Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 4 door Hilux build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 4 door Hilux build

So I decided to embark on my very first body build, I decided on a 4 door Hilux, not a lot of those floating around and I already had one Hilux body so why not. This is my very first build of body work and joining so it's not the best craftsmanship you will see but I'm giving it my best, beware, ha. I use Tenax 7R plastic welder to bond the plastic together.

In this picture group I have the bonding finished and made brackets for the drip rail, next up, bondo! More pictures to come.

This is how my SCX10 sits now.

arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4 door Hilux build

So it looks like you didn't have to cut and extend the chassis....good deal. But how does the body rest on there? Any hokeyness that would make it look less scale?
z71baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Really glad i didn't have to extend the frame. The body rests great, maybe the rear body posts would make it less scale but I'm going to spray the inside of the bed black like rhino lining, the bondo failed when I was going to fill in the pre drilled holes so I'm getting modeling puddy.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
Really glad i didn't have to extend the frame. The body rests great, maybe the rear body posts would make it less scale but I'm going to spray the inside of the bed black like rhino lining, the bondo failed when I was going to fill in the pre drilled holes so I'm getting modeling puddy.
Bondo is a lot stronger than say the squadron modeling putty. If I were you, I'd back the hole with some styrene and fill it with bondo. You can also melt styrene with whatever solvent you're using and make an actual plastic filler. Keep up the good work!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Bondo is a lot stronger than say the squadron modeling putty. If I were you, I'd back the hole with some styrene and fill it with bondo. You can also melt styrene with whatever solvent you're using and make an actual plastic filler. Keep up the good work!
I'll give the bondo a try again, I'll get a new can of it sense my current can went rock hard now. Thanks, I defiantly will, can't wait to finish it and hit the trails.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Some updates, got the body filler on, just need to sand it a bit more, next up paint.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That looks really good. Remindes me a build on Pirate that I cant remember the name of.
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks great and long lol arent the 4 door ones the wheel is part of the rear cab and box is short . At least the ones running around my town look like that. The ones that are 4 dr are right hand drive so must have been imported from japan . How long is it from nose to tailgate ?
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yes, the 4 door Hilux's wheel bay is literally right behind the cab but I'm really digging the stretched, long look more, plus I don't want to cut the bed up yet and my cage won't fit if I make it short to the point where it needs to be, the wheel base is 14" exactly so with the way it sits now, nose to bed it's approximately close to 15 3/4 to 16" long, I'll get an exact measurement but right now the paint is drying.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just need my winch to come in, the windows and my motor and a few more scale accessories and I'm done with this project, ready to hit the trails.

4 door Hilux build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Another 4 Door Trailfinder 2 Hilux or is it???? Dready RC4WD Trail Finder 2 69 06-24-2013 01:53 AM
hilux 4x4x4-door chino63 2.2 Scale Rigs 187 01-08-2009 11:06 AM
79-80 Toyota Hilux interior/door pictures 1BadJeepBruiser Chit Chat 7 01-16-2007 03:23 PM