Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Working on a Unimog...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #1

Default Working on a Unimog... Update 4/3/07

This is it as it sits...

The plan is to replace the body with a new one, and use the bed to cover the back end up a little. I'll more than likely end up with this one:

http://www.townsquaretoys.com/Merced...h_p/br2471.htm

More picture of it are here - http://www.scale4x4rc.org/gallery/th...ls.php?album=7

Old build thread here - http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5457

Last edited by KeithLuneau; 04-03-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Title Change
KeithLuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Do is see that correct?!!
Is that a VMG?? axled rig?
Wow looking great! its pretty scale for a VMG
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

very good use of a vmg. i used to have one and it was my first crawler
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #4

You are correct, it's a VMG with a GWS airplane gearbox for a reduction. Works well!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Work can now resume...

Besides the obvious new donor truck, I also got the ESC from atwill over on Scale, installed it last night. I've worked out mounts for the bed too. Shouldn't be much longer now...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #6

...And a few hours later:

Got the cab and bed all mounted up. The bed mounts on 3 body posts which seems to work well enough. I had to cut a hole for the motor/gear reduction to stick through, but I can live with it... The receiver and ESC are both tucked away under the bed. The battery will ride in the bed next to the motor.

I was also able to keep all the interior intact. You can sort of see that in this one...

In this picture you can see that I was also able to keep most of the fenders in one piece, kinda closes off the underside.

All I have to do now is cut some limiters from small fuel tubing to go on the shock shafts, the rear tires rub under the bed. Once thats done I can run it and see how it works!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

dam you keitharoo, thats looking good!
i was just planning on letting my vmg sit in a box under the bed for awhile, but now......
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Dam Keith, lookin sweet! Made quick work of getting that body on. Can't wait to see some video of that thing.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i thought that body looked familar, nice work man.
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #10

Thanks for the kind words! I've taken the goofy looking light bar off the cab, and cut the hole out clean. I'll more than likely cut a windshield for the new cab like I did the old one, when I do I'll cut a glass for the "sunroof" as well. I also ditched the Bruder decal, in favor of a more fitting logo for the doors.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

that thing is going to have some serious steering issues i tried doing like that once and it wont flex and turn at the same time . but the truck looks killer
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #12

Actually it steers quite well for a chassis mounted servo. I ran it a number of times after building the chassis, and it drives plenty good.

Dug up a couple of old videos for now, I remember one or both was with open diffs, but you can see how the steering works none the less. (Edit - Just checked them again, the diffs are open in the first, locked in the second. I forgot about the nice in-cab footage in the second one too... lol)

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/keith/VMGMog.wmv
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/keith/VMGMog2.wmv

Last edited by KeithLuneau; 04-04-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
RCC Addict

awsome vids i wish i would have had that kind of success with mine
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #14

Default wow

That is seriously cool. The more of these bruder truck i see the more it makes me want one.. it looks as though it is pretty tough to get an axle to look right underneath it though
billdapart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

good thing those bruders have the exact same trackwidth as the vmg! how did you manage to keep the look so well, like the height is exactly the same as a stock bruder... but the rear wheel wells are gone, is this because the wheelbase is different??

also, in regards to the steering... since the servo looks like its in the middle, why cant you use a large servo saver, and put 2 turnbuckles on it,one for each front wheel? your steering would become more predictable thru the suspension travel because its symmetrical... alot closer to the stock vmg steering too

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdapart View Post
it looks as though it is pretty tough to get an axle to look right underneath it though
i say it looks alot cooler this way compared to the moulded underside of the stock bruder...unless you want to turn the bruder into a totally scale rig

Last edited by carmatic; 04-06-2007 at 10:11 PM.
carmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmatic View Post
good thing those bruders have the exact same trackwidth as the vmg! how did you manage to keep the look so well, like the height is exactly the same as a stock bruder... but the rear wheel wells are gone, is this because the wheelbase is different??

also, in regards to the steering... since the servo looks like its in the middle, why cant you use a large servo saver, and put 2 turnbuckles on it,one for each front wheel? your steering would become more predictable thru the suspension travel because its symmetrical... alot closer to the stock vmg steering too
Yeah, the wheelbase is a little longer than the Bruder truck, not exactly sure how much. I'd guess 3/8" or so. The "chassis" of the Bruder truck is completely hacked though, the front bumper and fenders and all were parts of the original chassis. The rear fenders probably wouldnt be that hard to put on there, I just haven't looked at it yet. I thought I might put them on originally, and still might.

Thats not a bad idea for the steering. The only problem I see is that the top of the axle housing barely clears the flat servo arm as it is when the shocks are compressed. I doubt I could fit a servo saver in there, but a wide servo arm with a couple of added holes would work just as well here. I may look into that, thanks for the suggestion!

As an added note, I've replaced the receiver with a smaller one to make room under the bed for the battery as well. It was too top-heavy with the battery in the bed. It definitely made a noticeable difference.

Oh yeah, the stock VMG wheels were a bit wide actually, if you notice in the videos the front fenders were pushed out wider to cover them. These 1.9" wheels are cut up and use the centers of the stock wheels glued into the back to get the right track, and to make them fit the 8mm hubs too!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #17

New video up and running. Linking to the post on scale, cant embed it here...

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11419