Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scale crawler: SCX or 1.9 Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #1

Default Scale crawler: SCX or 1.9 Wraith?

Hoping to get a little more ambitious with my next rig, I'd like to go for a detailed scale build, both interior and exterior (maybe moving steering wheel?), and also build in dig and possibly 4 wheel steering, just to see what they can do. And I want to go 1.9, both for scale, and because I'm already running my own Bomber and my son's Yeti, so 2.2 is covered. This new rig would be slow, no speed capability required.

I was considering a 1.9 Wraith, partly so I could do that complete interior with the Wraith transmission (and for the extra challenge of adapting the Wraith for 1.9—a popular build, I know, but I'm still pretty green), but there's still the servo on the axle. The 10.2's chassis mount servo makes that front end a little more scale (to me).

Was thinking about an open-top JK build with the Wraith (Proline body? custom cage?), or maybe something more hacked in appearance (bug? Truggy cab?).

I'd love to hear thoughts on the pros & cons of each chassis (keeping it Axial on the project, I think) in terms of both scale appearance, and crawling mojo. I know dig and 4ws are not really comp-friendly, but if you have thoughts on which path might be friendlier to possible competition at some point, happy to hear those thoughts, too.

It's hard not to read others' build threads here and not get wildly ambitious. My project idea list is pretty long, thanks to y'all.

Thanks!
Fives
Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scale crawler: SCX or 1.9 Wraith?

I had built a 1.9 Wraith a couple years ago, was a really fun truck and I made a CMS setup work for it. I think my build thread is on here somewhere. I definitely miss that truck!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

vanquish makes a cms kit for the wraith now, don't really have to adapt anything, if you plan to keep the ar60 axles. If you don't, well, things get interesting and it becomes slightly more "custom" to shorten the wheelbase and get the steering dialed in, but not impossible.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Honestly the 1.9 wraith set up works really well. I have built several using SCX10, Venom Creeper, TRX4 and most recently ascender axles. The only thing I don't care for wraith based rigs is working on things is always a pain because you have to pull a bunch of screws to get anything apart. You can't just pop the body off and dig in. With things like an opening hood it does help but it is still more effort.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I loved my Wraith was because of the full depth interior( more realistic) as I can put an action figure. I hate my rig without a driver
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale crawler: SCX or 1.9 Wraith? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx-10 scale comp crawler Qcustomz Axial SCX-10 14 01-24-2013 04:38 AM