Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Crawlorado719 Scx10 based D90 "Safari"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Crawlorado719 Scx10 based D90 "Safari"

Hello all,
Well this rig has been a blast to build and watch evolve into the rig it is today. It started life from a mainly c2 scx10 with a bronco body slapped on and some scale things here and there.

You can read up on that ones build here:Crawlorado719 SCX10 build

Ever since I got into this hobby I wanted a D90 hardbody to fit onto a scx10 chassis, but I was either broke or didn't know where to start with the build. Finally I had the cash and the guts to 1. Buy the D90 body and some accessories and 2. Sacrifice my Bronco/scx10 rig.

I measured a bunch and made the cut...took maybe 1'' off the tail of the chassis. I also made up some links to bring the rear axle in along with some drive shaft shortening.

Wanted and interior but not hacked to bits to fit the tall axial transmission...some careful planning and ninja dremel love I ended up with a nice fitting interior.

The interior got some styrene treatment to cover up the carved out areas to keep the dust down on the inside.

Ok so now it's time to paint....Mind you it's 15 deg outside and all. So I decide to make a paint booth lol. I used a decent sized Rubbermaid tub and a bathroom exhaust fan and a few feet of ducting out the doggie door...don't judge me. Fitted with a fluorescent light and a towel it was go time, especially since the kid was at grandmas and the wife was out with the girls.

The booth worked awesome and drew out the fumes very well. It did smell but not super strong like one would think.

Final product...

Snorkel and windows painted and installed!

First run in new form...did pretty good for a maiden voyage.

Got my roof rack on finally and started loading it up lol.

Didn't like my homemade bumper and had to splurge a little, also picked up some metal emblems.

New drive as well...Wild west maybe?

At this point I was having a hard time figuring out what the rig was missing...hmmm needed to look more scale. I think I got it...

Picked up some RC4WD Tango Down wheels and spare from a local scaler guy...you might know him cpb27 (Killer scale D90 pick-up)

Clayton was getting rid of some SDI scale doctor tires....yep I bought them.

Did great even in the snow and mud!

This thing handles darn good for what it is..

Had a buddies girlfriend make up some plates for the rigs..

Few months pass as I play with my new TF2 a bunch, and neglect the D90..

So I'm fixing to go to a scale comp up @ Red Rocks hosted by The Crawl Space. At the last minute I pickup the D90 and roll to the comp. Keep in mind I haven't touched this thing for atleast a month and a half.

The Crawl Space Scale Comp SCX10 D90 - YouTube

Took 3rd in class one that day...not to shabby considering.

Another month passes and with spring in the air and D90's blowing up in the local scale scene I had to try and step up my d90's game lol.
So I got the lights working and gave her some weathering.

This weekend was kinda crappy soooo...d90 work. Made a "floor" for the roof rack and tree/branch guards.

I made a scale course in our backyard per permission of my awesome wife. The course has been a work in progress for the past month or so.

Just need to hook up some more spotlights front and rear and I think this badboy is done....maybe

I'll keep this thread updated with anything I do with the D90 so....stay tuned and I hope you enjoyed the show.
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sweet D90... I'm building one also. Lol. If u wanna sell some xtra parts hit me up on fb.
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here's my build.
D90 build...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Crawlorado719 Scx10 based D90 "Safari"

Sweet^^^ To be honest with you I don't really have any d90 specific parts laying around. I hope to round up some of the areas D90's to have a gtg/trail run sometime during the summer so get cracking man!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I AM judging you, and I say that the Doggie door rubbermaid paint booth looks like a winner! I"m not a big follower of the Defender builds, but this looks great and your photography skills are right on point. Great scale shots! Nice build. Greg
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm liking the paint booth, and with that finish I'd say you have a winner.. Rig looks great and as stated by bulldog the pics really set it off..

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #7

I modded my scx10 to fit the D90 hardbody as well. I also just shortened the rear links but I'm wondering if you have the same issue I do where when the rear axle is fully articulated (like you pick the truck up) the rear axle binds. The driveshaft can't handle the extreme angle. The only way I can think to fix it is to find a driveshaft that can handle a sharper angle or to lengthen the rear links and bring the front back in.

ANyways, do you have any binding in the rear at all? You're truck looks way better than mine! Good job.
(because I want to share mine)
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I AM judging you, and I say that the Doggie door rubbermaid paint booth looks like a winner! I"m not a big follower of the Defender builds, but this looks great and your photography skills are right on point. Great scale shots! Nice build. Greg
Hey man we gotta do what we gotta do lol...Thanks so much for the compliments. I know there is a bunch of D90 builds out there and I was hoping for a good response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
I'm liking the paint booth, and with that finish I'd say you have a winner.. Rig looks great and as stated by bulldog the pics really set it off..

--Dan
It works pretty darn good man...granted it's only for them cold winter days when you got that itch to paint. Yeah I figured when you want to show off a scale rig you should shoot pics like your in real life. It does get difficult though when it's muddy or snowy out lol. Thanks for the compliments boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I modded my scx10 to fit the D90 hardbody as well. I also just shortened the rear links but I'm wondering if you have the same issue I do where when the rear axle is fully articulated (like you pick the truck up) the rear axle binds. The driveshaft can't handle the extreme angle. The only way I can think to fix it is to find a driveshaft that can handle a sharper angle or to lengthen the rear links and bring the front back in.

ANyways, do you have any binding in the rear at all? You're truck looks way better than mine! Good job.
(because I want to share mine)
Hmmm my rear axle/drive shaft does not have any binding issues. I run a 3 link in the rear and a shortened drive shaft and also stock scx10 shocks...post a side view of your drive shaft angle on the rear. Your rig looks good man it's not about looking better it's about how you "express" the look and your looks to be like a military style...looks good to me. Thanks for the kind words and let me know if you need any help with the binding issue.

Thanks again fellas...always good to her commpliments from fellow nerds like me...nerd being a compliment
Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well.... i just traded my D90 body for a Jeep new bright JK body.

J.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
Well.... i just traded my D90 body for a Jeep new bright JK body.

J.
BOOOO...Your a jeep fanatic anyway so you'll probably enjoy it more.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Great to see you started a build thread Dave! Looking good. Can't wait to get our Defenders out on the trails together. Sounds like we could have a Camel Trophy event with all the other D90's in the area haha
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawlorado719 Scx10 based D90 "Safari" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale "Bragging Rights" Scaler Safari winner Georgia 44 08-27-2014 08:27 AM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Extended Trailer Spidernad Scale Videos! 7 04-22-2014 07:08 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10 - Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Full Video Spidernad Scale Videos! 4 11-12-2012 11:23 AM
Unlimited JDB's Flatdeck D90 AKA "Druggy" UnlimitedJDB 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 10-10-2012 11:43 PM