Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: TLT Franken Bronco Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TCS X-Trail Bronco Truggy

Well, it's almost done (OK, we know these are really never done)!!!
This is my 1.9 truck as it stands now:
TCS X-trail Chassis
TLT Axles
RC4WD R2 Tranny
Integy 45T Lathe Motor
Castle Sidewinder V3
Spectrum S8000 Servo (still on axle)
Spectrum RX/TX
Gear Head 1.9 Trail King EZ-Loc All Aluminum Wheels
Proline TSL super swampers (front wheels weighted with about 2oz I think)
Axial aluminum SCX10 shocks bleading 50W oil all over the axles....Using Team Associtaed B4 Buggy Rear Springs
Brakeline roll cage
Proline 76 bronco body chopped horribly (have an exact body on order and will TRY to do this better)

Last edited by joe.bielski; 08-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TLT Franken Bronco Truggy

Here is an older shot using painted proline wheels. You can see how I cut the back and attached it to the cab.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm trying something different. I've ordered the C.I. Deuce's Wild 4.25 foams. They are almost a perfect fit for the Proline TSL SX tires. They feel super hard though. I'm used to using stock memory foams and driving super slow.... I'll see how these work this weekend.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've got another Proline 73 Bronco on the go. Made pretty clean cuts so both the front and back line up perfectly this time. Started painting with PS42 Translucent Yellow then put a couple coats of PS17 Metalic Green.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm trying out the aluminum Axial shocks again with Team Associated B4 rear springs on them. For some reason, one of my Proline scale shock completely dumped it's oil... I have no idea what happened there but I do have a rebuild kit. I do have a bit more articulation with the axial shocks But I found that less articulation is sometimes better.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Got these Derlin RC4WD TLT axle housings off another member and they look sweet!!! I was only able to get one set, so these are going on the front!!!

Here's a side by side with the stock housing.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I spent the weekend running the truck at Awenda Park's rocky beaches to get some impressions on my tire/foam combo. The C.I. Deuces Wild foams are AWESOME when it comes to side hilling, but I did lose some noticeable rock climbing abilities. I have to decide what I think is worth more to me.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The C.I. Foams are meant for trucks 8LBS or more and for medium to fast runs. I usually stick to the rocks and crawl really slow, so I might try C.I.'s Double Duece foams when I can afford them.

Last edited by joe.bielski; 08-25-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Not much of an update. Just some pics from the beginning of the season. The truck has been performing great. At it's first comp, it came in 13th place out of 43 trucks. Not too shabby for a TLT axled oldie. Since then I have swapped in an SCX10 tranny so I can adjust pinion gears much easier. (I ultimatley tried to build a competative truck that used no axial parts, but alas, the R2 tranny is a bit of a PITA when it comes to changing pinions). The pitbull tires are ridicoulously good. For this weekend, I'm putting a set of RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.9 Baja Claw 4.19" Scale Tires just to try them out. A challenge is always welcome

Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This weekend I took my "tiny turk" on a camping trip to Charleston Lake Provincial Park. Lots of rocks and varied terrain. I got to put the 4.19" Baja Claws through their paces. I wish I'd brought the pitbulls so I can do a comparison but had to pack light (the truck was already extra gear). The tires did very well. I ran them backwards as a lot of you guys suggest that for better traction. On rocks and loose dirt on rock, they stuck really great. I did have to watch out not to bottem the axles out as they are shorter than my Pitbull Rock Beasts. I was also using new Jufac steel wheels that are pretty heavy on their own so no weights and stock foams.

I did get stuck in pretty deep mud though. It was a beach that actually all clay underneath. Some kids made a mud pit but it was so thick and sticky that once the truck was up over it's axles in mud, you were done!!! Even my 300oz servo had a hell of a time trying to steer in that stuff.

Overall I was very happy with the tires and wheels. I'm going to add 1oz of weight to each front wheel and run these tires at the next comp

Well, time to take her apart and get to some cleaning, maintenance and greasing.... yay... :/
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #11

cool build but i believe that for it to be a fully legal class 2 truck (According to SORRCA), the back half of the chassis rails have to be cut off. I may be wrong though.
carolina_customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It is class 2 legal but doesn't fall into the "full truggy" category as the roll cage is just a bolt on. It's essentially as legal as a stock trail honcho.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Love it! Just purchased a couple tlt based rigs on custom chassis. Hoping they're pretty capable. Is yours ridiculously slow as well? Mine move at a snails pace, but I haven't cracked into them to see what all they got
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well it depends on what transmission I use. Originally I was using an RC4WD R2 with a 45T motor on a 2S battery and it was VERY SLOW. I switched to an SCX10 transmission and it's fine now on 2S with the 45T motor and is pretty damn fast on 3S batteries (too fast for my liking).

They are pretty capable and reliable with proper maintenance. So far I've had no major problems and no problems spanking hopped up SCX10 rigs. Keep it light and the weight down low
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Just a small update and a "hipsta-insta-whatever" photo for you. Just finished getting the truck ready for the Rc4wd Canadian Scale Challenge this weekend. There was a lot of play in the rear axle so I rebuilt the diff and installed a set of RCP Crawlers TLT SS straight axles. These are GREAT. This upgrade removed all of the play caused by the stock outdrives. I also put on proper RCP X MIP CVD Hex Hubs on the front. I originally used some plastic hexes that I drilled out to fit the MIP CVD's but they were never 100% straight and caused the wheels to wobble. And just tightened up the MIP CVD's up front, relocated the ESC and rewired the lights. All I gotta do now is charge a couple 2S packs and I'm ready to go. Not gonna bother with the 3S.

I was arguing with myself on whether to use the new Baja claws or my old rock beasts but decided to stick with the rock beasts for this comp..... I think.... There's still 2 days left so I might change my mind..... again....

Last edited by joe.bielski; 07-10-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome Joe! Nice work and great thread. Best of luck to you this weekend.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So, funny little story on the way back from the RC4WD Canadian Challenge on Sunday. I packed all my gear and to get home on my Suzuki SV650 motorcycle and saw two guys on Harlies on the side of the road. Stopped to see if I could help. One of the Harlies had a snapped throttle cable.... After some head scratching, we took apart some of the links off the back of my TLT and used the screw, nut and washers to hold the throttle cable back on the throttle tube!!!! Who would of thought you could fix a Harley with an RC truck :P (Well, ok, just a couple screws and things OFF an RC Truck)

Last edited by joe.bielski; 07-13-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #18

Great rig but I have to say I love my Baja claws but those rock beasts do look good on there
Kenyon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Rig performed pretty damn good in Class 2 at the RC4WD Canadian Challenge. Ended up 13th out of 30 trucks. If only the driver didn't suck so bad :P
Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Wow, very nice Bronco to pickup cab truggy conversions, loving this thread! That delrin TLT housing is nice too. More trail pics please and good job at the RC4WD Canadian Challenge, sounds like a blast.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.9 scale, proline bronco, rc4wd, scx10, tlt

TLT Franken Bronco Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Bronco Truggy joe.bielski Scale Videos! 3 09-04-2014 02:26 PM
Bronco truggy PNW style liveforocks 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 05-19-2011 12:08 AM