveshaft. You don't want the spinning driveshaft to also be your main connection point. So I used some delrin blocks and heavy aluminum plate to craft something up. Worked out sweet. It limits movement so that you don't damage the driveshaft universal (side delrin blocks act as stops) while giving full side-to-side and up-and-down movement.

I also started on the trailer. Just roughed up for now. Not sure what kind of trailer I'm going to make but I'm open to suggestions.

Some pics of my progress.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Drill the trailer rails so I could bolt up the leaf shackles. The trailer was riding too high so I put the axle on top of the leafs. That got me the correct ride height plus improved the drive shaft angle (and I made up a driveshaft of the correct length). Now to start laying out the trailer body.

A couple more pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Was searching for some trailer pics for ideas and found a few. Not sure I have the skills to make them buy was looking for opinions.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Saw a suggestion in another thread to use a magazine holder made of mesh to make the bottom of my roof rack. A quick trip to target, a little cutting with a shears and I'm all set. Looks pretty good. Will be better once everything is cleaned and painted.

Still planning out the trailer so no progress on that yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 12-02-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Had some time to work on the trailer. Used some nylon blocks I had around and aluminum to frame everything up. Not too heavy but pretty strong. Got the general structure laid out. Needs shocks, fenders and then some styrene wrapped around everything. I plan on adding some metal tubing around the lower frame for protection and a storage rack on top. More to go but it is getting there.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Wow great build!! The trailer is fantastic and your build style is very unique.
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

jebster's pinzgauer with pto trailer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone done a PTO?? S-Dog General Scale Talk 10 04-06-2014 04:36 PM
Volvo Laplander with PTO driven trailer build Fotovalpen Chit Chat 24 04-06-2014 04:08 PM
jebster's trailer jebster Scale Accessories 19 02-06-2014 07:14 PM
2-speed tranny with PTO! microgoat General Scale Talk 31 12-26-2012 02:45 PM
PTO Winch w/Rolling Fairlead sweli Scale Accessories 37 03-24-2011 04:36 AM