Notices

Thread: Drew's Power Wagon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Drew's Power Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Minor update. On vacation and slacked a few days. Had a buddy print a trans tunnel for me to help speed things along. Floor is "done". Total rework of the seat in progress, no pics though until it's "done".

Tease

I have this body in the mail, but I chickened out and ordered the Exclusive RC interior.

Looking forward to how this shakes out for you
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Tease

I have this body in the mail, but I chickened out and ordered the Exclusive RC interior.

Looking forward to how this shakes out for you
Curious to see what it looks like. I wanted one but just couldn't justify the cost.

New seat is "done". I was jamming on it though and didn't stop to take many photos.

DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Great work! You got skills.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Great work! You got skills.
Thanks dude. This is my first interior "scratch build". It's definitely been a challenge. Hopefully my skills continue to improve and I get quicker. I have 8 hours in that seat
Old 04-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #25
Slow is the new Fast

The Styrene wrk is looking damn fine! It looks like you curved the piece that runs under the side and front of the seat? Using heat?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
The Styrene wrk is looking damn fine! It looks like you curved the piece that runs under the side and front of the seat? Using heat?
Curved yes, but no heat, just brute force. The seat is made from layers of .030 sheet so it's pretty easy to bend.

Can't post a reply without a pic. New dash in progress. The other was too small, but the contours will still right. My buddy's 3d printer is down for a day or so, so I bit the bullet and decided to make it from styrene. Probably just confidence from how the seat turned out. At least now I'll get an extra -2 for "custom interior".

Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

More progress today. Dash is "done" and mounted. Needed a break from interior after messing up a door panel on the final part. Built "inner fenders" for the front and mounted a fan to keep a little air moving under the hood.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
More progress today. Dash is "done" and mounted. Needed a break from interior after messing up a door panel on the final part. Built "inner fenders" for the front and mounted a fan to keep a little air moving under the hood.
Looking good! Are you going to try a scratch steering wheel?

And factory air conditioning too...you're really going all out!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looking good! Are you going to try a scratch steering wheel?

And factory air conditioning too...you're really going all out!

Thanks! Probably not making a steering wheel. Round stuff is really hard. I'll probably dig through my pile of parts for an axial one. If I'm not happy with any of those I'll design and print one. SORRCA rules seem to be OK with off the shelf steering wheels and still getting the extra -2 for custom interior.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Probably not making a steering wheel. Round stuff is really hard. I'll probably dig through my pile of parts for an axial one. If I'm not happy with any of those I'll design and print one. SORRCA rules seem to be OK with off the shelf steering wheels and still getting the extra -2 for custom interior.

They might be a lil expensive , a steering wheel https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122923048325
I like the C option .
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
They might be a lil expensive , a steering wheel https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122923048325
I like the C option .
Thanks for the suggestion. I may keep that in mind however I'm trying to avoid as much metal as possible.

No real updates on this since my last post. Need a small break, and work has killed me the past couple days with 13 hour days. Really need to get door panels done this week. Our first local "points" race is this weekend. I may just show up and judge and help run the courses.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

That interior is looking good! I definitely want to see how this progresses!
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #33

Looks great!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
That interior is looking good! I definitely want to see how this progresses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looks great!
Thanks y'all!

Our first local "comp" and show and shine is this weekend. I won't be ready, but I've really been pushing for SORRCA based rules in our local club this year, and it looks like I've convinced the local "organizers". I'll be showing up to help set up courses, tech and judge this weekend. The interior will be complete, but nothing will be painted lol.

I had an hour or so to mess with it tonight. Another 13 hour day but was good to relax and cut on some more styrene.

In retrospect I really need to contribute more towards some "how-to" posts on this site. I've got a slightly different methodology being in metalworking for over 2 decades.

New door panels are in the works. For those that haven't picked up on it in the background, I'm very reliant on a set of dial calipers to help myself lay items out on the sheet. The "backer" material is .040, with a .010 overlay to act as the bolt on "insert" and a .060 half round bead around the outside. Normally I spend time edge sanding to get a radius to help differentiate between layers, however these layers are thin enough that the primer should help blend between them with a small radius.

Spending over 2 decades in a machine shop really had me spoiled on layout fluids like dykem. I'm not sure how that stuff reacts with styrene, but I know sharpie works, is readily available and from what I can tell, doesn't affect the bond too much (although I could be wrong).

So today, I laid out some new door panels on .040, referencing my messed up one as the overall dimensions and placement were correct. Starting with some that appeared to be the correct size and aspect ratio, I drew an extra wide sharpie line around the perimeter. I then took my calipers and set them to the desired distance, and used the sharp corners to "scribe" the width I wanted around the panel. I then followed this up with my exacto #11 blade used to "spot" the screw holes in the panel.

I then took these measurements, doubled the offset for the hole centerline and drew these out on .010 sheet. This will act as a raised portion that looks (to me) to be raised on the panel. These were cut out, corners were radiused and bonded to the .040 sheet.

I then bonded the panel to the backer sheet I'm using for the full door panel. Overall I'm not too concerned with the leftover sharpie bleeding, by the time it's painted no one will really know.

After this was complete and dry, I ran my .060 half round as a bead around the panel. A learning experience I had from the first try was that the half round cracked and broke as soon as I hit it with the solvent. This time I brushed a thin layer on the half round before bending to help soften everything up. It definitely worked for this one, hopefully I won't break it on the next.

As you can see in the photos I've left the inner panel overhanging the actual backer panel. After everything dries I'll go back and trim this to the appropriate length. To keep both sides the same, everything is done in pairs.

More updates to come by the end of the week. Stay tuned!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #35
RCC Addict

No updates? It's been like six months. Ok, one.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No updates? It's been like six months. Ok, one.

Unfortunately work and some family things have dominated my life as of late. Hope to get some paint down by this weekend.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately work and some family things have dominated my life as of late. Hope to get some paint down by this weekend.
No worries...we'll be watching

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Drew's Power Wagon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon bodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2015 11:02 AM
power wagon,,,, dezmoon Paint and Body 16 01-04-2010 10:23 PM
Power Wagon Jester666 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-28-2008 10:26 AM