Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another IFS SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Another IFS SCX10

Had these parts laying around for years, finally sat down and started doing something with them.

Laying out out..Usual HPI Nitro RS4 200mm wide front clip.

First iteration: I made a small bracket up top to locate the diff where I wanted it.

Skid to link it to the chassis out back. I think I saw someone using links on a previous build, but I wanted a flat bottom. At least for now

After a lot of trial and error, got it all on there pretty solid...mocked it up and realized my error

Mocked up a few bodies, and it was clear the entire front end was hanging way, way to low.

I seem to do that on all my IFS builds. No idea why...So scratched that, and started over. Second iteration:

Pretty much the same as above, just removed the top bracket and shortened everything up. Think this puts it in the ballpark.

That's better! Could probably go higher, but I like the wheel travel in relation to the body. a few more mock up pics (no clue what body is going here yet)

Now that the main mock up is done, time to work on some details..
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Another IFS SCX10

Dig it! Hurry up and finish so I have more ideas for a new build.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just scored some Super Nitro arms off Ebay for $12 shipped. The track width of the HPI front end is about 10-15mm narrower than an SCX10 axle. The SN arms should put it in the ballpark.

I have 2 sets here....but they are attached to my Super Nitro Rally's!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like it, looks great with the F350 cab and flatbed. I'm also a fan of not too tall, they sidehill sooo much better. Updates please!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Coming along, got in the zone and got a ton of stuff done.

Rear Axle flipped, used an aluminum upper link mount...no idea where I got it, but it works perfect. Rear axle has Beef Tubes and standard HD gears.

Front is stuffed with OD gears, HPI HD outdrives I found in my parts pile, and an HR locker.

The front clip before I stripped all the purple off and cleaned it up. I bent it somewhat where the steering rack mounts so it flows a little better.

Front shock towers, battery mount, and radio tray - all 2mm 6061.

View from the bottom...I mounted the steering servo on the side of the chassis for now. Not sure if I like where it's at - most likely going to get hung up there. Not sure. I'll find out on the test run...

Decided on the Ford body, have to sort out wheels and tires yet ... but that's the fun part!
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks great. Whatare your plans for the ifs driveshafts/dogbones? Ive had a hard time finding SNR/MTDT/MT2 center shafts for the axles.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I picked up SNR dogbones when I got the arms. There are universals on Ebay, but they were $40+... Little expensive when job hunting. I'll wait and see how the dogbones work out.

I do have Mini Trophy parts here too, didn't even get into that box yet.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Stripped the ano off the Super Nitro arms. Next to Axial green, purple is the worst color imo (HPI went to orange and gunmetal - a much better combo to my eyes)

Anyway, ripped the front end apart and installed the SN arms. The front track was about 10mm narrower than the rear, and with the new arms it is now dead even so I can use the same offset wheels front and rear. From the bottom: HPI Sprint (190mm), HPI RS43 (200mm), and Super Nitro (210mm)

The Super Nitro arms have a bit more webbing on the end of the arm, and it really limits the wheels I can use. I trimmed it down a bit, but didn't make much difference. Webbing, after shaving...still going to be tight. Wondering if I can shave it all off.

Tried some ProLine Titus wheels and they did not quite clear.

So I moved to some old Integy multi-offset rims that I've had forever, and with the +5 set-up, It's good to go. Glad I did, these rims look killer imo. And this trucks is heavy - light wheels and tires will do fine.

Ended up with some Vaterra tires on it with dual stage foams, and think the overall stance is spot on. Just a few quick flex pics. Build itself is done, I just need to do some shock/ride height tuning, glue the tires and it'll be hitting the trail next weekend.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Stripped the ano off the Super Nitro arms. Next to Axial green, purple is the worst color imo (HPI went to orange and gunmetal - a much better combo to my eyes)

Everything was anodized purple back then!
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Oppan Gangnam Style

Very nice work, very clean.

Video please.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Out on the trail...it's like a big CC01! Except with much better steering.

Slips around a lot with the Vaterra tires, not sure what I want to do there. Also needs some fine tuning with the front shocks. Otherwise it was a perfect maiden run..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Very clean setup sir. One day I'll get around to doing one as well. And when I do, I'll reference this build. Nicely done.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Awesome! I have a mini trophy here I started pulling apart to attempt a IFS build but it didn't make it very far..

Thanks for sharing
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! Test drive got me excited to finish it up. Tires need some work for sure.

I was thinking about a mini trophy for a donor rig, but I really like mine. One of my favorite go fast trucks.... couldn't bear to tear it up.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

There was a lot of limitations with trying to use the mini trophy, this looks like you have it handled
Old 01-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Made some changes after its first run... Some for better, and some for worse.

Added some aluminum knuckles and C's that I had from another build. Took out a lot of slop.

Cut the large lugs off the tires and siped the remaining outers... feels much better on the bench. We'll see.. The tires are not exactly horrible, there's some potential here.

Swapped out the SCX10 shocks for some Integy 90mm shocks with 50wt. oil and some old T-maxx upgrade springs. Needed something very stiff - these feel pretty good overall.

Relocated the steering link to above the slider. Should have never been below it. Might make up a skid plate here.

And finally... since I swapped over to the aluminum knuckles, I'm not sure exactly why but now the dogbones are binding up at full extension. Everything should be the same dimension-wise, but apparently not. I messed with it a bit, and this is about as good as it's going to get

and that's not good enough. So I either need to find some SuperNitroRally front universals, or go back to the 200mm arms. Hmmm.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #17

How did you know the gearing in the front diff would match the rear? I want to try to build one but dont know how to match the gearing up on various vehicles.
PorkChop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop88 View Post
How did you know the gearing in the front diff would match the rear? I want to try to build one but dont know how to match the gearing up on various vehicles.
HPI and axial used the same gearing
Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #19

Thank you
PorkChop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

does it pretty much handle like a bigger modded CC01 with good gears?
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Another IFS SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ifs scx10 help nofreetime Non Crawler RC's 20 09-12-2016 11:57 PM
scx10 ifs ToyZuki General Scale Talk 34 10-06-2014 07:21 PM
Ifs scx10 Maverick52 Axial SCX-10 1 03-05-2013 11:14 PM
Ifs scx10 markturbo Scale Videos! 8 04-19-2012 02:24 AM