Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My Mog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My Mog

This is my first go at RC trucks. Not knowing anything about them I purchased an RTR Tamiya Unimog. Went like a bat out of hell and had no traction. The net has the solution to these problems and more.

Anyway, onto the model. I pulled the chassis down and ball-raced it, locked the diffs and replaced the suspension and steering with GPM components. Also installed XVDs. I replaced the wheels and tyres with GMade 6 stud wheels and 96mm dia tyres from Hong Kong. I installed the wheel bolts back-to-front so the wheel nuts show. Also Junfac rear and centre skid plates and nifty rear suspension brackets. For the steering I put the tie rods on the inner holes of the hubs; and drilled and tapped a new hole closer to the pivot point of the GPM steering arm. The steering isn't too bad now. Added rear mudguards out of 1mm alu and half round styrene strips. I made a front skid plate from 2mm alu. Because I cut the skirt off the body I added a fuel tank, battery box, air tank, exhaust pipe and cab steps to the chassis.

To slow the model down a bit I installed a RC4WD 80 turn motor. I replaced the steering servo with a waterproof one and the ESC with a HH waterproof one. The electronics are in a waterproof case. I put a new on-off switch on the underside of the chassis over the rear axle.

I cut the skirts off the body. I filled the front mudguards out. Prototype pics show the tray wider than the cab. I found a decent orange pic and copied its tray adding styrene sheet and strips to the front corners, sides and rear; at the same time making the sides vertical. I glued the rear light beam back onto the inside of the tray body and cobbled up a reversing light. Added drop-down sides and end handles and tie down hooks for the canopy. I painted all the window rubbers with matt varnish; and all the black body bits with satin black. Although I have no problem with the two dimensional door handles I couldn't deal with the wipers, so I made some. The canopy frame is square and round K&S tubing. A friend made the canopy. It hides the rear mounting posts. The front mounting posts bothered me until I had the idea of driving lights. I gave the lights tube bases and cross drilled them. Now, hopefully, people will just see the driving lights and not my ruse.

I purchased a HeyOK all singing and dancing light switch (separate running lights control, dim and bright tail lights, reversing light, etc). It works a treat. Just need to sort number plates now.

The running lights

The brakes on

Reversing

The finished model

I am very happy with the model. I must thank all the people who put up threads and vids of how to make a CC01 better. Now to finish my Defender 90 and get onto the Jeep.

Lastly. Anyone in the Canberra Sydney area into trailing/trialing?
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Mog

Heck of a nice job
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
LR3
Rock Crawler

Could you post a few pictures showing what you've done to the tie rods? I am curious to know what you've done there because I am fixing to purchase a CC01.
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks Postclanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
Could you post a few pictures showing what you've done to the tie rods? I am curious to know what you've done there because I am fixing to purchase a CC01.
The first pic shows the GPM steering arm. The GPM steering kit takes the slop out of this part of the steering. I drilled and tapped a new hole about 3mm (centre to centre) in the arm nearer the pivot. This gives a little more arm rotation.

The second pic shows the tie rod attached to the inner hole of the GPM hub. You will see that I had to hack a fair bit of the Tamiya skit plate away so that there is no binding of the steering.

Hope that helps
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
LR3
Rock Crawler

Thank you loads!
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The mog looks good. I like how you how you hid the front body post. Where are the lights from. I think my next rig will be a cc01 after I finish/start my Rubicon.

Last edited by pigblanket; 01-14-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: dam auto correct
pigblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Excellent job... Got to love unimogs!! I like the touches you added to the body really brings it to lfe
dankycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigblanket View Post
The mog looks good. I like how you how you hid the front body post. Where are the lights from. I think my next rig will be a cc01 after I finish/start my Rubicon.
Thanks guys.

The lights came from this: R1 LED Lightbar (2 Lights)

I found a piece of K&S tube that fitted over the light post and cross-drilled it.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Smile Re: My Mog

An update. I took the mog to a comp late last year (WESTROC group in Western Sydney at Warrimoo). Had a ton of fun and met a great bunch of guys. I saw some improvements could be made - it moved too fast, the steering was sloppy, the tyres were so so and I realised that a stick transmitter didn't cut it. So...........

1. I replaced the tie rods with new ones with Traxxas ball ends.

2. I installed the Tamiya Stroke Extension Links.

3. I added a 3:1 Gear Reduction Unit and a HH 45T Torquemaster motor. This required a bit of hacking to the tub. I fitted a piece of styrene over the resulting hole in the tub floor to stop the majority of dirt getting in, right where the brushed are!

4. I was able to get a 2200mAh 2S Lipo in the battery space so all was good.

5. Replaced the tyres with Dick Cepec Fun Country IIs - same dia, look more like a truck tyre and, with limited testing, have more grip. This is how it looks now:

6. And I purchased a Flysky 3B tranny.

My Mog - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my camper mog and my 4 doors mog in my scale garden doudou 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 05-24-2013 05:58 PM