Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner

Build is coming along great ... those axles are great ... I been hunting and keeping my eyes open for another deal on them. I been beating them up on my straight axle capra and they hold up great.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #22
Slow is the new Fast

Loving the build B, lotsa of interesting stuff going on.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:18 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I picked up a couple sets of those axial straight kits when they had the sale. Twade talked me out of a set with some f10s awhile back lol. Got a set on both my capras too

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:18 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Nice, still kicking myself for not picking up a set of those axles.
It was a great deal. Hopefully they'll do the sale again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
Build is coming along great ... those axles are great ... I been hunting and keeping my eyes open for another deal on them. I been beating them up on my straight axle capra and they hold up great.
Thanks Speedy! I don't have a ton of miles on the sets that I bought, but they do look like they'll take a beating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Loving the build B, lotsa of interesting stuff going on.
Thanks smog! This will be different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I picked up a couple sets of those axial straight kits when they had the sale. Twade talked me out of a set with some f10s awhile back lol. Got a set on both my capras too

I was weak and bought 3 sets! A pair for my Axial 10.3 JK, a set for my never ending GCM J2 Skeleton build and these.

I stole my Capra axles from my Capra and put them on a GSpeed V3 rig that still isn't complete. I thought about using these straigth axle under the Capra. I think the Capra looks so much better with the narrower axles.

You gotta watch that twade fella!!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:13 AM   #25
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Dang brian, that rear mount looks waaayyyy better than mine lol. Good job brother! The twin sure is a tight fit back there in the o/d side for sure

Here ya go. A couple pics I snapped of the Twin mounted on the Vader skid. I had to slide the Twin all the way to the driverside and back so that the OD box sits right against the frame rails.

Surprisingly, mounting it this way puts the rear driveshaft right dead in the center of the skid where it should be. It does fit snuggly with really no room for it to mount anywhere else. I forgot to take a pic of the front of the trans. The spur gear sits right behind the servo mount/brace with about 2-4mm gap. The spur gear cover will not fit unless it is cut to fit around the brace.

Name:  IMG_2543.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2544.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  171.5 KB
Old 10-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #26
RCC Addict

That looks good brian. Yeah, all mine have the spur right there close to the dsm. If i run the spur cover, i just cut the top half. Mainly to protect the wires under the body, not to worried about the pinion down below

Old 10-08-2023, 09:15 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Sounds like a sweet board! Got any pics?
sorry it took so long to to get pics but here she is old wax and everything shes been in storage way to long

ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:21 AM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
sorry it took so long to to get pics but here she is old wax and everything shes been in storage way to long
Nice! The wood grain and pattern looks beautiful! I bet she's dying to see the water again! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 03-25-2024, 03:33 AM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

This has been put off for far too long. It's finally back in the shop to hopefully get much of the mock up done and get it to the paint shop.

Name:  IMG_4288.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  182.7 KB
Old 03-25-2024, 06:14 AM   #30

Very cool build. So you're a big fan of the S8E shocks, huh? They seem to be love it or hate it depending on whether or not you can prevent them from leaking.

At $99 the axle set is a good deal. At $169 it is a tough sell for me. Axial can keep the shocks. I don't think Axial has made a shock that doesn't leak. This is probably exactly why you chose to use S8E shocks instead.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 PM   #31
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very cool build. So you're a big fan of the S8E shocks, huh? They seem to be love it or hate it depending on whether or not you can prevent them from leaking.

At $99 the axle set is a good deal. At $169 it is a tough sell for me. Axial can keep the shocks. I don't think Axial has made a shock that doesn't leak. This is probably exactly why you chose to use S8E shocks instead.
Thanks Jato. Yeah these S8E shocks are not favorites of many, but are favorites of mine. I now have 8 built sets and 1 unbuilt set of VRD S8E kit shocks. All 8 sets on my rigs are all leak free and smooth. If they are built properly then they shouldn't leak. I did buy the Knipex snap ring pliers to disassemble the packings to lube them up, but haven't taken the time to do that. Adding the 70wt oil also seems to help with keeping them leak free.

The Axial axles were a great deal at $99. I bought 3 sets that I have used in other builds. I probably wouldn't buy them for $169. I'd spend more and buy the Vanquish F10's before I'd buy the Axial.

I didn't use the Axial shocks that came with the axles because they are 100mm. I still haven't figured out Axial's thinking why they decided to go that long. I did use 1 set of these shocks in another build and ended up using fuel tubing to limit them to about 90mm. These shocks are OK, but will never be my first choice.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:25 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

As a life long surfer and rc nerd I will be following.
surfishjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:31 AM   #33
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfishjoe View Post
As a life long surfer and rc nerd I will be following.
Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Hoping to have some updates soon. I need to update all of the changes that have happened since it was last seen last year.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:03 PM   #34
Go Buckeyes!

