Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Power Wagon 6x6 Crew Cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Power Wagon 6x6 Crew Cab

Okay, if you followed my previous build, the Swivel Frame Power Wagon in the 1.9 section, you know I have a thing for oddball Power Wagons. Here's the next one:

Most are aware that the Power Wagon came in a crew cab:

Some are aware that there are 6x6 Power Wagons:

But, few have seen a 6x6 Crew Cab:

Teaser mock up shot:

I plan to cut the bed in the middle of the rear fender, and extend it to the proper length. I have a custom aluminum plate chassis that I am extending for this build. I'm not sure if I'm doing leafs in the front or a four link, just for fun. It will definitely have leafs in the rear.

I have four unbuilt AX-10 axles, which I will be using to make the front, rear, and center axles.

Other parts on hand include AX10 transmission, Mamba Max, Spektrum DX3, Pro-Line Masher M3's, etc...

Let the fun begin!
OlYelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks like it will be a totally awesome build. I would say for realism, do leafs in the front as well. And is your chassis going to be like aluminum plate cut down to 2 frame rails? And just curious, but where in the world did you find a Dodge Power Wagon Body??? Anyway, good luck with your build. I will for sure be keeping up with this one.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The body was made by Pro-Line. I've had it about 5 years. I don't think you can find them easily any more. My only reason for thinking of putting links in the front is to help performance. I'd really like this to be as capable as possible too...
Old 03-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

WOW WOW WOW
Your swivel frame power wagon was awesome, but this is gonna be way more awesome, great idea
MoPar or no car
MoParmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I got the axles built up today. Not really too difficult. Front and rear axles are just normal. Center axle is two of them put together. Rear output of the center axle ends up turning backwards, so the rear axle actually has to be flipped upside down so it will turn the wheels the correct direction.
Now I have to do some trimming and work on the proper mounts for them.

That left me with one complete Axial axle with no driveline inputs. Trailer axle! That will be my next project.

And here's my electronics all ready to go:

Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

great start
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

god dammit man if i see one more 6x6 build that pile of TLT axles in my rc room is gonna get put to use!!

awesome looking truck im definetly watching this one.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

i loved you last build .. this one is gonna be SWEEEEET .... for the middle axle you jest used 2 of the same halfs right??? i would lie kto make a 6x6 some time after i finish the build im doing now
redneck909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice..... It's good to see some old PW builds, and this looks like it going to be sweet. Keep the pics coming
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Awesome.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Got some more done on the 6x6. I am doing this build with as much stuff as I can that I have laying around, so bear with me. This is going to be a runner, not a show piece. I made a center spring mount using some hand Dremeled Delrin block, and a couple chunks of 1/2" aluminum angle I had. I extended a homemade chassis I had that wasn't being used for anything with scrap aluminum plate that was hanging around. Bolted everything up, and here's what I have so far.

I will be raising the skid plate about 1/2" or a little more. I need to shorten my front links a tad, make four short rear links, mount rear shocks.......

Far from done, but I wanted to post some progress. I happen to have 6 TLT shocks here, so I think I am going to run those, no springs. The front will be droop, and the rear has the leafs. I only have 4 black wheels with M3 Mashers. I will be ordering another pair.

More to come.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

thats bad a$$ dude
jdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Looks good
Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I like this a lot. I'm not sure how well it will work, but it will look damn cool doing it!
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i like what you are doing keep up the good work
BigKRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i like the inverted leaf setup. a lot of our trucks at work are like that, i think if i doe a 6x6 i'll do the same.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 AM   #17

Your swivel is the boobs, this might top it. I wish ProLine would make that body again, even though I just found two in a shop on a road trip. I cant seem to load a lot of the page so forgive me if you mentioned it, but are those back wheels the RPM narrows? The Mashers look good on those wheels. Lovely start so far man!!
Crawler-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Yes, the wheels are the RPM Narrow.

I've been working with the shocks some today. As usual, I like the way the TLT shocks look, but I'm not happy with their travel/performance/etc. I've got them on the back still, already replaced the fronts, and will probably end up replacing the one's on the back too.

It's not super flexy, but I had expected/planned on that. Honestly, it's a 6x6 crew cab Power Wagon. I don't think 1:1 rigs come less flexy...

I'll get some pictures snapped in a few minutes.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Here's some pictures. Like I said, the tire range of motion is mostly limited by the shocks that are on it now. Once the body is done and mounted, I will see if I have any extra room to allow more travel. I don't want the body mounted sky high, so this may end up about right.

:grin:
Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

This is soooo cool.

I have a question on the center diff.
Do the pinions line up, could you have extended the pinion shaft so the same shaft goes all the way thru the housing?

That way you could mount the rear diff right side up, gaining a little pinion clearance. or wouldn't that matter in the long run

If I build a scaler it would be a 6x6, so i'll be following ur progress

Looks Great
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote