Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: K5 Shortbed build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Aaawwww Sheeeeeeeep!

ok here we go again!
I repositioned the rear end and reconected the leafs a bit further forward, (using exsiting holes in the chassis) but it looks like I am still going to have to move forward a hair or two. I am thinking about half an inch might do the trick...

Of Course I am probably going to have to remove the front bumper, and either fab up a stinger or some sort of tube bumper to attach to the front of the chassis... as the front end is right there and the wheelwells in the front really dont give me anywhere to go....
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Thats a nasty pinion angle in the rear driveshaft that will HAVE to be dealt with, but other than that, looks sweet!
66shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66shift View Post
Thats a nasty pinion angle in the rear driveshaft that will HAVE to be dealt with, but other than that, looks sweet!
Chances are once I lift the driveshaft off the table, and shorten it up and reattach it it will mellow out that angle a bit.... If you look at the front Driveshaft you'll see that it is mounted a bit higher up.. THanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

i like the turn around . wheels look great. i came up for a neme for the F350 murder.
LEWIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

Ok so i am now almost at the point of no return.. I'm using a peice of tape to get the location of the original chassis holes and am going to transfer that to a peice of heavy paper, this way I can punch started holes into the frame for the new suspension location and then hack off the back end of the frame...
getting nervous now....
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Default Yikes!

I remember when my boy Crawler king was nervous about fab work, now he is frame chopping! Makes the crafter proud!
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Default little trick

here is my first attempt at a 2.2 scalish machine. I cut the directionals off the grill piece and trimmed the fenders even with that line. It always bought me enough room for the 2.2 mashers
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
ok here we go again!
I repositioned the rear end and reconected the leafs a bit further forward, (using exsiting holes in the chassis) but it looks like I am still going to have to move forward a hair or two. I am thinking about half an inch might do the trick...

Of Course I am probably going to have to remove the front bumper, and either fab up a stinger or some sort of tube bumper to attach to the front of the chassis... as the front end is right there and the wheelwells in the front really dont give me anywhere to go....
Ok so I started drilling...
here is the new shot with the body kind of mounted (yet to be secured of course...

And a close up of the rear wheel well

I dont know Im gettting kind of frustrated.... Im right there, and it looks like I am going to just have to open up the wheel wells a bit...
As its my first attempt who knows.. once I finish it I might just try and unload it and start something new....
Grrrrrr stupid scaler....

Last edited by crawler_king; 01-23-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

man ur right. you don't whant to go to short. lut me check it out. and see what we can come up with. don't give up
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #70
RCC Addict

You know that they wheel well isn't quite in the correct location based on the 1:1. We could cut it out and move it, or we could stretch the bed, or take the rear curve and open up that wheel well a touch.

If you want I can get some pics of the Ford's rear quarter panels for reference for you tomorrow.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Ok I dont know what all was wrong with me last night... musta been a case of the full moon crazies... I am feeling confident in my build once again... Today it gets the dremel!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

im sorrry but i dont like it. the tile says k5 short bed and thats a ford

my friend has a black foot thet sits on his shelf. his dad built it when he was yonger
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
im sorrry but i dont like it. the tile says k5 short bed and thats a ford

my friend has a black foot thet sits on his shelf. his dad built it when he was yonger
Hmmm yes your right, Infact the original body wasnt even a K-5 chevy... It was a K-10.. OMG Its also a Hi-lift.. Those are f-350's... Or toyotas... and it isnt that either....

Bottom line is I am well aware that I changed directions and went back to Ford.. All the Clod bodys that I was bidding on kept getting away from me.. So I came across this sad little blackfoot body.. "It cried to me, all my life I've wanted to be a real 4x4, I was born the bastard child of a classic scale truck and a frog.... I was only 2wd.... Please help me crawler king... Make me a prince amongst shortbeds everywhere......" So I took poity on it and like a goddfather I said "ehhh yous ish gonna get your wish" next hting its here and getting ready to go onto a 4wd chassis... and the plain old k-10 body was relegated to the dungeon as is only fitting for a chevy...

Just kidding and had WAAAYYY to much coffee.. I wish I could edit the title, have since I learned that the pickup is a K-10, the K-5 is the blazer, And finally since I am going with the F-150 blackfoot...
Enought of an explination...

OH BTW I LOVE IT! and thats all that matters!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

yeah, if you like it then who cares. its your truck and you can do what ever you want to do with it.

i am making a k5 blazer with some wk axles and they are wide but i dont care, its a balzer and im happy.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Default Increasingly incorrectly named k-5 buildup LOL!!!

Yep that got me inspired to get working on her some more.. I was going to take a break, but I felt I got called out by a 13 yr old (jst kidding bigblazerboy, you gave me a kick in the a**)
So here we go..
Dr Fink is demonstrating how not to prepare to cut somthing with a power tool.. no saftey glasses...

After the first rail is cut, no going back now!!!!!

test fitting the body....I think Dr Fink wants to get in and go....
and the full frontal money shot.. I think I may have to come up a hair or two, as well as mod the body by shaving out the fender flares a hair..
But all in all I am happy with it now....
Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Nice job Dr Fink . I like .
Old 01-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Default Sickest looking blackfoot ever!

Hey king, she is looking good! I was a bit shocked to hear about the Major surgery you had planned but it turned out cleaner then I could pull off. One quick question and I only ask this cause I feel a bit like "uncle carcrafter" on this one. Is that how you are going to have that body sit on the chassis? I think it is sitting a bit on the Hi side. (cheap body lift) If you brought the body down a hair and made an adapter for the body tilt that came with the Hi Lift you could make it tilt back like a funny car. Thats what me and matt did with the Baron.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

looks some what better. jk i like those fords because my neighbor let me drive his 86 f150. and i like old square trucks
Old 01-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrafter View Post
Hey king, she is looking good! I was a bit shocked to hear about the Major surgery you had planned but it turned out cleaner then I could pull off. One quick question and I only ask this cause I feel a bit like "uncle carcrafter" on this one. Is that how you are going to have that body sit on the chassis? I think it is sitting a bit on the Hi side. (cheap body lift) If you brought the body down a hair and made an adapter for the body tilt that came with the Hi Lift you could make it tilt back like a funny car. Thats what me and matt did with the Baron.
Hmm I actually felt that the body in the last set of pics was a bit to low...
I still have to let Dr Fink remove the front bumper so that I can line things up a bit better.... Still have to work on teh electonics so that I can try driving this pig...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Ohhhh, I meant in the picks where the body were level. I think the last pics you posted, it was pretty close. You know it is wierd, I love the new tires but the Hummers as they sit look too military for an F150. LOL I seem to do nothing but gripe about what you are doing with this truck lately. Ignore me, it is perfect...get it out for some action shots! Is it still rolling on stock leafs or did you mod the spring packs? When you get her mocked up again I would love to see how she flexes.