Before I jump back into this build at full throttle, I first want to go back and get caught up on what has already been done. Before it sat in my other garage over the winter, I had tinkered with on and off and got to where it sits now.

The chassis as it sits now. Mocked up and drivable.

Name:  IMG_4297.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  182.8 KB

Battery location up front beside the servo. I used a piece of Kydex and foam strips and attached it to the winch servo mount. A Hobbywing 1080 G2 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport.

Name:  IMG_4298.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  154.8 KB

Added an extension onto the rear chassis to mount the rear bed support and bumper.

Name:  IMG_4299.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  124.2 KB

Mounted a set of Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tiny tires mounted on a set of plastic wheels that I painted with Rust-oleum Hammered silver paint to replicate aluminum wheels.

Name:  IMG_4300.jpg
Size:  176.9 KB

Top look of the VFD Twin with the piece of Kydex that is mounted to the underside of the top gear cover.

Name:  IMG_4301.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  182.6 KB

I decided to swap out the Tamiya Hilux body and Marlin bobbed bed for an RC4WD TF2 body kit. In order to haul the surfboards in the bed, it'll have to have a long bed. At the time I bought this body kit, Amain had a deal on this body kit that I couldn't pass up.

Name:  IMG_4302.jpg
Size:  178.5 KB

Instead of using the RC4WD square headlight grille, I'll be using the Tamiya round headlight grile. I like this grille and bumper better and will fit the look much better.

Name:  IMG_4303.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  149.2 KB

I 3D printed a surfboard rack that is bolted into the bed. I'll have more on that later.

Name:  IMG_4304.jpg
Size:  139.5 KB

A quick peek at the interior. I started painting and detailing it. Carpet and a seat cover is going in next.

Name:  IMG_4305.jpg
Size:  96.8 KB

And finally a look at the 3D printed surfboards that I will be using. The gray one is primed and sanded and still needs finished.

Name:  IMG_4306.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  177.3 KB

Hoping to have more updates sooner than later!
Old 03-27-2024, 08:58 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

This is a fun build! The kydex under the transmission cover, is this acting as a gasket?
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #36
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
This is a fun build! The kydex under the transmission cover, is this acting as a gasket?

No. I’m using it as a place to mount my wires. I put bends in the Kydex to step it down to keep it low.

I used the same piece of Kydex in my Rock Pirate RC build to mount my receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2024, 04:51 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Thats a pretty slick idea with the kydex brian. The surfboards turnded out nice. Good to see this build back on the bench

Old 03-28-2024, 05:54 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Ah dude love it! Love little mods like that.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:10 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thats a pretty slick idea with the kydex brian. The surfboards turnded out nice. Good to see this build back on the bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Ah dude love it! Love little mods like that.
Thanks guys!

So, scrolling thru my phone gallery I found some forgotten pics I took last year while I was working on the Hilux.

Before I decided to ditch the Tamiya Hilux cab, I paired it with the RC4WD TF2 long bed. I didn't like this cab because the door handles were molded in to the body and other little details. The TF2 cab allows for the the add on details that this body doesn't have.

Also you can see the cheap plastic wheels that I used. I sprayed them with paint to mimic alum wheels as it sits currently.

Name:  IMG_2301.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  169.9 KB

Electronics that I choose to install. This will be my first 1080 G2 ESC so I hope it is just as great as the version 1.

Name:  IMG_2302.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  179.8 KB

I picked up the Tamiya Bruiser parts tree for the bumpers. These bumpers look much better than the RC4WD bumpers that were supplied with the kit.

The second pic shows the difference of the front bumpers. The TF2 is on the bottom. It is a tad wider and doesn't have the front license plate cut out like I was wanting.

Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  182.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2445.jpg
Size:  178.3 KB

And I'll be adding a roll bar to the bed. Found this cheap, but nice one on the Amazon. Even comes with a light kit to add to the top to give this Hilux an '80's look.
Name:  IMG_2479.jpg
Size:  181.2 KB
Old 03-30-2024, 09:42 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Hey, Brian - you have a link for that rollbar?

Ummm... and maybe for those plastic wheels?

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.9 scaler, bmow71, rc4wd hilux, tamiya crawler, vanquish products

B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4S TRX4, Element 4 Runner & 10.2 Honcho Beach Bashing Hardcoretam Videos! 0 11-08-2020 04:32 AM
Hilux crawling at the beach summitcrawler Scale Videos! 2 01-02-2013 10:54 AM
surf brawler hilux at the beach seven.two Videos! 2 02-05-2011 04:46 PM